GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, 1st time posting here but have been reading lots since this site was suggested. My wife and I just upgradded to a 2002 gold wing and are planning to start doing some touring. A few hundred miles per day for a few days to start with. I've been researching riding gear / protective ware (mesh , coats , suits, rain gear, underware). Wondering what common thought is for 1st things to get. (other than helmets which we have ). I know from scuba diving that there is an order which makes most sence. So what is it you'd not be without when heading out? If there is a previous thread going this direction maybe just point me in that direction. Thankx.

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Howdy and welcome from the high Rockies!!

Boy are you in for a real treat if you've upgraded from that ride that's along side your wing in your avatar.....

Bet your wife is real happy now!!! :joke:

Looks like you've got a backrest, how about highway pegs?

Something to hold a cold beverage going down the road would be good, most folks around here use the Butler mug, ugliest thing on the bike but it sure works good!

Other than that, just ride it for awhile till the bike tells you what it needs, trust me, it will!

Come on out for Rockies Gold in September to meet some of the finest folks on this forum and ride that scoot in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado!

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269514&highlight=rockies+gold

Be safe and enjoy that new ride!

And don't worry about that silly grin you've got now, you'll get used to it!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Welcome

My order for gear would be:

Helmets
Gloves
Boots
Jackets
Pants

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
:congrats: and welcome! Make sure you can layer and stay dry!:thumbup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
where to begin

protective gear goes without saying. The intercom until we had one, was something that could be done without; actually it adds alot to the ride. The 2010 came with the intercom standard, the dealer threw in the rest. Once you use it, you get spoiled.:shrug:

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Basic safety gear is a given. Beyond that you might want to take a few day or 2 day rides before deciding on what you "must" have. You will get some good advice here but... take it all with a "grain of salt" and decide for yourself what YOU need or want. Some will tell you very matter of factly that you MUST have certain things. Ain't necessarily so. What works for one may not work for another. What one can't do without might be useless to another.

Sounds like you are just getting into some "touring". Learn from experience and enjoy the adventure.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the fun. You will lots of good advice and I only echo "safety/comfort apparel."

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
go to honda dealership, and do a check on the Vin #, to make sure all the upgrades were done! Most likely they have, but worth checking. Beside good riding gear, comfort is next, then amount of lights for nite vision of being seen. Lots to speed all your spare money on $$$$$ Enjoy and feel free to ask dumb questions, we all started there at one time! Gratz. :joke:

·
Registered
127 Posts
ride safe

1) Good boots- preferably water resistant and 6+ inches
2) Better jacket-get one with venting and removable liner-kevlar or one of the high grade denier(sp)
3) rain gear- you usually need it quick, so make sure it fits over your jacket
4) gloves-gauntlets for cold,standard full finger for nice days and a summer pair
Sometime later your comfort will be a priority. A $20 pad from Walmart will get you a few hundred miles futher.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Gear up

:congrats: and welcome.
What I think is needed:
Smile.
Good sunscreen.
Really good shades. Shirt Shoes n pants.
Everything else is optional i.e. up to you!(unless required by law).

Oh, and don't forget the smile. :lol:

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Hi all, 1st time posting here but have been reading lots since this site was suggested. My wife and I just upgradded to a 2002 gold wing and are planning to start doing some touring. A few hundred miles per day for a few days to start with. I've been researching riding gear / protective ware (mesh , coats , suits, rain gear, underware). Wondering what common thought is for 1st things to get. (other than helmets which we have ). I know from scuba diving that there is an order which makes most sence. So what is it you'd not be without when heading out? If there is a previous thread going this direction maybe just point me in that direction. Thankx.
First, welcome to the forum! There is a ton of good info here and two tons of BS to sort out. :joke:

Rain Gear: Get something that will breath like Gortex. It's not cheep but is well worth the price. Some folks have had good luck with "frog togs". There is nothing worse than riding in the rain and your are all wet from sweating in a plastic suit. I got my Gortex jacket & pants at Bass Pro sporting goods.

Mesh Jacket/Pants: I have a First Gear mesh jacket. It's good up to about 90 deg with a t-shirt underneath.

Gloves: get some light weight gloves, cold weather gloves, and waterproof gloves. Watch for seams in the palm of the gloves. After a couple hundred miles that seam will start to bug you...Don't ask how I know.

Shoes: Boots, over the ankle, and waterproof for those rainy days. I have some 11" pull on waterproof boots from Red Wing. Not cheep but, again, well worth the cost.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
protective gear goes without saying. The intercom until we had one, was something that could be done without; actually it adds alot to the ride. The 2010 came with the intercom standard, the dealer threw in the rest. Once you use it, you get spoiled.:shrug:
All goldwings since at least '93 have had an intercom standard.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
As a minimum for summer riding you will need ventilated mesh riding jackets with removable liner and elbow and shoulder armor and a good pair of summer riding gloves.

Over the ankle boots should also be worn.

As you ride, see other riders, and read posts here you'll learn more about the riding gear you will choose.

When I started riding again a year ago after a 30 year absence I asked an old friend where to shop and what to buy. He suggested "New Enough" now renamed Motorcycle Gear. It's an internet vendor. You can shop their website to read the product descriptions and see their prices. They are an excellent source but there are many others.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Get a gerbings heated jacket for you and the wife when the weather gets cooler, you will both love them and never regret spending the money for them.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
A 12volt compressor and a set of sticky rope plugs with adhesive. Your tires are tubeless and it would be a shame to be stuck waiting a tow when a quick repair could get you to town

Small accurate tire pressure gauge, check before every ride.

If you suffer arthritis, as I do, a throttle rocker will come in very handy to relieve pain in your throttle hand when you cannot use the cruise.

A small container of ibuprofen or pain relief of choice.

A side stand puck for pulling over at that must see cool spot with less than perfect side stand parking surface.

Sun screen.

Spare fuses for every fuse box size.

A small spray bottle of peroxide and a microfiber towel for cleaning bugs off the windshield. Especially when riding at night.

These are the little things often over looked in threads like this which we have found a requirement for every ride.

·
Registered
921 Posts
WELCOME FROM CANADA. JUST RIDE FOR THE FIRST WHILE AND SEE WHAT OTHER RIDERS HAVE THAT YOU AND YOUR WIFE WOULD FIND TO ADD TO YOUR COMFORT. THIS IS OVER AND ABOVE THE SAFETY ITEMS. KEEP WATCHING SOME OF THE SITES AND YOU WILL FIND WHAT YOU WILL WANT FOR COMFORT AND RIDING SAFETY. REMEMBER WHAT YOU WANT, YOU WILL NEED 2 OF ONE FOR YOU AND ONE FOR YOUR WIFE. IF YOU KEEP HER HAPPY YOU WILL HAVE MANY ENJOYABLE RIDES.
KEEP THE SHINEY SIDE UP AND THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN AND ENJOY.......:congrats:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thankx much to all for the warm welcomes and great suggestions. Some I had not even thought of. "Tulsawalk", what is a throttle rocker?
"Podo", we upgraded from a 1983 1100GW so not quite as big a change from the 50 minitrail...................but close. Our 50 is our neighborhood cruser.
Shaggy, I picked up on the walmart pad discussion last week and got one. BIG difference!
Thank you all again.
Code:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Helmet, gloves, boots, Jacket and riding pants.

And a good attitude.

Just say to yourself each ride, look stupid, pay attention. Be observant. Ride safe and watch them.

They are not going to watch you, so you have to watch them.

The rest of it, you will discover as you go.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts