GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005. It is cold here (U.P. Michigan) a big part of the year. Rode in 45 degrees yesterday. Can you give advice on what you would buy first, second, etc.. to generally equip you and the bike for cold weather riding? (Example heated vest, heated pants, heated grips, mirror wings, wings to direct heat from engine to rider, etc...).

Bill

·
Premium Member
5,974 Posts
Bill,
Good to hear you are still riding. Must have some studded snow tires for the the Goldwing.
Anyway, from my experience, I would first get heated grips if you don't already have them. If you don't the ones from Electrical Connection may be the best $50 buy there is for the Goldwing. I have them and they are great. I even get to use them a lot on cool summer evenings.
Next I would buy the Gerbing jacket liner. I did and love it. It keeps your whole upper body warm and the high neck collar is just great.
My next purchase was heated Gerbing socks. Because my toes get cold. The socks keep my feet nice and toasty.
I find with these items and a good pair of GoreTex over pants, I've been comfortably warm riding even when it was down in the thirty's.
I also have the Tulsa Hot Foot wind deflector which I think is helpful.

I hope this experience based information is helpful. Ya, eh.

Oops, almost forgot I also bought Gerbing heated gloves. Probably almost forgot because I bought them before the grip heaters, and not seldom use them because the grip heaters work so well. And the Gerbing gauntlet style gloves are kind of bulky. They now make a less bulky model, but for $190 or so, they're a little pricey.

G

·
BillsGW said:
I have a 2005. It is cold here (U.P. Michigan) a big part of the year. Rode in 45 degrees yesterday. Can you give advice on what you would buy first, second, etc.. to generally equip you and the bike for cold weather riding? (Example heated vest, heated pants, heated grips, mirror wings, wings to direct heat from engine to rider, etc...).

Bill
I have the heated grips and a Fieldsheer jacket and pants which at the time I thought I really needed,
but found I only wear them two months per year, ( spring and fall),but then again I'm not a big fan of cold weather riding, especially once the salt trucks are out.
Maybe I feel once it gets around December, thats snowmobile time.

What you mention above should be a great start, along with a good riding suit.

·
Registered
547 Posts
To me, once the hands are cold, the fun is gone. I'm more susceptible to cold hands than most because my fingers were frostbit when I was younger. So for me, heated grips or good gloves are where I'd start.
I live in San Diego where the reputation is that it's warm all the time, but if you get east of town in the early morning, it gets downright cold in the hills. This morning, it was 35° out there, but it reached 86° in town this afternoon.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
BillsGW said:

Bill
I have Gerbings gloves and socks for the extremities and a goose down filled jacket and bibs for the rest. Keeps me warm to about freezing. Any colder and I'll take the truck. lol

Up there in MI, you probably need the full boat of electric clothes. BTW, grip heaters are nice but won't keep the tops of your hands warm. If I had to do it over, I'd skip the heated grips and get the heated gloves first.

·
Registered
21,330 Posts
1. heated grips, work great for me

2. tulsa hotfoot. no its still not like sitting in a car

3. Gerbings heated jacket linner. about 8 years old and it works great

4. Gerbings heated socks and pants, i don't use them very often because messing with the extra wires is a hassel but on a long cold ride they can make a huge difference, very comfortable

not that there aren't warmer jackets out there but the warmest jacket i have ever owned is the Honda Racing jacket, i think the warmest jacket would b the firstgear Kilamanjaro jacket with the fleece linner

firstgear HT overpants is what i mostly wear in cold weather

bunch of different gloves but i don't own the ultimate cold weather glove yet, my hands are not usually a big problem

·
Squating Member
7,055 Posts
Having had two bikes with heated grips, my current 07 Wing has the comfort group with heated seat and grips....forget the heated grips. They're nice for a cool evening, or if you get caught out and it gets chilly...but to stay warm one word says it all GERBINGS!!!!

I have to complete set, jacket liner, pants, socks and gloves with a controller.....If I were starting out, I would get the jacket liner and the gloves with a temp controller....

This set-up would be a great start up...you can always add the pants and socks later.

I love mine, best accessory I have bought, hands down!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I’ve used a snowmobile suit all my life. Always wanted Gerbings, but after checking them out last year they are almost as bulky as the snowmobile suit and cost a lot more. We replaced our suits a couple years ago at Cabbelas on a close out sale for $120 each. I work outside all winter, so I just dress for work then pull the suit on over top. When temps get below 32 I put my rain mittens on over my insulated gloves. Never been cold in any weather. If it works for those nuts on snowmobiles it will work for us. I may look like the Pillsbury doughboy but I’m happy.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
1) electric vest or jacket
2) electric gloves
3) good m/c specific overpants that block wind
4) electric socks

All gear that touches your skin should have wicking properties and outer gear should breath as well as block wind.
Camping gear is warm but doesn't do well in crashes; don't cheap-out with gear.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Cold Weather Gear

Growing up in Wisconsin, I know all about winter...

Everyone has given you ways for your comfort...

Now for your WING...

A nice HEATED garage to keep it warm when the snow comes up over the eaves...

:p :p :p

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
All of the above are good suggestions.

If I had to do over again,my FIRST item would be a Gerbing jacket liner.
The rest can come later.
I screwed arund trying to go cheap with heated gear for both me and the wife,and ended up with Gerbing anyway.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Where to start? A ski shop! Think about it - snow skiing has to be cold, so take advantage of a few simple items:

Wicking glove liners
Turtle fur for your neck
Balaclava for under your helmet
Polar Fleece pants and top for layering
Polar Fleece socks

Combine this with a good jacket with a liner, chaps and gloves - you can save money and not need electrics.

YWMV

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.