GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been covered but don't recall it so will ask anyway.

For the people the run radar detectors where do you mount them on
the GL 1800?

Not that I would ever go over the speed limit.

thanks,

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
radar detectors where do you mount them?
Where I can see it.

Honestly, I thought about hiding it under the left fairing pocket, but I'm not sure it would get a good signal in there. RAM mounts work well and I can adjust the volume as needed.

http://home.comcast.net/~ridetolive1/ws ... 55519.html

On the Dash is also a good option, Mike. I use a Kennedy GPS/Radar Set so I can here it in my helmet. http://www.cellset.com/

I love it when I'm flying around a corner, see the cop, hit the brakes, then he turns on his radar :p

After the weather we had here today, I'll be ready to pre-trip Mt Hood before toooooo long. How 'bout you? I can meet you down in Hood River or Portland/Vancouver.

·
Registered
61 Posts
http://www.st1100.org/

Try this site and look under st1100 information / farkle photos for V1 radar locator. This is an innovative way to hide a radar detector.

Mounting a V1 on a Goldwing may be a little easier due to the extra room available in the fork area

Good Luck!

Gordon

G

·
If you guys are riding so hard you need radar detectors, you are riding too d..n fast and are going to bust your butts...or your wallets, sooner or later.

I thought the idea of riding a Wing was to cruise and enjoy the scenery and the sunshine, and relax. If I wanted to go like hell and torch the ashphalt I would buy a crotch rocket. Then I could kill or maim myself properly.

Guess I am getting old...and hopefully wise..so I can get older.

This is sure to get some response! :chatter: :wink:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Cycle Gadget!

After playing with a variety of ideas I ended up going with a cycle gadget on the right side. My valentine one sits on a 1 1/2 inch clamp just above the right side resourvoir and it tied into the bike's electrical and intercom.

On the front side I use a 6" extension and mount my GPS there.

The nice thing about the gadget mount is that those rubber balls help handle the vibration - something to consider.

As for the previous poster, yeah, he has a point too and I respect it, but then, when I'm driving 846 miles in a day, I'm not doing 65!

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
sjvanepps said:
If I wanted to go like hell and torch the ashphalt I would buy a crotch rocket.:chatter: :wink:
I've got an 800 pound sport bike!
And she wants to act like it sometimes!

Bad Bike, Bad Bad Bike!

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Yea right and the whole time your bike is zipping through the corners you're saying "your going to be grounded if you don't stop misbehaving, oh okay I'll go along to keep you company"

Bad Quickdraw, Bad Quickdraw, bad bad! What a sandbagger.... hehe.

·
Registered
289 Posts
ok Sooooo ,where do i mount IT?

I HAVE A 8500 AND NO GADGETS (like a kenedy anything) velcro? in what states are they ilegal?

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
If the truth be known, at least for me a radar holdout until just a few months ago, the purchase of the radar detector while owning a GL1800 was probably a good idea. Knock on wood, it's been probably 12 to 15 years since my last ticket so my driving is relatively closely monitored, but I do like to push the limits while out on the open road and in remote locations and there is certainly no finer bike to get the adrenline flowing than the 1800.

I also got tired of others telling me on trips to smile as our speeds were being monitored and of course the police car was no where to be seen. I had always thought I was pretty observant in knowing who and what was around me, especially LEO's, but I quickly realized I was missing quite a bit. I also do quite a few solo trips and I suddenly missed my friends input on what monitoring was or was not going on around me. I made the plunge, but my conversion to believing my new Valentine One was a worthwhile tool took a few months. After a few surprise alarms going off while I least expected them, I can now say I am now a believer the information it provides is helpful. Personally, I like my dash location since I haven't yet incorporated the audio signal into my GL system as yet so visual blinking lights and audio signals coming from the unit itself are my indicators.

DaleC

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
My Driving record has been clean for quite a few years too. I'd like to keep it that way. I generally only run 5-10 over the limit which is usually not cause for a ticket. A little beeping in my ear makes sure I at least check my speedo. However!, there are times when the bike is Bad, Bad, Bad.

·
Vendor
22,218 Posts
Call Lewis at EC

I suggest you contact Lewis at Electrical connections and let him know you are interested in getting one of his new Radar Pods when/if they come out.

If it all works as planned, it will put your Radar Detector in a small (color matched?) plastic pod under the left mirror. This will give it great reception, weatherproofing, and theft protection. It also won't be as obvious to LEO.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
That sounds great, but what do I do with my left Tulsa Mirror Wing that I have there right now? I like that and want to have that too. I suppose then I need to buy and install the Concealed Display.

DaleC

·
Vendor
22,218 Posts
I believe the idea was for the rear of the pod to have a small clear plastic window for the display, so you wouldn't need the concealed display. The pod would also act as a sun shield and for the display, making it easier to see. The plan is to make the pod a similar shape as the existing mirror pod, only not nearly as large in height, so it fits in with the look of the bike.

You could probably easily mount your Tulsa wing to the bottom of the pod if you wanted to. The pod also acts as an air deflector itself.

Here is a photo of a blind spot mirror pod that the unit would be based on. Obviously, the Radar Detector pod would have to be a bit longer than this one.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I suppose the problem could be worse if I had an expensive set of PIAA lights mounted under my mirrors so I can wait and see what this new option will entail. I always wonder what the reaction would be "if" I were to be stopped and the LEO saw my Valentine sitting up on my dash and whether that makes it a sure thing for the ticket. Surprisingly most stops result in a warning and not the ticket in many places around the country.

Onward and forward,

DaleC

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well that's some interesting input. I'll watch the EC site, that's an
interesting idea but what do you do where possesion is illegal? It's
obvious it's there and wired in so non-trivial to remove...

I run not significantly faster than in my cage, in the open usually
10mph over the limit. On twisties a bit higher, well maybe a tad
more than a bit. Haven't had a ticket in 10 years, want to keep it
that way.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quickdraw said:
After the weather we had here today, I'll be ready to pre-trip Mt Hood before toooooo long. How 'bout you? I can meet you down in Hood River or Portland/Vancouver.
Ran to the coast Sunday was glorious to ride when the temp was
over 54 degees, first time since Nov 1. Should be out there today.

How about meeting at the Vista House on the old highway, know
where that is? It's about 30 minutes from my house and an easy
place to hookup.

Might go up to Mt Hood this weekend in the cage, might poke my nose
into Lolo...

G

·
Fred H. said:
I believe the idea was for the rear of the pod to have a small clear plastic window for the display, so you wouldn't need the concealed display. The pod would also act as a sun shield and for the display, making it easier to see. The plan is to make the pod a similar shape as the existing mirror pod, only not nearly as large in height, so it fits in with the look of the bike.

You could probably easily mount your Tulsa wing to the bottom of the pod if you wanted to. The pod also acts as an air deflector itself.

Here is a photo of a blind spot mirror pod that the unit would be based on. Obviously, the Radar Detector pod would have to be a bit longer than this one.

Hi Fred:

Where did you get the blind spot mirrors and how do they attach to the bottom the std. mirrors? They look like a really good thing to have. I don't like the idea of the little stick on wide angle mirrors that go on the existing glass.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Mike #5060 said:
How about meeting at the Vista House on the old highway, know where that is? It's about 30 minutes from my house and an easy place to hookup. Might go up to Mt Hood this weekend in the cage, might poke my nose into Lolo...
I just left a little post on the T-shirt thread for you. I've been riding about a hundred miles a day, just running errands, for the last week. I had to take the liner out of my jacket Monday!!! whoopee!

I think I may have been to the Vista House, but you'll certainly have to refresh my memory. Is that on the "Scenic Hwy"?

I've got to go see Ron Smith on Sunday for some fuel fittings, but I'm available to ride to Mt Hood with you on Saturday. The weatherman says partly sunny for my neck of the woods. What are the roads like to Goverment Camp this time of year?

Lets Ride!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts