GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to have a Utopia backrest installed on my wing but I do not know whre to get one. So, where is the closest & best place to have a Utopia backrest installed? I live in Troy, Ohio (45373).

Thanks for your help,
Rusty

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Trapshooter

Not sure about who in your area might do this, but can tell you that it was not all that difficult to do. Good instructions. Once you get over cutting open your seat (small cut) the rest is easy. Check out their web site.

http://www.utpr.com/

Wheels

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Trapshooter said:
I am wanting to have a Utopia backrest installed on my wing but I do not know whre to get one. So, where is the closest & best place to have a Utopia backrest installed? I live in Troy, Ohio (45373).

Thanks for your help,
Rusty
Rusty,

Wheels is correct that it isn't that hard of an install. However, if you need someone to do it, I would try auto upholstery shops. Or, one of the Honda dealers in your area may have installed them on other's bikes. You could ask around there. Even if they haven't, as long as you trust them, let them do it, if willing.

Good luck... and you're gonna love the Utopia.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Utopia Seat Back

I did my own and I'm really not that handy. I bought a cheap extra long knife with a serated blade......came in REAL handy. My only problem was getting enough of the foam out to slide the inner mounting shaft down low enough so I could find the mounting hole for the mounting bolt to go through.

That became a chore. Took me several tries, but I agree, you will LOVE it.

It is worth all the trouble.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Neuhaus Cycles in Illinois has them today!

I ordered mine today.....189.95 plus 9.95 shipping to your door....call em toll free...nice lady knows her stuff in the accessories dept.

I called all over the country last two days..they have them now..standard and with removable unit for 225.00.

·
Registered
29 Posts
One Honda dealer I was at in Houston wanted 1 hr to install the backrest. Removing the seat (heated) takes about 5 minutes. The rest is per the instructions. For $70.00, I would consider doing it myself.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I just did mine myself, and I am not the best at stuff like that. But that being said, it was not hard at all. One hint, buy a serrated knife that is about 10 or 12 inches long with a good point. There is also a video of a guy on here somewhere that shows how to do it and it is very helpful. Try doing a search for Steve Saunders I believe.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I just did mine last saturday and it gave me fits. Once I figured out the knife I was using was about 2 inches too short I did ok. You need a sharp pointed, serrated edge knife at least 12 inches long. If my knife would have been long enough I would have had the job done in 30 minutes or less. With a short knife it took me almost 2 hours.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Call Utopia, it's near Canton/Akron area. For $20 they will install backrest in your seat while you wait. At least that's what they told me when I called.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts