GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm wondering where others have mounted there GPS.

I have a Garmin 2730 that I have mounted to the side of the center cowl that covers the key and dash display. It works very well here, stays out of my general field of view while riding, and only covers the first 1500 RPM of the tach.

I am curious where others have found to mount thier GPS units.

I know all about the handlebar mount using the RAM Mount that attaches to the clutch or brake master cylinder, been there, done that, don't like it, the GPS always in my normal line of sight while driving.

Tried a friend's 1800 that used a cross bar between the handlebars to mount the GPS, covered too much of the dash and made using the key a pain in the a...

Don

·
Registered
466 Posts
I used the hydraulic bolt RAM mount on the clutch assy. I attached a 5" RAM arm and mounted the Zumo 550/XM antenna there. It works well although in some sunlight situations, it can be hard to read.

I'll probably mount the 276C in the same way on the right reservoir bolts.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Mounted mine on the right with the RAM mounts. I'm right-handed and push the buttons better there. I never notice the GPS unless I want to glance at it and see it. It's not in my peripheral vision. Does not block any instrument gauges there for me.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Suction cup to the inside of the windshield for me. A little string as a safety harness in case it decides to take a leave of absence.

But I only occasionally use the GPS on the Wing.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
My Zumo 550 is mounted on the left side .. on the brackets that came with the unit.... its hooked up so I can hear it thru my headsets... via
Kennedy Cell set... along with my radar detector & phone..
all works great..

cosmic

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Mounted mine on the right with the RAM mounts. I'm right-handed and push the buttons better there. I never notice the GPS unless I want to glance at it and see it. It's not in my peripheral vision. Does not block any instrument gauges there for me.
What he said! :agree:
The one mounted near the ignition switch is just too far away from "line-of-sight" for me! :cool:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Suction cup to the inside of the windshield for me.
In California and NY (not sure but one of those states) have it that you can't stick anything to the windshield. California has changed it a bit but you can only stick to either far side of windshield and it has to be out of the driver's view. Weird because you can mount it to be right in front but on the dash. :shrug:

I have mine mounted to the dash using http://www.goldwinggadgets.com/
or
I use this to mount my Satallite radio and cell phone using a GPS mount found here http://wingman.com/gadgets.htm (scroll down a ways) I used a .5" RAM ball on a plate sandwiched under the radio and a .5 RAM clamping assy to mount the phone.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have the small Garmin Quest and I mounted it on the the right handlebar. I have no problems with this mount only for sunlight, which I will be making a small visor for my combination. There is a magnifier that is mounted in front of the quest.

·
Registered
164 Posts
So I'm wondering where others have mounted there GPS.

I have a Garmin 2730 that I have mounted to the side of the center cowl that covers the key and dash display. It works very well here, stays out of my general field of view while riding, and only covers the first 1500 RPM of the tach.

I am curious where others have found to mount thier GPS units.

I know all about the handlebar mount using the RAM Mount that attaches to the clutch or brake master cylinder, been there, done that, don't like it, the GPS always in my normal line of sight while driving.

Tried a friend's 1800 that used a cross bar between the handlebars to mount the GPS, covered too much of the dash and made using the key a pain in the a...

Don
When riding two up, I give it to the wife to deal with, she can keep and eye on it and convey instructions over the intercom. One up it's mounted on the dash right in my field of vision that way my eyes are not off the road for an extended period of time. :yes1:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts