GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I know. Shouldn't be using a cell phone while riding. I'm a prisoner to my phone because of my business though, so if I'm gonna ride I gotta carry the damn thing with me. Here's my problem though..... I have a J&M bluetooth interface switch mounted on my left side handlebar and a cup holder mounted on the right side. I need to mount my waterproof iPhone case using a Ram mount or similar somewhere that won't obstruct my airbag. The iPhone does not have an auto answer feature so I have to physically answer the phone. So, if I've ran out of mounting options and can't come up with a solution for that, does anyone have a suggestion on which AT&T cell phone would make a suitable replacement that does have an auto answer feature?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I can't help, but I'm in the same situation. I've got a 3G iphone and am looking for an answer to this same question.
Norman, I'm afraid we might have to buy a cheap replacement and put our sim card into that in order to use a cell phone. I'm going to research phone options and will let you know if I come up with anything.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
I don't have one of the new phones or one with any of the Goo Ga's, but I have to have it with me all of the time,,,:roll: :cry: My solution was to chunk it into the trunk or leave it in my pocket, and check the missed calls, and messages when I stopped. I tried the answering and talking while ridding, and got to distracted. Besides I couldn't help them any way while I was on the road, unless they needed Prayer. That I can do any where any time. That is what the voice mail is far :shock:

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
I don't have one of the new phones or one with any of the Goo Ga's, but I have to have it with me all of the time,,,:roll: :cry: My solution was to chunk it into the trunk or leave it in my pocket, and check the missed calls, and messages when I stopped. I tried the answering and talking while ridding, and got to distracted. Besides I couldn't help them any way while I was on the road, unless they needed Prayer. That I can do any where any time. That is what the voice mail is far :shock:

Unfortunately, some of us have to be on call and at certain times we are tethered to the phone. I know talking on the phone while riding is not the safest thing to do but neither is talking on the CB, drinking out of a Butler Mug, fiddling with the GPS or changing songs on the ipod. Right now I have my phone in the ipod pocket in my jacket and keep it on vibrate and pull over as soon as I can but I am also looking into the Zumo GPS to be able to answer a call. JMHO

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
A cell phone is my worst enemy. You will be out for a nice day on a ride and enjoying yourself and it lets the demands of the world in and takes the enjoyment of the day away.

My family knows to call me and tell me if it is an emergency, I will check the phone at stops, otherwise it stays in the trunk or my pocket. If it is a customer so be it, they can wait till I have time to deal with them. Life is short enough as it is to allow the world to creep into your enjoyment of life.

Here is a trip through Atlanta with people using cell phones.

Kit

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I use the dash mount from http://www.wingman.com/gadgets.htm scroll downabout half way.

I have a Satallite radio and cell phone mounted on it. Just didn't like mounting anything on the handlebars.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
The auto answer is not always a good idea. The sound quality on the bike is somewhat poor. If a call comes in that I know will involve quite a bit of discussion I would prefer to let it ring while I pull over and then call back. My auto answer will answer and then if I stop and disconnect the bluetooth the phone will disconnect and I have to call them back anyway. Most of my calls can be dealt with quickly and I handle them on the bike. I would prefer to answer the calls myself though. There are always the ones that I don't have an answer for yet and would rather talk to them when I can give them what they want. FlameWinger does that bracket screw into the top shelter? I have my phone stuck to the satellite radio with velcro but don't trust it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Banned
716 Posts
Cell phone

I bought a Scala rider teamset. It sucked with using it to talk to the SO. But I use my Scala headset when riding by myself and it is great with my Bluetooth phone and easy to use. Good clarity and people say I sound better on it than just using my cell. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I've used the Blue Ant "Interphone" for several yrs. Blue Tooth & completely hands-free. My phones outa sight & down in my pocket.

All u hafta do is speak within 10 secs to rec' a incoming call. Shaddup for 10 secs @ the end of the call & the phone hangs up.

To make a call, program the #'s you often call; 1 press on a button on the side of your helmet & simply announce who you wanna call - the Blue Ant "recognizes" the name u said & starts dialing. There was 1 put up for sale here a week -or- 2 ago.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Celll Phone

I have a bluetooth cell phone, I am using a TomTom 910 with Bluetooth wired into the aux jack, I have the mic on the Tom Tom 910 also wired in.
Hands free no problem, music, directions all in one device.
When I am riding, I usally turn off my cell, I do not want my music to be interupted. Love going down the rode listening to Stepenwolf, "Born to be Wild" even on a wing!:thumbup:
===================================================

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
A cell phone is my worst enemy. You will be out for a nice day on a ride and enjoying yourself and it lets the demands of the world in and takes the enjoyment of the day away.

My family knows to call me and tell me if it is an emergency, I will check the phone at stops, otherwise it stays in the trunk or my pocket. If it is a customer so be it, they can wait till I have time to deal with them. Life is short enough as it is to allow the world to creep into your enjoyment of life.

Since when is your cell phone more important than riding your GW? If it is, you shouldn't be riding...

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Most often when we're out riding our cell phone is laying on the kitchen counter at home. When it is with us it is turned off and buried in the trunk. :thumbup:

G

·
I have an iPhone and I use the Blue Ant Interphone for a hands free setup... if the phone rings, I just say "hello" (or any loud noise) and the phone picks up. If I remain silent, the call is not answered. I leave the iphone in the left pocket.

Edit: Just noticed DW Taylor has the Interphone also. I do not have the ability to dial out as the iPhone does not yet have voice dial capability over bluetooth.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts