GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to get a couple of spare keys made for my new 2010 GL1800 and went to Lowes where I've had Goldwing keys made before. They didn't have the right blank and sent me down the street to the local locksmith. They had one blank that would work, but it had the big plastic grip just like the original factory key. The last keys I had made for my old Goldwing were flat the full length and were easy to stash in my wallet, on the bike or elsewhere. The locksmith said the plastic base model was the only blank available for that key??? Does anyone know where I can get spares made with a flat base?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Run a search on keys with the search function. I got mine at Pep Boys. It is flat and works everything on the bike. I think three of them cost around four dollars. The code blank is a Axxcess 27.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Go to a locksmith. It will cost you a little more, but they usually have the correct blanks!:thumbup:

·
Registered
137 Posts
When I tried to get spare keys made for my 2010 I did have to go to a locksmith. I also wanted a key without the black cap. I was told that a blank was NOT available that did not have the black cap. I had them make my keys and then cut the black cap off one of them so I could carry it in my wallet. Problem solved!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Any Ace hardware store can make them i get them there. They even do chip keys.:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Wanted to get a couple of spare keys made for my new 2010 GL1800 and went to Lowes where I've had Goldwing keys made before. They didn't have the right blank and sent me down the street to the local locksmith. They had one blank that would work, but it had the big plastic grip just like the original factory key. The last keys I had made for my old Goldwing were flat the full length and were easy to stash in my wallet, on the bike or elsewhere. The locksmith said the plastic base model was the only blank available for that key??? Does anyone know where I can get spares made with a flat base?

I had my extra flat keys made at Home Depot but I had to explain to the guy that it is not a chip key and that the "r" in Axxess 27r means rubber and will not work because the center groove is not long enough.

He said that Axxess supplies most of their blanks so I told him to take the number 27 flat keys from his Axxess display and cut my keys. He said it would not work and I told him to cut them anyway and they worked.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Shortly after I bought my 2007, I went to my dealer and asked them for the other key because I had never received only one key with any new vehicle I have ever bought. There was no other key, but they did give me a new Genuine Honda blank key that I had to get cut somewhere else.

It might be worth asking your selling dealer for a key if you recently bought your bike.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
A couple of weeks ago someone posted that Home Depot was no longer carrying the Access 27 key blanks and the ones they had were pulled from the shelves. (rack)
I have no idea why they'd do that but my next visit to HD I looked to fine four #27 blanks in the box. They were cheap enough ($1.99 or there abouts) that I took all four of them.
They all work too,... everywhere! :thumbup: So, I can do anything I want to with them. I can cut them for use for the gas, trunk or pocket doors OR keep them as ignition keys too.

Oh, someone also said their replacement keys fit the ignition but NOT lock the wheel to the left. Maybe they forgot to 'push it in', don't know but mine does that too.

I'm happy! ...................... (doesn't take much these days to do that)
thecruiser

·
Registered
270 Posts
Got mine at K-Mart.....work perfect.....$1.37....:thumbup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Several of us here in West Texas have had spare keys made at our local Walmart. We cut them off and glue them in a plastic cap for our right glove box. Good Luck.

·
Registered
325 Posts
My friendly, neighborhood locksmith is an expert. :bow:

His prices are competitive. It costs no more to get a key you know will work right.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I searched this some time ago for my '04 and the actual G/wing blank is AXXESS 27 and I have in my notes, "not 27R". It seems the 27R from Lowes or H/Depot may not work.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I searched this some time ago for my '04 and the actual G/wing blank is AXXESS 27 and I have in my notes, "not 27R". It seems the 27R from Lowes or H/Depot may not work.
The Axxess 27R (with the rubber head) will work, I just got one from WalMart a couple of months ago. They just don't carry the plain head Axxess #27 anymore. Did the head cut-off and used a GL15 radio knob for gas and right pocket.
Piece of cake :thumbup:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK thanks. Now that you guys have given me the key blank number I'll be able to find one somewhere. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Put the key in a vice and sand or grind the plastic off so you can put it in your wallet.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
The 27R will work on the gas door and right storage pouch only......

Don't ask how I know that.:eek:4:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts