GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the Helibars risers and would like opinions on which backrest to try.

Did a search but couldn't find any recent discussions.

Seems like Utopia is the favorite, but I like the looks (and price) of the Show Chrome/ Bib Bike Parts backrest

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/410913

Also says its detachable though I can't see how that works from the instructions or if its even necessary.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Well, looks and price are important but comfort is more critical as it won't matter what it looks like or how much it costs if it's not comfortable...JMHO. All back rests are considered "detachable", it just a matter of removing the main pin and taking off the cushion. While some are easier than others, they all come off. Again, the back rest will be personal preference and you may find the Show Chrome seat the best fit but like everything, you won't know until you make the purchase and see how it feels. Most have gone with Utopia as that seems to fit most folks and they are happy with them but again, you may try it and not like it. We all have boxes of stuff we have purchased over the years that just didn't work out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the Show Chrome and am pleased with it. I thought it matched the style of the bike better then the Utopia. I had the Utopia on my 2012 and liked it. I find the Show Chrome to have a stiffer mount, it doesn't flex as much when you lean back against it. It also has a lot of adjust-ability. I have been able to get it to support my back just where it is most comfortable. It can be removed and will not have a bar sticking above the seat line when it is out. The bottom of the bar that holds the cushion is slotted, so it will slide over the screws on the mounting plate. The screws in the mounting plate have lock nuts so you can adjust the friction level for sliding the rest on and off. I have 13k+ miles on this bike and I installed it before doing any major trips.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the Show Chrome and am pleased with it. I thought it matched the style of the bike better then the Utopia. I had the Utopia on my 2012 and liked it. I find the Show Chrome to have a stiffer mount, it doesn't flex as much when you lean back against it. It also has a lot of adjust-ability. I have been able to get it to support my back just where it is most comfortable. It can be removed and will not have a bar sticking above the seat line when it is out. The bottom of the bar that holds the cushion is slotted, so it will slide over the screws on the mounting plate. The screws in the mounting plate have lock nuts so you can adjust the friction level for sliding the rest on and off. I have 13k+ miles on this bike and I installed it before doing any major trips.
Thanks for the feedback! Just what I was looking for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts