GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here, let me pour a little gas on this match. The number of threads justifying the use of car tires could fill the pages of the Encyclopedia Britannica, including all the updates and supplements. The number of threads against their use could easily match the number of papers produced daily by the NY Times. We all choose to use and a simple "because I want to" is all that's needed. Many folks have said they tried one and just didn't like it, and I can appreciate that. Others have said they just aren't comfortable using something other than what the manufacture recommends, and that's fine too. Then there's all the mechanical and design arguments as well as the physics of it all. After all this, I have yet to see a single report where the use of a CT was determined to actually be the cause of an accident. I would think actual incidents would be the most compelling proof against using them, yet these are strangely absent. Anybody ever seen or heard of one? OK, let this bon fire begin. >:)

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I do not darkside. But, I am sick and tired of the poo-pooers making claims that DS is unsafe, irresponsible, will result in insurance claim denials, is a reason to get a traffic ticket, etc, with ZERO incidents to support those claims.

Some years ago I posed a similar question as you. All I got was crickets.

There are reasons to NOT darkside. Wives tales and witches brews are not 2 of them.

I wonder why there are no anti-trailering threads. Towing a trailer with a GL is spelled out in the owners manual as unsafe, yet plenty of riders do it without a second thought. Same with adding a sidecar. I have done both, often simultaneously, and didn't ***

Now back to your regular programming.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Actually ... ask any of your non-motorcycling friends and you'll find that MOTORCYCLING, with any type of tires and with or without any kind of trailer and/or sidecar IS DANGEROUS. While I've lost several good motorcycling friends to the grave due to cancer and/or other illnesses, I have yet to loose a friend due to a motorcycle accident. My friends don't drink and ride, and generally wear safety gear and ride very conservatively. We live in a sparsely populated farm area where busy highways and crowded freeways are not an issue ... heck, there's not even a four lane or Interstate in this county.

Although I would not be interested in a car tire on my bike, I'd be more afraid of this ... According to the American Cancer Society, men have a 39.66 percent probability, or approximately a one in three risk, of developing cancer in their lifetime. For women, the odds are slightly lower, at 37.65 percent.

·
Banned
435 Posts
Ugh, this is worse than an oil debate, imo.

People who don't want to run car tires on their motorcycles won't.

People who do want to run car tires on their motorcycle will.

There is nothing either group can say to the other that will change anyone's mind.

Stop trolling, and let's all go ride for a while. Then have a beer. (don't reverse the order, though).

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Ugh, this is worse than an oil debate, imo.

People who don't want to run car tires on their motorcycles won't.

People who do want to run car tires on their motorcycle will.

There is nothing either group can say to the other that will change anyone's mind.

Stop trolling, and let's all go ride for a while. Then have a beer. (don't reverse the order, though).

:agree: But what would people do on un-ridable days??:nojoke:

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I wish I could tag individual threads to disappear or hide from my computer forever......

I know ...I know.... just don’t open those you say.

Well.... I just don’t have that kind of will power.

Oh yea... this thread is about car tires on motorcycles.

My opinion is ..... I don’t disagree.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Not trolling, not trying to convince anyone one way or the other, as I don't care what you run Just curious, has anyone actually seen or heard of an incident where a CT was the cause.

PS.....no bunched panties.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I guess my question is “ do you think your motorcycle handles better or worse with a CT?”. Meaning, do you think you could beat me down a canyon with a CT and me with a MT? Just a question. Don’t anyone get their panties in a bunch over this.....
Well... why not. ;)

Without knowing your own skill-set or how your wing is setup (suspension?), then I'd say that myself, and several other's here could certainly give you a run for your money, if not beat you hands down. :capwin:

I'm not the most skilled rider in the world and I'm far from the Rossi/Marquez crowd, but I have raced, done motocross, and have years of experience on wings from the ol' GL500, GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, and two generations of the GL1800.

I've only recently went to the darkside, but I have not found there to be any significant performance slow-down. Yes... she likes to be pushed a bit more into the turn and she stands up quicker coming out of the turn... but I'm set up wonderfully (Full Traxxion) and like I said, I've seen no significant performance loss as a result of having a really good CT on the bike vs the G704.

Long story short... I have no problem laying the fat girl over to enjoy the twisties and spirited rides with my quick paced buddies.

That said... lots of guys on here aren't concerned about that at all. In fact, I'd say that most are just happier with the long term tire wear performance, the cost savings associated with that additional mileage performance, the safety of having a run-flat option (my dad blew a tire on his GL1100 with my mom on board back in the day and they survived... but wouldn't have been as big of a pucker situation if they had a run-flat option), and the additional comfort that riding on the CT provides for them and their passenger.

Anyway... that's my answer to your question, but I don't think it's relevant to most DS'rs. I may be wrong though. That's been pointed out a time or two as well. :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
My first CT was on my then new 1972 Honda CB750. Within the 1st week of purchase (Feb 1972, Phoenix AZ), I removed the baffles, installed 8" extended fork tubes, a King & Queen seat, Hap Jones pull back bars w/a small windshield, and laced up a 16" wheel mounted with a 500x16 VW tire (not a radial, but bias ply was all we had back then). Rode that combo for 18 months and 36k miles all over AZ, northern Mexico, and 6 months in Ohio in November. Them was the days!! I've been using CTs on my Wings since 2005 and almost 200k miles. There's my proof!

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
I guess my question is “ do you think your motorcycle handles better or worse with a CT?”. Meaning, do you think you could beat me down a canyon with a CT and me with a MT? Just a question. Don’t anyone get their panties in a bunch over this.....
Meaningless.

The real question would be, can you beat you down a canyon with a MT or a CT?

I suspect the answer is that you would be faster on the CT.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
That’s one of those trick questions. The answer is both tires gets down a canyon at the same time. Both tires will easily perform at the legal speed limit without any issue whatsoever.

:grin2:

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Yes... There is video where the same rider on the same Wing ran on a track. After a couple of laps the MC tire started melting the car tire did not. He turned better times on the CT.

·
IronMan
17,639 Posts
Actually ... ask any of your non-motorcycling friends and you'll find that MOTORCYCLING, with any type of tires and with or without any kind of trailer and/or sidecar IS DANGEROUS. While I've lost several good motorcycling friends to the grave due to cancer and/or other illnesses, I have yet to loose a friend due to a motorcycle accident. My friends don't drink and ride, and generally wear safety gear and ride very conservatively. We live in a sparsely populated farm area where busy highways and crowded freeways are not an issue ... heck, there's not even a four lane or Interstate in this county.

Although I would not be interested in a car tire on my bike, I'd be more afraid of this ... According to the American Cancer Society, men have a 39.66 percent probability, or approximately a one in three risk, of developing cancer in their lifetime. For women, the odds are slightly lower, at 37.65 percent.
CANCER SUCKS !!! THEY SAY IF YA IVE LONG ENOUGH WILL GET SOME FORM OF IT !

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not here to be critical, but the original post plus 14 replies and they reinforce my point. Post from those who use a CT, post from those who don't use a CT, post from those who don't care one way or the other, post from those who tried one and didn't care for it, and post from others who think the purpose of this was to justify the use of a CT. In the end, not one post saying, "on this date there was an accident involving a motorcycle using a car tire, and it was determined the car tire was the primary or contributing cause of the accident". Kinda hard to argue that they're unsafe based on that. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I haven't been on the forum for a long time, but I started back recently. I had a 2008 GL1800 and never considered a CT. However, when I bought my 2016 GL1800 a couple of weeks ago, it had a CT on it. I understand the subject has been beat to death, but I am happy to read both positive and negative reports on it, so I know what to expect.
Thanks to everyone who posts about it.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I had both a MT and a CT on my wing before I triked her out last season........

Can you beat me down a curvy canyon road, (most likely YES) if your traveling over the speed limit.....Once I got used to the car tire feel, I do got to admit that I liked the feeling that the CT had.... BUT once I triked her out last year, I also have to admit that it took a bit to get used to that triked out feeling as well...NOW I'll never go without a triked out motorcycle...I feel totally safer! NOW I ANSWER YOUR QUESTION AGAIN,
"can you beat me down a curvvy canyon road?" (The answer is still YES if you ride faster then the speed limit)

Ronnie

·
Registered
478 Posts
In 15 years as a traffic homicide investigator, car tires on a bike were never even an issue. I never investigated a case where a car tire was installed.

I would guess that the demographics of goldwing riders are low risk to start, and those who ride enough to benefit from a CT are even lower risk.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts