GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up a new (2010) GW today at Lawrenceville Honda outside Atlanta today and will be riding it back to Oregon. I want to change the oil when I get about 1000 miles on it which will be somewhere near Kansas City. Does anyone know where I can dispose of the used oil in that area? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Any oil change shop should take it. Also Autozone and Advanced auto parts take it as well.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Park over a storm drain at Wally World and let it rip. :lol:

Personally I would go the 4K , there is a reason for that.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Walmart. Buy everyting that you need to complete the change right there in there parking lot. Then dispose of it all in there trash. They'll take the spent oil off your hands too.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193593

Please tell me you were joking about the storm drain, Kit...:shock:..

Between the filter and the drain bolt, you'll be fine. Mine was still golden brown when I drained it at 4k.

I will not tell.........:joke:

Last cross country I stopped at a Harley shop and put Harley oil in the bike. Actually not Harley oil, it was Mobile One. 10/30 extended use, without moly.

Harley shops are open on weekends and on Monday many times. Good to know, took em about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Just ride it home it will be fine...enjoy the ride! :thumbup:

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
If no storm drain is available, pour it down a fence row. Great as a weed killer! ;)

Do they still use used oil on the back of cows to control flies? Maybe chase down a cow and pour it on her. She might be a friend for life. :eek:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Problem solved. The dealer did recommend changing it between 600 and 1000 miles, so I bought 4 quarts and a filter from them and changed the oil in the parking lot at an O'Reilly Auto Parts store in Fort Smith Arkansas. I had 750 miles on the bike at that point. O'Reilly supplied a pan and funnel and took the used oil. The whole thing took 30 minutes.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Problem solved. The dealer did recommend changing it between 600 and 1000 miles, so I bought 4 quarts and a filter from them and changed the oil in the parking lot at an O'Reilly Auto Parts store in Fort Smith Arkansas. I had 750 miles on the bike at that point. O'Reilly supplied a pan and funnel and took the used oil. The whole thing took 30 minutes.
Your dealers is out to make money on you or he does not know what he is talking about..Honda says 4000 on first change then every 8000 after that...anything before that is throwing money away....1000 miles on a v-twin may be right but not on the wing..My dealer had me come back around a 1000 miles only to do a safety check...

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

Personally I would go the 4K , there is a reason for that.
Be my luck I'd drop the drain plug down the sewer if I tried that. :22yikes::22yikes:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'm picking up a new (2010) GW today at Lawrenceville Honda outside Atlanta today and will be riding it back to Oregon. I want to change the oil when I get about 1000 miles on it which will be somewhere near Kansas City. Does anyone know where I can dispose of the used oil in that area? Thanks.

Westboro Baptist's compound ....... it's not too far from KS ... it might even be on your way home ...

·
Registered
645 Posts
I pour my old oil in the bottles it came in.I then donate it to gwrra meetings for 50/50 prizes.:thumbup:
That's just wrong.
Nice wish I'd done it:joke::joke::joke:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts