GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a used trailer and looking at the tires they have small cracks in between the tread. Is it time to replace? And being a novice at this when buying what should look for? Other than matching to the old tires spec. The tires are 8 inch.also I repacked the wheel bearings. Thanks in advance. Roger SWOHIO:shrug:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Those kind of tires and rims are available at Walmart in 2 different sizes. They are pretty cheap, so figuring the trailer is stored for extended periods of time the tires are probably fairly old. New tires would be in order... Cheers..:doorag:

·
Registered
748 Posts
You can always look at the date code, 4 digit if made in 2000 or later; 3 digit prior to 2000.

In the form 1107 for 11th week 2007, or 107 for 10th week 1997, or 1987 or 1977, etc.

Common wisdom seems to be that about 5 years is age limit for a tire, but I think there are a lot of variables, including how you store it, are they covered from sunlight, kept aired up properly, etc.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Just bought a used trailer and looking at the tires they have small cracks in between the tread. Is it time to replace? And being a novice at this when buying what should look for? Other than matching to the old tires spec. The tires are 8 inch.also I repacked the wheel bearings. Thanks in advance. Roger SWOHIO:shrug:
www.redtrailers.com
215-538-1155

Sound like its time to replace to me. Matching specs on the tire is the only thing I know to do. Try redtrailers.com . I just bought some 12 wheels chrome wheels and tires from them. They were the best on line price I could find. HF was a little cheaper but was going to be back ordered for long time on the wheel. Red Trailer shipped the wheels in just a few days.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Harbor Freight, chrome, 4 lug, with 4ply tire $60 plus ship.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tires for tow behind trailer.

Thanks for all the help. I went to Wally Mart they had my size but the rims were made of what I call pot aluminum. I order a set from redtrailer and they will be here next week. (white rims) and tax and shipping $25 lower than Wally.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Thanks for all the help. I went to Wally Mart they had my size but the rims were made of what I call pot aluminum. I order a set from redtrailer and they will be here next week. (white rims) and tax and shipping $25 lower than Wally.:thumbup:
Thats weird. I picked up a couple from Wally World and both were steel rims... Cheers..:doorag:

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I was just in Wally's yesterday and saw 8" tires with white painted steel wheels for 30 dollars. Your choice 4 lug or 5 lug.

Fred

07 Blue Wing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts