Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i expected to wake up with the sky falling down around me

wheres the virus i heard that was such a big deal

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
There is much speculation about when the virus will attack, but no one really knows. Meanwhile, it is still out there awaiting instructions from its creator. The whole scare could be anything from a hoax to a widespread attack on financial accounts.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Shhhhhhhhhh ! Dangit, Loren - it's still sleeping ! This is an April Fools Day joke, right ?????? You're complaining because u didn't get the conflicker virus ???????

If you didn't get it - you can probably thank your ISP -or- virus programs on your pc. I'm thanking my Symantec; CA Security & Juniper programs for keeping my pc safe (for now).

My son is a computer geek for a Symantec-related vendor & was flown from San Jose, CA (Symantec Hdqtrs) to NY last weekend to be on hand if something "happened" w/any of their clients pc's. They've been working on Conflicker Virus patches; remedies; etc., for months now.

Dave / Silver '09 / Farmington, MO

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
April fools

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a Macintosh computer, a Macbook Pro laptop. We don't get viruses. I don't even have an anti virus program installed and never have. These virus problems exist in the windows world. I hope this one is just an April Fool's joke. The macintosh world is a relatively small subset of the larger computer world so the hackers leave us alone, at least they have so far.

Ken

·
Vendor
21,875 Posts
I'm in the midst of trying to repair a PC that a worm got into and did some serious damage to. It disabled all the auto update features of both Windows and Norton, and removed task manager and the restore feature and took away every tool you would normally use to repair it. I'm probably going to have to reload Windows on it from scratch.

While Conflicker may not have been as widespread as originally thought, don't kid yourself into thinking these things don't pose a real threat.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I have a Macintosh computer, a Macbook Pro laptop. We don't get viruses. I don't even have an anti virus program installed and never have. These virus problems exist in the windows world. I hope this one is just an April Fool's joke. The macintosh world is a relatively small subset of the larger computer world so the hackers leave us alone, at least they have so far.

Ken
It is a fairy tale that Macs are not as susceptible to viruses. If you are going to write a virus, you want it to spread to the most computers possible. That is what makes Windows PCs vulnerable. Macs are such a small percentage of computers that it wouldn't be worthwile. Besides, it shows that even the smartest programmers in the world (virus writers) don't play with Macs.:lol:

Just go to www.symantec.com. If you can access their site, it is unlikely you have the Conficker worm.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts

Ken

That's like saying that "I ride a goldwing with velcro sneakers and open face or no helmet at all because only those squidly crotch rockets crash".
Seems a bit of denial to me.
I do agree that Mac's are great computers and seem to be less prone to trouble but why would you not add the safety net of a security program?
Then again I've never been a victim of crime but do carry a Glock (or S&W .38 special) at all times.

Steve

·
Registered
571 Posts
I changed the crush washer on my PC
in October...no problems

It's a real virus...but if your
PC is set to update automatically
there was a fix in the Oct. update
called KB958644 that protects
from conflicker and others.It's
PM..just like on a bike.

Just because it hasn't caused
problems for some people yet
it may in a day or so.
Further info below
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2344170,00.asp

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Loren must have the virus ...it caused his PC to post this thread on the General Motorcycle message board.
:coffee1:

thats becuse this is where i read the end of the world was at hand from another virus hoax

·
Registered
541 Posts
All we have are Macs. What's a virus?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts