GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to run a fused 10a power connection to the trunk so that I can power an air compressor or charge a cell phone. The connections under the inner lid will only support 5a and that isn't enough for the compressor.

I have the seat off and am wondering if there is a spot better than another to drill through the trunk so I can feed the 2-conductor #16 wire into the trunk.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
927 Posts
No need to drill. There are holes in the front lower corners that the radio & CB antennas go thru. You should be able to run your there wire also.
Ride Safe
Ken

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
cakeman,

Those holes are only there if the CB and CD have been installed...

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
If you don't have a CB use that spot. If you were sitting on the back facing the rear( with seat removed), there is a spot on the trunk very low and to the left. It may have a faint X marked there already. If you do hav a CB.....I'd find a spot will not interfere with it. Might be bit trickier! Got a big trunk though......should find lots of places, but need to go in under the seat of course.

There are holes in the front lower corners that the radio & CB antennas go thru. You should be able to run your there wire also.
This is a good idea. those holes should be there alrady if not can drill it out a bit. Might be a pain though because the arm est has to go back on, and there is not much clearance under it.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Hello I put the socket (12 volt 15 amp) in the trunk lid to the left (standing behind the bike) of the remote lock/unlock act akt......gizmo.(actuator).LOL I used one that has a rubber cover that snaps on when not in use...chuck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hole? what for?

Did not drill a hole, just snuck a single 14 gauge wire in beside the radio antenna lead, and used the antenna ground screw for a ground for the power outlet. Use a three outlet power receptacle and you will be able to charge things while on the road, portable radio, cell phone, camera batteries Etc. while travelling. Run the power to the trunk through a relay so it is only hot while the accessories are on.
Rick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts