GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to bleed my rear brake system and where is the anti-plunger bleed valve.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The anti-dive bleeder is on the front left above the caliper. the bleeding sequence for the pedal is : 1-left front upper valve, 2-right front lower valve, 3-rear lower valve, 4 anti-dive, 5-rear upper.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm trying to bleed my rear brake system and where is the anti-plunger bleed valve.

Are you talking about the anti-DIVE bleed valve?? If so, the bleeder is under the rubber cap at the top of the anti-dive actuator mounted on the lower left fork tube. Would be best to remove the front half of the front fender to get easy access to it. Watch out for spillage because DOT4 will harm paint.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The anti-dive bleeder is on the front left above the caliper. the bleeding sequence for the pedal is : 1-left front upper valve, 2-right front lower valve, 3-rear lower valve, 4 anti-dive, 5-rear upper.
The manual say says on page 5-12

Right front caliper lower side bleed valve
Rear caliper lower side bleed valve
Ant-drive plunger bleed valve
Rear caliper upper side bleed valve

So which one is it?

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
The manual say says on page 5-12

Right front caliper lower side bleed valve
Rear caliper lower side bleed valve
Ant-drive plunger bleed valve
Rear caliper upper side bleed valve

So which one is it?
The rear pedal is also hooked into both front calipers. You better do as Winghead said or you are asking for trouble.

·
Registered
261 Posts
What manual do you have? I'm looking in the Honda service manual, on 16-10 it gives the sequence I gave you for "pedal brake line fluid filling/air bleeding" this is under the heading "brake bleeder not available". I have speed bleeders installed on my bike and I use this sequence.

On page 16-11 under the heading "brake bleeder available " it gives the sequence you stated, and again on 16-12 under the heading "brake bleeder not available" , so that should be clear as mud.

You'll notice the only differance is weather you start with the left front upper or just skip that. It may be because the 16-10 sequence is for "fluid filling", so the front brake lever is done first, then the rear. If you're only doing the rear go ahead and skip it and see what happens, you could allways try again with the 16-10 sequence.

In my opinion a Honda shop manual is a neccesity when working on the gl1800.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Date of issue 2002
@honda at honda motor co.

I saved the 2 pages but it's 783K and too large to up load. If you could PM me your email I could send it to you.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Oh no!!!

These type of DIY questions get me kind of nervous!!!
Please be sure you know what you are doing or it could go like so :eek:4:

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What manual do you have? I'm looking in the Honda service manual, on 16-10 it gives the sequence I gave you for "pedal brake line fluid filling/air bleeding" this is under the heading "brake bleeder not available". I have speed bleeders installed on my bike and I use this sequence.

On page 16-11 under the heading "brake bleeder available " it gives the sequence you stated, and again on 16-12 under the heading "brake bleeder not available" , so that should be clear as mud.

You'll notice the only differance is weather you start with the left front upper or just skip that. It may be because the 16-10 sequence is for "fluid filling", so the front brake lever is done first, then the rear. If you're only doing the rear go ahead and skip it and see what happens, you could allways try again with the 16-10 sequence.

In my opinion a Honda shop manual is a neccesity when working on the gl1800.

You were right, The manual I down load is WRONG. Printed in 2002.
I'm going to start another thread on the problem we found.

Thanks.

·
Registered
261 Posts
These type of DIY questions get me kind of nervous!!!
Please be sure you know what you are doing or it could go like so :eek:4:
If you don't feel comfortable with your abilities to bleed your own brakes then by all means pay a mechanic to do it for you.

Bleeding the brakes on a gl1800 is a little more involved since it has 7 differant bleed valves, but it's not rocket science, bleeding 1 valve is the same as bleeding another, just follow the right sequence and keep the master cylinder full as you go. You may have to repeat the sequence several times to get all the air out. And of course road test the bike carefully.

How are you going to kill yourself by bleeding your own brakes, forget to tighten the bleeder valves back down then jump on the freeway?

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
You were right, The manual I down load is WRONG. Printed in 2002.
I'm going to start another thread on the problem we found.

Thanks.
The manual isn't wrong. You are reading it wrong. I have the same manual revision you have.

If you look back at the page where you found the 4 steps you listed in your post yesterday, you omitted the first step, which is described in the paragraph right above your list.

Even though the sequence is the same, the page you took that from is from the section for filling an empty system, not the final air bleeding. Honda's flushing method is a 3 step method, which nobody follows. They want you to empty the system, then fill it with a bleeder, then manually air bleed it. That is why the procedure appears to be listed twice.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
It's on top of the antidive. Visible in the bottom photo on the left with the rubber cap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts