GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the news tonight they were showing Miami-Dade Fire Rescue department responding to calls on HD's . The reporter said it cuts the responds time down to half. Well if a medic on a Harley can do it by half, what can our own two medics (Tequilaroy"Roy", GL1800GSX1000"Wayne" better it by? Knowing those two, it would take a few hours! Not that they are not fast, but they would have to take the twisty roads to get there since there is none in FL. they would have to go by way of GA. Either case guys I will put a good word into the county for you.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Using a motorcycle as a "fly car" for EMS would probably work best in areas where the weather is mostly clear and dry (that leaves Central NY out!). There is sufficient room in the compartments of a GL to carry most ALS stuff necessary to get things going (IV supplies, ACLS meds, biphasic AED, and a bunch of BLS stuff as well). The problem is that the AEMT/Paramedic needs a ride back to the bike after the patient is delivered to the ER. When the vehicle is a car/SUV/truck, there is usually somebody at the scene (FD, PD, or EMS) who can bring the vehicle to the ER, allowing the "fly car" to be placed back into service directly from there. In a busy system, this is important.

On the other hand, I could see myself doing EMS response on a GL......... :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've been trying to get my boss to buy off on the fact that if we had a Goldwing for a Command Car, we would have alot less sick call-ins at work. I did call in sick one time a couple years back with Goldwing fever. Gotta give credit with cutting the response times that's what it is all about. :D :D

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Dennis,

I actually wrote a grant for motor medics in our County but it was a competative grant and was denied. Our director at the time supported the idea and he is now our County Administrator. At the time I wrote the grant time was a real issue and I did not have time to research the Goldwing as a medic unit so I went with the Harley as all the information was already available. The Daytona Beach Fire Department uses them for special events and helped me with my information. My grant was for two medics, 24 hour coverage. Unfortunately our Fire Chief now is not too supportive of the idea and it seems to be a dead issue for now. I fully expect to resurrect it one day.

I think its a great idea.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
You are correct. I do a lot of trading. :a13:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
We have a customer in England that converted an 1800 to a quick respsonse vehicle for EMTs. Last I heard it was working well.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I am an RN in the ER and told someone today I would go back to school to get one of those positions, but not in Miami Dade county area.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts