GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably jumping the gun here a little bit but don't think the OEM battery in my '01 will be reliable much longer, even on a charger for several months. Was looking at e-bay, have an ODYSSEY PC545 DRY CELL BATTERY HDL sells a Yuasa. Any pros & cons here? Something out there that's better? Or, think it would last another year as long as I kept it charged? Sure not interrested in pushing this puppy to get it started. Thanks for all your help. BB

·
Registered
21,145 Posts
There have been some early battery failures but I suspect if the battery in a 1800 is cared for resonablly most will work for 6 or more years but only time will tell. I intend to continue useing the original battery untill there is some indication it is failing. The idea of replacing after 3 years should increase the reliabillaty though. :yw1:

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Mine is 3 years old now also....................I intend to replace mine this Winter with another Yuasa as I never run a bike battery longer than 3 years.

Many will run the battery til it dies...........not me, I don't want to be caught stranded in the middle of nowhere. You'd sure kick yourself in the @$$ for not spending the $70 for a new one!

Some batteries will give you subtle indications of pending failure...........others will die without any prior indications of problems. Why take a chance, IMHO.

·
Registered
353 Posts
My '01 would not start a couple weeks ago, dead battery, so I ordered a Yuasa from Hal, that and 5 oil filters for the free shipping. :rw1: :rw1:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Batterys

I agree with Brian Fenner, my bike will be 3 years old on Feb. 27th, at which time my battery will be replaced with a DEKA battery which won the battery shoot out recently.
Yep, i would fill like a complete dumba$$ if my 3 year old battery failed way out in the boonies somewhere. Pay now or pay later, the same truth applies in all maintenance.
JD
2001 yellow abs

·
Registered
10 Posts
My gl1800 yuasa battery in 2001 over 3 years young and going strong. :D The first yuasa in my silverwing lasted 1 year, :cry: the second 1 month :evil: just got third and havnt installed it yet, no warranty. the Yuasa in my VTX 1 1/2 years died :? new one just arrived from Hal. I am loosing confidence in Yuasa which I have used forever

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Wing World did a battery test about 2 or 3 years ago, there had been a lot of talk about the Odyssey, they make a lot of really outlandish claims about their performance, they are rather high priced but try to make people feel they are worth it.

The competition included the Yuasa, Westco, Odyssey and a couple of others. Actual testing left the Odyssey in dead last place, the poorest performance of the bunch by far, the Odyssey performed so poorly they thought it might be defective, so they went out and bought a second one, it performed just as bad as the first one! In that test, the Westco had the best performance. That was before the DEKA battery was available, when it was tested and compared to the other batteries, Stu Oltman stated that the DEKA outperformed any battery they had ever tested.

A while back there was a feature on Corbin's Ride On TV show about the Odyssey, they toured the factory and talked to some of the people, they really pushed that they only used the finest materials, then they really went over the top, this guy said: "We use hospital grade battery acid." :hun1:

All I can say about it, that's about the dumbest thing he could possibly say! :shock:

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Ok guys, you've peaked my interest.................

Never heard of the Deka battery.............do you have more information on this? Website?
I was going to buy another Yuasa but I can be persuaded! :chat:

Thanks............

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
John,

Thanks for the information..........definitely something to consider! Price is comparable.

Would be nice to get an updated battery test that included the "big players" and how they faired against one another.

Thanks again..........

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
I like OEM!

·
Vendor
22,244 Posts
The Yuasa that Hal carries is a new heavy duty version that puts out more cold cranking amps than the OEM Yuasa. I'm also pretty sure that this new version wasn't the same one included in the battery test that Wing World did.

The OEM Yuasa is a YTX20LBS which puts out 270 CCA
The one Hal carries is a YTX20HLBS and it puts out 310 CCA

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with the battery Hal carries.

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/pdfs/TechMan.pdf

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Probably jumping the gun here a little bit but don't think the OEM battery in my '01 will be reliable much longer, even on a charger for several months. Was looking at e-bay, have an ODYSSEY PC545 DRY CELL BATTERY HDL sells a Yuasa. Any pros & cons here? Something out there that's better? Or, think it would last another year as long as I kept it charged? Sure not interrested in pushing this puppy to get it started. Thanks for all your help. BB
If you still have the original battery in a 01 wing, you do need to replace it for safety sake. Since the original has lasted that long, why would you want to change to something else? Yuasa has been good to me, mine lasted 5yrs.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Gentlemen

PLEASE don't get caught up in the CCA numbers war. The CCA are changed time and time again depending on which label the battery wears. As a DEKA dealer we see this all the time. The private label distributor can put what ever CCA on the battery they desire. All depends on what market they are targeting.

Example: DEKA (by East Penn Mfg in PA) ETX20L is a direct replacement for the OEM Yuasa and fits the Harley Softail/Sportster models. DEKA is the OEM supplier to Harley-Davidson. DEKA labels their battery at 270 CCA. The exact same battery (except for the Harley decal) is labeled 300CCA at your local HD shop...at almost twice the price. The difference is due to contract with HD not to market a direct replacement battery with same or higher CCA. :shrug:

Every DEKA ETX20L we have tested shows at least 400CCA.
They are Premium AGM units, sealed in a vacuum at factory, don't need to be filled/sealed/charged by customer and are an excellent battery.

The OEM Yuasa is also a good battery, but I change every 3 years also. I've been stranded in 107 degree heat and it isn't something I'd like to do again. I'll spend the $80 for a battery.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Even though I am riding a 1500 (working on making a deal for an 1800), I am looking at 6.5 years on a DEKA right now. I know that is pushing it but it continues to work great. I would strongly consider a DEKA for almost anything.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
If you still have the original battery in a 01 wing, you do need to replace it for safety sake. Since the original has lasted that long, why would you want to change to something else? Yuasa has been good to me, mine lasted 5yrs.
Considering that was posted 6 years ago, I'd guess the battery has been replaced at least one more time since this thread was started! ;)

Thinking back over my battery purchasing history over the past 4 or 5 decades on my own vehicles. I can say I have never purchased a battery as a maintenance item. I replace them when they fail (Or almost fail to start). I've never failed to get home because of a dead battery. Always carry jumper cables "just in case" and I do use them a couple of times a year to help someone else get their own vehicle going, (People leave their headlights on a lot in our parking garage).

I still have the Original battery in my 2005 GL1800A. I have WestCo AGM in my 1980 CB900C that is over 7 years old, but has mostly been on on a Battery tender Jr. since I bought the Wing in 2005. That battery still cranks and starts the 900. The original battery in my wife's 1998 Civic just gave up one day after 7 years of daily use, the replacement battery is still going strong. My 2003 Accord needed a new battery after just 2 years, (sudden failure, no warning), dealer replaced it and the replacement is going strong after 4 years now.

I had a string of bad batteries years ago when JC Penny had that lifetime guarantee battery. As I recall, that battery forced JC Penny out of the Automotive repair business. Firestone took over, replaced my JC Penny battery with one of theirs (with a "normal" warranty) and never had a never lick of trouble for years afterward.

I'm just not anal about batteries, use them till their used up. I like getting my full monies worth. I will replace a battery when it shows signs of slow starting, I just don't get that kind of warning very often. Batteries do not fail that often, it is just not a big concern for me.

I've got my Allstate Auto Club and Honda Roadside Assistance in case I do get stranded. So far I have never been stranded for more than an hour or so in over 40 years (Happened twice, both cases the battery failed suddenly and prematurely, 2 years old or less).

What? Me Worry??:shrug:

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :thumbup:

·
Vendor
22,244 Posts
Gentlemen

PLEASE don't get caught up in the CCA numbers war. The CCA are changed time and time again depending on which label the battery wears. ith same or higher CCA.
The two Yuasa part numbers and CCA numbers I listed are right off the Yuasa site, and considering the fact that both these CCA numbers came from the same manufactures spec sheet, I would have to assume that Yuasa tested both batteries in the same manner. Also, if you look at the spec sheet, you will notice the new Yuasa is slightly heavier than the OEM Yuasa, which tells me it has more lead in it. So I think it is safe to say that the new Yuasa battery Hal carries is indeed an upgrade over the OEM Yuasa.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
So what exactly is the point in bumping these old posts up... playing games?? Another way to jack up the ol post count? What??:shrug:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts