GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is a good place to buy a Garmin (looks like the I- ways have problems) and also the mounts for the wing?
Does Hal carry these items?
I know I'm opening a can of worms here but which model of Garmin seems to be the most dependable?
I'm not looking for anything fancy, just a good basic unit that has speed, altimeter and good maps of the 48 states.
I'm also GPS ignorant :roll:
I have GPS on my farm equipment ( and before somebody says I need it so's I don't get lost in my fields.
It gives me yields, moister of grains and where in the field this all happens also draws a pretty picture of the field) and I get along with this GPS pretty well, so I have a start at it.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I have had a lot of units and the Garmin 2610 is just excellent for the bike, can be had new at a reasonable price on e-bat if you look, no moving parts to go bad such as a harddrive, uses compact flash which can be had on e-bay very cheap, I just got a 2 gig card for $50.00
be sure to go Garminhere is an example but I think you can get it for a little cheaper if Ypou look harder
http://cgi.ebay.com/GARMIN-STREETPILOT- ... 0040770278

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
If you're looking for a complete package, plug and play system, check with Jon on this board. His company website is www.goldwinggadgets.com. Another good place is www.cyclegadgets.com.

They may not be as cheap as ebay or some place like that, but they can provide expert advice, complete pacgages, after sale support, etc. I am also a complete novice, and it was very helpful to be able to consult when I ran into poor instruction form the manufacturer.

·
Registered
830 Posts
You might try getfeetwet.com I purchased my 2610 from them back in the summer. This was a new unit not refurbished. I paid 459.00 for it, and they also give you an extra one year of warranty for free. Last time I looked they still had some.

N Ga Rider

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
OK, here's my .02 worth.

The 2610 is a good unit, but I would look at the 2720 or 2730, depending on if you want "XM" features (radio, weather, traffic).

If you don't want the XM, look at the 2720. No memory card needed. Flash memory is self contained. It's waterproof and has "text-to-speech" capabilities which means it announces the road name and the POI (Points Of Interest).

Jon has a GREAT dash mount for these units and with the Kennedy cables (also available from Jon) the installation is painless and connectivity is plug-n-play!

Personally, I have the 2730, but that because I wanted the XM radio functions. The 2730 also has a built in MP3 player, Audio Book player and a lot of other cool features. I all depends on how much you want to spend.

Bartman

PS...I got my GPS from "GPSDiscount..com."

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
dtbmjax - aka Bartman said:
OK, here's my .02 worth.

The 2610 is a good unit, but I would look at the 2720 or 2730, depending on if you want "XM" features (radio, weather, traffic).

If you don't want the XM, look at the 2720. No memory card needed. Flash memory is self contained. It's waterproof and has "text-to-speech" capabilities which means it announces the road name and the POI (Points Of Interest).

Jon has a GREAT dash mount for these units and with the Kennedy cables (also available from Jon) the installation is painless and connectivity is plug-n-play!

Personally, I have the 2730, but that because I wanted the XM radio functions. The 2730 also has a built in MP3 player, Audio Book player and a lot of other cool features. I all depends on how much you want to spend.

Bartman...snip
I agree with this...I have a 2720...except I noticed that Cockleburr has an '06 wing...Jon hasn't finished the design of the dash mount for the '06...yet...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts