GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Life is getting in the way for the nexr 4 years. My daughter starts college in September so only long rides on sundays in the New England area for me
I am not sure I understand? Why must you stay around as your daughter goes off to college? When my last child went off to college, it actually allowed me to do MORE and LONGER rides, not fewer nor shorter. At some point my kids didn't want me messing in their campus life anyway, so they were very supportive of me taking my own time.

·
Registered
20,610 Posts
Rogers Arkansas, Goldwing rally April 15-18
Marble Falls Arkansas, Tenere rally April 23-26
Idaho Falls Idaho, Goldwing rally June 26-29
Montrose Colorado, Goldwing rally September 17-19
Also a couple other possibilities

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Here's a note for you, when you're riding the Columbia Gorge, stop and spend the night at Grand Coulee. During the Summer, after dark, they run water over the spillway on the dam, creating a white screen for a laser light show every night. From the visitors center, you can see the show and hear all the narration. It is well worth the time to experience it.
Thank You, I will certainly consider that!

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Life is getting in the way for the nexr 4 years. My daughter starts college in September so only long rides on sundays in the New England area for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please enjoy that life that gets in the way. When it is over you will have wanted to live all of that life possible.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
We're seriously thinking about a return trip to Yellowstone. We were there last year for a week but I would like to go back and do it again - but, maybe some other roads and sights.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I am not sure I understand? Why must you stay around as your daughter goes off to college? When my last child went off to college, it actually allowed me to do MORE and LONGER rides, not fewer nor shorter. At some point my kids didn't want me messing in their campus life anyway, so they were very supportive of me taking my own time.
We plan on paying for her undergrad degree. Have been saving in a u529 fund since she was born. Almost enough to pay for half of it. Putting what I can away to pay for the rest but daddy needs his bike time to clear the mind. 3 - 500 mile rides on Sunday will have to do for the next 4 years, and I am okay with that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's winter, and we're contemplating road trips for 2020.

Where's everyone going ?
I am going from LA to Nova Scotia. Then to Key West, FL to Blaine, WA and to San Ysidro, CA completing the Four Corners of America for the second time. About 13,000 miles! Already have 42,000 miles on my 2018 DCT.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's winter, and we're contemplating road trips for 2020.

Where's everyone going ?
Epic Ride!! We are doing the USA 4-Corners. Live in CO. 1st Corner will be Key West FL, then to San Ysidro CA, then up the west coast to Blaine WA and then across the northern tier to Madawaska ME then back home. The Southern California Motorcycle Association (SCMA) sponsors the ride. Not counting from your home to the first corner or the last corner back home you have 21 days. With in the route we will be completing a 50cc Ride also sponsored by SCMA. 50 hours Coast to Coast. With in that ride we will try the Bun Burner Gold 1500 sponsored by the Iron Butt Association. That is 1500 miles in 24 hours. We will start at Jacksonville Beach and ride to Van Horn TX. The next day to Imperial Beach CA near San Ysidro. So that make 2 corners in 3 days. Then easy days after that.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Currently doing the BMR, heading to Death Valley in February, and Tour of Honor beginning in April. If I can wrangle the time, Colorado for the Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Reunion mid-May.

jdg

·
Registered
559 Posts
Still waiting on the Alaska Ferry System to publish their summer schedule so we can finalize some trips. My wife and I are planning on riding the Dempster highway in the Yukon and NWT going to Tuk on our 650's. That will be the last half of June. Then after a few days I will head south on my wing to go camping with my brothers in Michigan's UP. While back in Michigan I hope to be able to ride another of the Great Lakes Ironbutt series rides.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hill country in two weeks. Spring training in Florida mid March. Lots of other rides in planning stage but not set in stone yet.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Oh let me see . . . lots of "plans" we'll see which ones actually happen:

On the Goldwing -
- Death Valley here in a couple of weeks (weather dependent)
- Banff & Jasper in late July through mid August (maybe a day in Sturgis as well)
- Rockies Gold in September

On the Harley -
- Arizona Bike Week in early April
- Texas, Austin & Twisted Sisters in early May

Probably one or two extended weekends as well, here and there.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
If your anywhere near Massachusetts, look me up, I'd love to meet and greet, and any excuse to ride is good for me.

Ronnie

·
Registered
277 Posts
Our plan is riding from Germany to Turkey to attend the Gold Wing Treffen (rally) in September and then island hop the length of the Mediterranean to Spain before visiting friends in Portugal and returning the bike to Germany.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Our plan is riding from Germany to Turkey to attend the Gold Wing Treffen (rally) in September and then island hop the length of the Mediterranean to Spain before visiting friends in Portugal and returning the bike to Germany.
Are you riding your Wing? We are leaving Heidelberg in May and going to Istanbul. Returning in June. Have you planned your route yet?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here's a note for you, when you're riding the Columbia Gorge, stop and spend the night at Grand Coulee. During the Summer, after dark, they run water over the spillway on the dam, creating a white screen for a laser light show every night. From the visitors center, you can see the show and hear all the narration. It is well worth the time to experience it.
If you do stop in Coulee Dam for the night get reservations at Columbia River Inn. It is right across the street from the Dam and the visitors center. You can walk over and see the light show at night. We were there last year and while the light show was nice I was not overly impressed. With the idea yes but it was just a history show that got a little boring. I have heard that it was changed in last year or so and many have complained that it’s not as great. The folds at Columbia River Inn are super nice and will help you out with whatever you need. The rooms are very nice and well maintained also. Our bike broke down there last year and they managed to keep us a room for 5 nights while we got repairs even though they were booked.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm planning on Rockies Gold 2020 - 5 days
Ohio Darksiders Spring Ride In plus some time further east - 10 days
Rogers Ride In for at least 1 day
Smackdab281. It runs from the geographic center of he United States to the geographic center of North America and it happens every year in June. Anyone else want to come? Goldwings are terribly under represented.
Smackdab281. I'm interested, what are the lodging or camping like in the area. I saw that last year there were 70 some that finished.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts