GL1800Riders Forums banner

Where to go?

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Hazle 
#1 ·
Heading out Wednesday for your great state. Will visit my sister in Grand Junction for a day or two. If you had only 2 more days before coming home where would one go from GJ? Home is the Swamp lands of Louisiana. Friends were there in your state 2 weeks ago and woke up to 24 degree weather. Should we pack heated gear or just go with our Olmypia Air Glide clothes with Liners? Sister has lived there 20 years and never been to see her as she will not ask me during Hunting Season. That jist aint rite..My mom says to NOT go to Durango as the roads are too curvy. I told her that is what a biker looks for?

#2 ·
Consider heading east on I-70 from Grand Junction, then south on 82 to Aspen, and from Aspen, over Independence Pass. That comes out just pass Twin Lakes on Hwy 24. Follow 24 to Buena Vista, and on to Salida. At Salida you can pick up highway 50 and ride the river canyon to Canon City. An alternative route is take 50 from Grand Junction on around Blue Mesa Reservoir, and over Monarch Pass into Salida.

If you take 50 from Salida to Canon City, you can catch 115 to Florence, and take 67 to Westcliffe. This will go on through to hook up with I-25 near Walsenburg, not far from Raton Pass if you wanted to head that way, south out of Colorado.

Just some ideas. Independence Pass is breathtaking. Monarch Pass is pretty nice too, but not as dramatic as Independence Pass. River canyon from Salida to Canon City is great for twisties. Ditto for parts of 67 up to Westcliffe--a couple of really tight, slow corners on there--be forewarned.

Enjoy Colorful Colorado!

#3 ·
Colorado National Monument just outside of GJ is beautiful. It won't take you a full day, but it's definitely worth seeing. Hiway 65 over Grand Mesa to the east of GJ is great and you can lengthen that trip by also taking hiway 92 along the north rim of the Black Canyon. That's a great road. Also, south of GJ, take hiway 141 through Gateway (great car museum there), then hiway 145 to Placerville and 62 over Dallas Divide. Lots of great riding with a base in GJ.

#5 ·
I'd be suprised if you did at the lower elevations but it can be colder in the mountains at any time of year. I rode up to Dillon this morning and it was 35 degrees and snowing on I70. Odds are you won't run into something like that but... It really depends on how "cold blooded" you are. I find it never hurts to pack long underwear when going to the mountains if you have room and DO take a pair of heavier gloves.

#6 ·
Thanks DKWinger thats what I need to know. Will wear Olympia Airglide 3 gear with liners in case. It was 104.7 here today.

#8 ·
Canyon Dancer reporting in

We came over two passes yesterday, Rabbit Ears and Cameron, both about 9,000 feet and just wore our Gold Wing Jackets with liners in them and Levi's. We were a little cold but only for the 1/hour going over each pass, then it warmed up as we got down to 8,000 feet and got almost too warm as we got down to the 7,000 foot level. It was 46 degrees at the top of each pass and it was a cloudy day. I doubt that you would need anything more than we had on. But it depends on your tolerance for temperature swings, some people are fine with temps in the 40's for short periods of time. If you are going to be at 7,000 feet for most of the ride or lower, regular motorcycle jackets should be fine. I do have thick motorcyle gloves along with heated grips that feel just fine at the higher elevations, then switch to light gloves with the heated grips on medium until I hit the 60 degree temps at 6,000 feet elevation. The mountains are spectacular this time of year, you'll see scenes that make you believe you are in Switzerland or the Alps. Even for us, who live here, we are awestruck with the beauty of our state! Enjoy! P.S. If you enjoy wine, be sure to visit the tasting room of Two Rivers Winery in Grand Junction, they produce 92 point score Cabernet, some of the best Colorado Wine you can buy (about $20 per bottle in the store).

P.S.S.
On second thought, If you are going to go over Trail Ridge Road / Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park at 14,000 feet, I would guess the temp at the top will be around 32 degrees and the wind usually blows pretty hard up there, you might want to carry extra warm stuff for there. If you do a normal "ride over", you will be at that altitude for about an hour with the stops along the way, so I'd dress accordingly for that. It never bothers me in normal riding jackets but you are used to warmer weather so your requirements are different from mine.

#9 ·
Earnhard if you want riding from Grand Junction theck out the rides on the Rockies Gold rides out of Montrose, CO. all great rides.

http://rockies-gold.net/MontroseRides/MontroseRides.htm

:agree:

I took all those routes and significantly modified them to suite my schedule two weeks ago (my friend and I covered all of them). I suggest the routes as a "planning point to deviate from". You will NOT be disappointed. After being in Shreveport for 10yrs, I don't see myself leaving this place - to hell with promotions. hehe

#10 ·
Thanks to all that took the time to respond. 2 days before we leave and my riding partner comes down with Viral Mennigitus so trip has been cancelled until mid July. We will be wearing Olympia Gear with/without liners so should be good to go at higher elevations for short periods of time.

#12 ·
Having never been to your fine State my people here are telling me to pack my gerbings but I have the Union Ridge Outerwear and they take a LOT of space to pack. I am not cold natured and have hardly ever worn my heated gear so I think even at high altitudes I would be ok for an hour. Do you guys think I need to pack my heated gear for the middle of next month. Will be around Gran Junction and only be there for about 4 days. Where is Pikes Peak (how close to GJ)? I will be bringing my Olympia Airglide 3 jacket and pants with liners (unheated).
Thanks,
Eddie

#13 ·
GJ will almost certainly be in the 90's. Cooler in the mountains but heated gear? I certainly wouldn't, but that's just me. Pike's Peak is over 250 miles from GJ. Colorado Springs nestles right up to it.
If it were me, I'd save the "front range" stuff for another time. Well over 200 miles each way from GJ. As Podo said, hit Grand Mesa (great ride), go to Ouray, Dallas Divide, Unaweep. Lots of nice rides on the western slope. My dad lives in GJ and the wife and I will be over there riding for a few days next week.

Give us some info on your planned route out here and we could probably be more helpful regarding what's within reach along the way.

Have fun!!

#14 ·
I agree that heated gear won't be worth bringing as GJ will be hot around that time.
You'll be riding the Grand Mesa just to cool off and it's at 10,000 feet.

If you want to ride a mountain from GJ, you might try Mt. Evans.
It's just a few miles from Idaho Springs off of I-70.
It's the highest paved road in America, 2nd highest in the world.

And 550 from Ouray to Durango?

If you can work that into your trip coming or going....
You will not be disappointed!

#17 ·
You can cover a lot of Colorado in 2 days if you are not afraid to ride a lot!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.