GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking real seriously for a 2012 GW.

Can't talk to local dealership.. way too high priced.

There's a couple volume dealerships in TN that have great prices.

I'm sure some of the members here have purchased from them.

Anything I should look out for?

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Southern Honda in TN is a good one to check out. Just beware of thier extended warranty, I personally and lots of other folks here feel that warranty is not worth it. I would just leave without purchasing any kind of warranty from them then get the extended warranty through our Board Sponsor - Direct Line Parts before your manufacturers warranty expires. Doesn't need to be done immediatly.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had good luck buying my '10 from Castle Powersports in Gallatin TN (just outside Nashville). Jeff S. treated me right and the guys in parts and service have proved solid from my perspective. I know they've got both '10s and at least one '12 in stock. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I bought my wing at Southern Powersports in Chattanooga, back in September 2011. Probably one of the biggest bike dealerships I've ever been in.

What you see on the showroom floor is about 1/4 of their inventory, I went in the back to their indoor storage area and it was as big as the showroom floor, but filled floor to ceiling with new bikes in boxes.

·
Banned
2,340 Posts
Try Terry Schroader at Schroaders Honda in Ashville. I hear they have great deals and many from here have bought from him.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
I bought my 2010 airbag from Southern in Chattanooga last July. They have a huge inventory and my local dealers could not come close to their pricing.
I also agree with what Fuze said. They will try to sell you their extended warranty, but I would just buy the real Honda warranty from HDL.
Non OEM warranties are usually not worth the paper they are printed on.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Try Sunrise Honda of Searcy Arkansas.I bought an ST1300 and a couple of friends bought Wings.I have a Wing now and found them to be cheaper than NC when I was Shopping around a year or so ago.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
I bought mine from the sister store in Shawnee, OK. Same owner as Searcy, AR. The dealer in Russelville, AR also quoted me a great price.

The 600+ mile roundtrip ride was cheap to save several thousand dollars!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Some of us wingers from Omaha buy our Gold Wings at Storm Lake Honda in Storm Lake, IA... they sell a ton of Gold Wings for such a small town. When I bought my 2005A, they beat the local dealers' price by $3000!
http://www.stormlakehonda.com/

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
I bought my 2007 ABS from Neosho Powersports in Neosho, MO. I could not have been more pleased. I drove 375 miles one way to buy from them and rode the bike home. I did the entire deal via email and got an OTD price from them and they matched the best price I could find at Southern Powersports.

No pressure to buy any accessories or extended warranty. I dealt with all of that up front.

I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Looking real seriously for a 2012 GW.

Can't talk to local dealership.. way too high priced.

There's a couple volume dealerships in TN that have great prices.

I'm sure some of the members here have purchased from them.

Anything I should look out for?

Thanks
Mike
Hi Mike,

I purchased a used 2008 from Mason City Honda, Mason City, IA..... I live in Florida and would go back
if I were in the market again.

Call them for a price. If they are competitive I would make the drive. Every last person (customers) I spoke
with when there spoke very highly of them.
One of the guys that came in to pick up a newly purchased wing drove down from Chicago.

RJ

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Some of these places sound like a long way to push the bike if it won't start. But then again you expect the dealer whom you did not buy from to service your bike. Can you really look these local dealers in the face when you need something fixed on your bike that you bought else where, talk about some large balls!!!

Dan L

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Some of these places sound like a long way to push the bike if it won't start. But then again you expect the dealer whom you did not buy from to service your bike. Can you really look these local dealers in the face when you need something fixed on your bike that you bought else where, talk about some large balls!!!

Dan L
IT IS HONDA'S WARRANTY NOT THE DEALERS, If any dealer gives you that bullsh&* about not purchasing it there CALL your Honda rep, I have had mine worked on in Four different states under warranty and NO problems...

·
Registered
239 Posts

Dan,

I am having a little trouble understanding your position.
Please let me know your thoughts.

I have to agree with the last poster. If I buy a bike, say yours when its time for you to sell, and I need service work done. If I don't live where you bought the bike, I then pay my local dealer or if I am on the road trip, the closest dealer to do repairs.

If the repair is a warranty type item then I hope we can expect the dealer to get reimbursed from Honda for the work. If it isn't a warranty type item then I can expect to pay the dealer for the work which includes a profit for the dealer.

Sure it is better to trade with a local merchant for all the obvious reasons however there are many situations where it just does not work out that way.

I just don't understand why you think it takes a big pair to purchase services from a shop where the bike was not purchased. They are still making a profit on the service, are they not?..

Thanks in advance for your perspective.

RJ

·
Registered
239 Posts

Dan L
Dan,

An additional point which may be worth mentioning;
Do the dealers you know sell to out of area buyers?

Owning a franchise has some reciprocal responsibilities.

RJ

·
Banned
3,074 Posts

Dan L
I visited my nearest dealer (I live 50 miles away) several times last summer and fall and test rode a new Goldwing at their insistence.

When I was ready to trade my ST1300 I called the primary salesman at the nearby dealer who I had spoken with several times. I asked him for his price and trade allowance. His price difference was about $3500 over riding my ST 340 miles to the dealer in Shawnee, OK and the new Goldwing home. That was an easy decision.

I have made several visits to the nearby dealer for warranty service to repeatedly bleed the brakes and ultimately replace the rear brake master cylinder to cure soft brakes.

I recently purchased their $1499 (PPM) which can be interpreted as "platinum maintenance program" or Prepaid Maintenance Program. It provides all routine service labor and parts for three years. I bought the PPM before having the 12k and 16k services performed. With 17,000 miles on the odometer in five months I figure to break even by the end of this year or early next year when I have the 24k service done. My regular maintenance service will be free service for the next two years.

The older salesman is not bitter and the service department and Goldwing tech could not care less where I bought the Goldwing. My money is the same to them.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts

Dan L
Using that logic - what's a fella supposed to do when the dealer they bought their bike from goes out of business like a lot are doing right now. What about your car? Do you only have warranty work done at the dealer you bought the car from? What happens when folks move? Do you think they should take the bike back to where they used to live to get work done?

Where you buy a bike from and where you get it worked on are two different things.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
I bought my '07 300 miles from home and my local dealer has NO PROBLEM doing warranty work on my bike. They get paid by Honda the same amount no matter where you buy the bike. Same for car dealers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts