GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know... Sounds kinda stupid. I checked the book and it says the oil dipstick is on the right (as I am sitting on it). It says to take a cover off. It appears that this may be the chrome plastic cover that is right above the brake pedal. I found a notch underneath this plastic piece. It pops out a little when tugged from the bottom but not very much. I cannot seem to get it out though. It hits under the fairing and there doesn't appear to have enough room to pull it out. I see a clear plastic vent like thing that almost looks like a mini cowling. This appears to be snapped into another plastic strip (chromed). I am wondering do I need to take that off first?

I am being cautious to avoid breaking the plastic pieces. Maybe overly cautious.

So what is the correct way to check it?

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I use the clasp end of a small nylon strap tie to pop mine off. I slip it under and slide it around until it grabs then just pop it off. I've also used the paint can openers that look like bottle openers. However I like the nylon strap tie the best.(cable tie, whatever the correct name is)

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Your on the right track. I start at the bottom edge of the plastic side cover (chrome piece you described) and pull out while working my way up to the frame. The plastic thingie has a tab on it that must be pulled away from the fairing (top corner next to the clear plastic tab on the head).

Anyway, its confusing to describe it. The tabs all pull free and out away from the bike and the top tab attaches just under the fairing pulls back towards the back of the bike. Once you get a cover off, you will see how it all goes.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I put a little bit of silicone grease on each grommet before replacing the covers. I keeps the posts from pushing the grommets out. I have already lost one.

G

·
yes on the grease to keep the grommets in place. I have lost one, and one was missing when I got mine.
As far as I can gell, that little clear plastic piece in front is a place to hook your finger to help line things up when re-installing the panel.

Don't be quite so gentle, you'll get it. I was the same way once.

·
Registered
359 Posts
yes on the grease to keep the grommets in place. I have lost one, and one was missing when I got mine.
As far as I can gell, that little clear plastic piece in front is a place to hook your finger to help line things up when re-installing the panel.

Don't be quite so gentle, you'll get it. I was the same way once.
As suggested previously on this board, you might also want to put a small cable tie on each of the grommets to help keep it in place. If you use a small one (cable tie) it wont interfere with the holding function of the grommet and the silicone will help with removal and replacement.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Agree with what everyone has said

On a side note, your post makes me continue to appreciate my dealer....he INSISTED I pick up my Wing on a weekday morning...that way he could spend about 1.5hrs with me going over the motorcycle

full inspection and showed how to check and change the oil among other things

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Checking oil on GL 1800

Good info thanks guys. :thumbup: I wondered what the clear things were for. Now I know.. I will pick up some silicone grease too. I can see how using the wire ties would indeed give me the leverage to pull it out.

I must say I have enjoyed the posts and answers. I am learning a lot about my goldwing. :excited:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
The little clear plastic piece is a rain diverter. Without it it will fill up your boots.

Kit

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
You also need to pull "down" so the part that goes under the seat comes out without stress. It's actually very much easier to do if you take off the seat.

Don't forget to leave your cap unscrewed when checking the oil level. The "tighten gently" in this pic describes the reverse connector nut. While you're in there, check if it's tight enough, but be gentle.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The dipstick should be right there on the right side as you sit. TAking off the chrome cover is all you should be need to do.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Just a thought on my part but my owners manual has some really spiffy pictures and a step by step process to remove the side cover. I'm pretty sure an 08 owners manual also has those same pictures and explanations. I'm just say'n.....;)

G

·
I know... Sounds kinda stupid. I checked the book and it says the oil dipstick is on the right (as I am sitting on it). It says to take a cover off. It appears that this may be the chrome plastic cover that is right above the brake pedal. I found a notch underneath this plastic piece. It pops out a little when tugged from the bottom but not very much. I cannot seem to get it out though. It hits under the fairing and there doesn't appear to have enough room to pull it out. I see a clear plastic vent like thing that almost looks like a mini cowling. This appears to be snapped into another plastic strip (chromed). I am wondering do I need to take that off first?

I am being cautious to avoid breaking the plastic pieces. Maybe overly cautious.

So what is the correct way to check it?
I assume that you bought your 08 from a Honda Dealer, and he didn't even take the time to show you how to check the oil :?::?::?: :22yikes:. If that is the case, find another dealer to work with.

Ride safe

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Might be a good idea to put your location in your profile so folks know where you live. You may have a fellow Winger close by who might spend an hr. or two going over things you should know about your Wing. When you're done you and your new found buddy can go for a ride. Many safe miles on your new Wing. :congrats:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Has anyone ever gently cut a hole in the side cover large enough to check the oil w/o removing the cover? Maybe I'm nuts but I check the oil a lot. :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Oil check

Check the oil? Who bothers with that. Drain the oil, put back in one galllon and ride till the next oil change. :lol:

·
Registered
973 Posts
We're supposed to check the oil?

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
My 08 and 03 both have the rain diverter.

Check your oil once so you know how it's done, then how ever often you need to to be comfortable. I have never heard anyone report that they had a GL1800 that needed to have oil added.

Is anyone else aware of an 1800 that uses oil?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts