GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone seems to prefer the Ipod in the left fairing pocket hooked into the AUX cable. I'd like to hear how some have installed the Ipod in the trunk, in the space where the CD player once resided. Any disadvantages to this location? Seems to be much more secure from theft in a locked trunk. I plan to use the Ijet remote (wireless) to control the Ipod. Any suggestions?
John Friesen

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
You don't have to stow it away in the basement of the trunk. I have mine simply lying atop clothes/towel/whatever in the trunk so that it is readily available when you stop or need to attend to it for whatever reason. I also use the iJet remote, in my case it is the iJet2way.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I prefer my nano in the right pocket. I have this connected to an autoswitch with my sat. radio. The sat. radio has priority but when switched off, the ipod switches on. I purchased a cheap $9 cigarette lighter power supply for the nano ipod which I then gutted and hard wired off of the autoswitch to drop the 12v output to 5v. This keeps the ipod fully charged.

[/img]

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pardon my lack of info about the electrics of the GL1800, but I'm a newby to the Gold Wing. Putting it in the right fairing pocket would solve the problem of risking theft. Question is, which is the easier/better install, the trunk or the right fairing pocket? Is there a power and aux feed at the right side pocket as well as the left side? So the kit that can be purchased at EC can also be used on the right side?
Thnaks for the tips,
John

·
Registered
589 Posts
I ran with mine in the right pocket for a year or so and had problems with heat. The I-pod would lock up after a while. I now have it in the trunk in the mesh gadget holder installed in the top of the trunk lid. Haven't had a lock up since. I installed an 12VAC outlet and use the RemoteRemote2. Forgot to say that I ran a 6ft female to female extension form the Aux connector in the left pocket. Think the cable was $7 or so from Rat Shack.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I don't think its heat but rather shock the locks up the IPOD. It appears that the tiny hard drive with lots of storage (which will read ahead to a chip) will lock up with impact. You solved the shock issue by moving it. I solved it with foam. No more lockups.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.