GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone seems to prefer the Ipod in the left fairing pocket hooked into the AUX cable. I'd like to hear how some have installed the Ipod in the trunk, in the space where the CD player once resided. Any disadvantages to this location? Seems to be much more secure from theft in a locked trunk. I plan to use the Ijet remote (wireless) to control the Ipod. Any suggestions?
John Friesen

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I had the exact hook up your desribing and hated it. I wanted control and the i jet remote doesnt give it or at least not enough in my opinion. When you want to change from Shuffle to play lists you have to get off the bike to make the changes and so on. I tried the left fairing pocket and still found I didn't have the access I wanted. I like to be able to skip songs, make adjustments to the i pods volume, change play lists etc as needed and wanted.

I installed a ram mount and it worked great with one exception; the unit would lock up from the vibration. So I went out and bought a Nano and the problem is solved (flash drive). I can remove it in a matter of a few seconds and its so small I can slip it in any pocket while I'm off the bike. I leave it set with the backlight always on and find I can even make changes wearing gloves.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Guess it depends on how you use your iPod on your Wing. I put mine on shuffle mode and ride all day. So the fairing pocket works fine for me. I just have to remember to turn it on again after stopping for gas. (The harness from EC shuts off the iPod when the ignition is turned off.)

In any case, what works for one may not work for someone else.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've stuggled with this issue. I had an older iPod Mini and mounted it on the handlebars. It worked fine, never locked up. I now have a 30GB Video and had to put it in the left pocket because it would lock up when on the handlebars. I use the iJet remote but I don't like that I can't see the screen and it doesn't always work as you might expect and since you can't see the screen you don't know what's happening.

The problem is the vibration. If anyone comes up with a handlebar mount that can dampen the vibration I think we'll have the answer.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Holly has one of those little black bags that velcro around the gas tank lid. She just puts her ipod inside of it and can make changes to it on the fly without any problems. Her FM modulator is kept in the left side pocket and the wire from the modulator to the ipod is the only thing you see.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Jim, great link. Never knew that was available. got to get one & mount mine in trunk also. Thanks

·
Registered
243 Posts
I bought the iPod Radio Remote.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=MA070G/B

I keep the iPod in the left fairing pocket as usual, and dangle the remote out of the pocket (less the headphones) so I can pause, skip, volume, etc.

It is also very handy when my iPod is in my clothes pocket. I can keep the iPod control locked so I don't press the controls inadvertently, and I can still control it with the remote. The radio feature is obviously nice too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RAM mount for 3rd Gen Ipod

Has anyone had success with the 3rd Gen Ipod 20GB and RAM mounting it? Any special RAM mount (or other) that works best for vibration reduction and good access?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very nice.... neat.... boy are you handy!!
John

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
Ipods can have problems locking up when mounted to the handlebars.

I prefer to have mine in the RIGHT glove box, since it locks.

I also highly recommend the Griffin Air Click remote (around $20). I tried the iJet remote and was a bit disappointed with it's performance. The Griffin Air Click works perfectly every time.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ipod installation

I got the new video Ipod for Christmas and along with it a remote unit and control called Scosche. It works well and allows switching from standard or shuffle play to play list. Now all I need are "detailed, step by step (with hi res photos please) installation instructions on the EC harness for the trunk installation that I am going to purchase....LOL. I am very challenged when it comes to motorcycle electrics. Oh, and as an after thought I could use the same type of instructions for the installation of the Kisan tail light modulator... :oops:, and anything else electrical one might want to install on ones bike. Did I mention I am electrically challenged?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
rwalk said:
Jim, great link. Never knew that was available. got to get one & mount mine in trunk also. Thanks
It says "No Longer available" so it was but now is not. :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Fred H. said:

I also highly recommend the Griffin Air Click remote (around $20). I tried the iJet remote and was a bit disappointed with it's performance. The Griffin Air Click works perfectly every time.
Here is a link... http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/airclick/

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm at this point leaning towards putting the Ipod 20GB 4th gen in the right-=side pocket with enough slack in the cord to pull it out and put it on a RAM mount. I'll try the Ijet remote (the cheaper one, about $15 on Ebay, not the one with the screen and all functions) and see how that works.
I guess I'll have to thread the wire under the handlebars over into the right pocket from the left - Is that how it's done?
John

·
Registered
106 Posts
tommyboytx, got mine from Radio Shack on 1/3/07. The online says not available, but calling around at the stores they are. Discontinued, but a great price at $9.99 for 3rd generation or older pods. Got mine in CT (New Haven store) still had 5 left as of 1/3
http://www.theistore.com/ijet.html store) This on line sells them for $25.
Take care, Bob

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Fred H. said:

Fred:

Buried in the manual for the iJet i, fine print, it says that it goes into standby mode if you don't fiddle with it for a while.. Takes twenty seconds to go active after you hit a button.. It made me crazy until I came across that a couple weeks ago..

That said, if anyone is looking for an airclick for one of the newer dock-based ipods, I have two of them (don't ask why... ) for sale for $15 bucks each..

·
Registered
19,256 Posts
I use a ram mount on the left bar with the short arm. And use the ram enclosed waterproof holder. I like to FF to the next song when desired. Fred H is correct. my style of mounting does vibrate more and on occasion the IPOD locks up. I live with it and switch to satelite.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts