GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to get a valanetine v1 and I wondering where I could mount it so that Its not hugely obvious. I don't mind getting the remote visual bos so that I don;t have the detector in plain sight Has anyone mounted these in a "hidden" location that still allows it to work? any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
I'm going to get a valanetine v1 and I wondering where I could mount it so that Its not hugely obvious. I don't mind getting the remote visual bos so that I don;t have the detector in plain sight Has anyone mounted these in a "hidden" location that still allows it to work? any suggestions would be appreciated.
I have tried a few places. At first I put it in the saddlebag. It worked, but I felt like it reduced it's range. I then remove the left front speaker on my 2002 and put it in the speaker pod. That seemed to work good, but I lost use of the speaker, not that I ever used them anyway.

On the 09 I decided I wanted to leave the speakers intact, since they work better on this bike, so I started looking for a new location. I am still searching for a good spot. The left rear speaker pod on the 09 looks like it is large enough for it to fit, but that takes me back to the speaker issue. It will fit in front of and under the left glove box, but then that puts it right over the radiator and exposes it to a lot of heat. So I guess I'm still looking for the right spot. There really aren't many out of sight places large enough to hide it where it is weather protected and still has a decent line of sight that isn't obstructed by metal.

If you find a good spot, please let me know.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried a few places. At first I put it in the saddlebag. It worked, but I felt like it reduced it's range. I then remove the left front speaker on my 2002 and put it in the speaker pod. That seemed to work good, but I lost use of the speaker, not that I ever used them anyway.

On the 09 I decided I wanted to leave the speakers intact, since they work better on this bike, so I started looking for a new location. I am still searching for a good spot. The left rear speaker pod on the 09 looks like it is large enough for it to fit, but that takes me back to the speaker issue. It will fit in front of and under the left glove box, but then that puts it right over the radiator and exposes it to a lot of heat. So I guess I'm still looking for the right spot. There really aren't many out of sight places large enough to hide it where it is weather protected and still has a decent line of sight that isn't obstructed by metal.

If you find a good spot, please let me know.
I will - I have the bike apart now for my winter mods so I'll keep looking

Peter

·
Registered
931 Posts
I stick my V1 on top of the front brake fluid reservoir using heavy duty nylon velcro-like fastener strips. Nothing stealth about it but being up sort of high and off to the side, it gets a relatively decent shot fore and aft.

But heavy rain and water leakage is still a problem -- I have an older V1 (pre-laser detection). Perhaps the new ones are more water resistant. Don't know. I usually stick it in the saddlebag but then I'm not getting too aggressive in the rain anyway.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I'm going to get a valanetine v1 and I wondering where I could mount it so that Its not hugely obvious.
I see you are in Ontario...I ran the Trans Canadian from Montreal to Prince Rupert B.C with my V1 on the right handlebar with no issues.

If you get the concealed display tucked under the dash, above the speedometer and just put black tape over the Valentine's directional arrows, you should be good to go.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have my V-1 mounted in my right saddlebag. I fabricated an aluminum bracket that picks up existing screws inside so there is no damage to the saddlebag. I mounted the visor bracket to the aluminum bracket so the V-1 easily slides in and out of the mount. This way I can swap it between the Goldwing and my truck. I have the remote display velcroed on the dash and the audio unit inside the left pocket. I like this set-up because the V-1 is secure in the saddlebag when away from the bike and dry when it rains. It does have a blind spot diagonally across the bike due to the engine. I mostly ride to and from work on divided freeways and am concerned with the highway patrol on my side of the freeway in front and back of me and at freeway on-ramps/off-ramps. (not that I speed):lol:

Attachments

·
Canuck
2,827 Posts
Peter - Do you use it in Ont? Had an old one in my car several years ago. LEO on the other side of the Trans Canada near Thunder Bay picked up on it, circled around, gave me an $80 ticket and confiscated it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm going to get a valanetine v1 and I wondering where I could mount it so that Its not hugely obvious.
I keep my radar detector inside my left fairing pocket. I can't see the display, but I have the audio connected to the AUX input and get warnings through the bike's audio system. Audio's enough for me; I like to keep my eyes on the road.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I keep mine in plain view on my dash mount where I can see it. I've used it that way for several years now and never had a problem ever with it there. I attach it to the dash mount with velcro and it can be pulled off when I dismount my bike and want to secure it while away from the bike. In 2009, you are not likely to see any difference in a LEO's response if you are stopped with a Valentine exposed or hidden, and the benefits of the Valentine are to see what it is telling you.

DaleC

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
In 2009, you are not likely to see any difference in a LEO's response if you are stopped with a Valentine exposed or hidden, and the benefits of the Valentine are to see what it is telling you.
Well, not exactly....I would suggest a LEO in Virginia, Washington DC and most areas in Canada would have a much different response to an exposed Valentine One radar detector. That is probably why the OP needs to go into Ninja Stealth mode...:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
You might give the following a look see. http://www.radarbusters.com/motorcycle-radar-detectors/motorcycle-accessories/radardetectorbox.cfm

Since Radar detectors are illegal in Canada, I would not want to risk the ticket and confescation of a pricey V-1 so if you are determined to have one, maybe you should look at those models that feature remote sensing and small readouts and wired audio that can be embedded in your Wing. If you used those smoke colored Lexan covers and hide a small power switch to turn it off if a LEO comes up to the bike, it may get overlooked. Just make sure the unit is RDD qualified.
http://www.radarbusters.com/spectreiiIntroductionarticle.cfm

As a good primer, I would read through all of Radar Roy's articles at:
http://www.radarbusters.com/radar-detector-info.cfm

Good luck on your quest.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Peter - Do you use it in Ont? Had an old one in my car several years ago. LEO on the other side of the Trans Canada near Thunder Bay picked up on it, circled around, gave me an $80 ticket and confiscated it.

Yea same thing happened to me many years ago. don't use it much here . I don't spped much anymore anyway - more making sure I don't get nailed in the quick change speed traps

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Well, not exactly....I would suggest a LEO in Virginia, Washington DC and most areas in Canada would have a much different response to an exposed Valentine One radar detector. That is probably why the OP needs to go into Ninja Stealth mode...:thumbup:
Actually in those areas I wouldn't ever have one even when it was stealth.

DaleC

·
Registered
242 Posts
I keep mine in plain view on my dash mount where I can see it..... the benefits of the Valentine are to see what it is telling you.
You do it whatever way you want. Audio's all I need and I never have to screw around with having to put it on the bike and then having to take it off everytime I stop - what a PITA.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Actually in those areas I wouldn't ever have one even when it was stealth.

DaleC
Sooooo, I guess you don't keep it in plain view all the time and indeed do remove it...which was kinda my point :thumbup:

I agree with you that getting stopped by a LEO with a Valentine One in plain view (assuming it is legal) isn't the faux pas that many make it out to be.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Radar Detectors are not banned entirely in Canada...it depends on the province. And isn't it odd that Beltronics makes their detectors in Ontario, where it is illegal to use them?

I believe that currently, the Canadian provinces that do not ban use of radar detectors are: Alberta, British Columbia, and Saskatchewan.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Sooooo, I guess you don't keep it in plain view all the time and indeed do remove it...which was kinda my point.

Only if I am going away from my bike for a period of time and it won't be in site. Since my Valentine is attached to my shelf mount by velcro it could be lifted pretty quickly and easily in my absence. Aside from that, it's always in plain view.

DaleC

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I was out looking at the Bike today, and the thought came to me that a possible mount could be either under and just behind either side mirror (with a safety cable/string) but behind the Baker mirror wing. If mounted on the right side, I could keep the power cable inside the locked pocket.

Any comments ???

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
I was out looking at the Bike today, and the thought came to me that a possible mount could be either under and just behind either side mirror (with a safety cable/string) but behind the Baker mirror wing. If mounted on the right side, I could keep the power cable inside the locked pocket.

Any comments ???

I tried once to get plastic molds made for a V1 housing that would locate it in a nice looking pod under the left mirror, but it was going to cost me a couple thousand dollars just to have a prototype made to see if it would work, so I bailed out on that idea. I really think that would be the best location, but it would need to be in a weatherproof housing, and it would need to match the mirror shape and color or it wouldn't look good.

The only other option is to try to find a location behind the fairing somewhere, and there really aren't any good spots that are unobstructed. The speaker pod was the best one I found.

I don't like the RD in plain site for a number of reasons. One is theft, another is weather protection, and the third is that in the event I get pulled over by an LEO, when he spots my RD, all chances of talking myself out of the ticket just went down the drain.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts