GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Which belly pan protection?

• Traxxion Dynamics

Votes: 37 62.7%
  • Wingstuff

Votes: 22 37.3%
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
'22 Goldwing DCT
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you installed a belly pan protection for your Goldwing?
If yes, which one did you select and WHY?

For starters, here are some initial reasons:
  • costs
  • ease of installation steps
  • perceived protection when it does hit a debris
  • influence from YouTube videos
  • hearsay from owners' crashes
  • bolted to engine case vs independent brackets
  • other independent studies of crash tests over debris

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
It's a no-brainer since there is only one available and that's the Traxxion.
Bingo!
If I want protection for my engine, oil filter and other vital components I'm not shopping for something that is a few $$ cheaper.
I want quality, well designed and a solid product.......Traxxion.

·
Registered
'22 Goldwing DCT
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Between the two, the Traxxion plate look and feel more solid. So, I agree on that.

But, there were discussions saying that the Traxxion option is bolted into the engine case which could actually increase the risks of tearing the engine case off when debris hit the plate.
How much truth is in this?

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Between the two, the Traxxion plate look and feel more solid. So, I agree on that.

But, there were discussions saying that the Traxxion option is bolted into the engine case which could actually increase the risks of tearing the engine case off when debris hit the plate.
How much truth is in this?
I suggest you watch the couple of videos Max (Traxxion) posted on his channel concerning the Engine Case Guard.......he dispels a lot of myths.

·
Registered
2022 DCT Non-Touring
84 Posts
How many documented engine case damage reports are known? I have insurance that covers damage like this. Why would I want to invest in something that will protect against a very minimal risk?

Not starting a fire here...just curious. :unsure:

·
Registered
'22 Goldwing DCT
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How many documented engine case damage reports are known? I have insurance that covers damage like this. Why would I want to invest in something that will protect against a very minimal risk?

In terms of documented cases, I don't think we know because the market for Goldwing is quite small and it may not attract money to do a study on it.

If we consider strictly only about insurance, I agree with you that you can claim it when it does happen.

But, I think most of us are thinking about the major disruption to our traveling plans and trips when it happens; sometimes, even a small dense pebble can puncture the oil filter and leave behind an oil trail.

·
Registered
2022 Blackwing Tour 6sp, Harley CVO Ultra - NW Chicago Burbs
326 Posts

I thought the same, as I've been riding all sorts of bikes for 45 years and have never heard of such an issue. However, the problem with Honda is parts. And the access design. I can strip and remove the engine on my Harley in a couple of hours and parts are always available. Not so with these Honda's. So in the event of a catastrophic problem like this, knowing that the cases were thinned in this weight saving attempt on these 2018+ models, you are facing many months of down time, which insurance probably won't cover. For me with other bikes, it's not the end of the world, but for those with one bike, it would be pretty tough to loose their bike for a good chunk of the riding season. That is what you are protecting.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

I never could understand this logic. Sure, we all have insurance to cover these types of road hazards, but why go through the misery of filing a claim and not having your beloved Wing for whole riding season. And on top of that, will your bike ever be the Same again. I'll pay a couple hundred dollars for cheap insurance and put the pan on

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I never could understand this logic. Sure, we all have insurance to cover these types of road hazards, but why go through the misery of filing a claim and not having your beloved Wing for whole riding season. And on top of that, will your bike ever be the Same again. I'll pay a couple hundred dollars for cheap insurance and put the pan on
An ounce of prevention…

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I thought the same, as I've been riding all sorts of bikes for 45 years and have never heard of such an issue. However, the problem with Honda is parts. And the access design. I can strip and remove the engine on my Harley in a couple of hours and parts are always available. Not so with these Honda's. So in the event of a catastrophic problem like this, knowing that the cases were thinned in this weight saving attempt on these 2018+ models, you are facing many months of down time, which insurance probably won't cover. For me with other bikes, it's not the end of the world, but for those with one bike, it would be pretty tough to loose their bike for a good chunk of the riding season. That is what you are protecting.
Hey, we said the same thing at the same time. Great minds think alike. :)

·
Registered
2022 DCT Non-Touring
84 Posts
I have other bikes in the garage. I don't worry about downtime. Very good points, nonetheless. I just don't spend money on bike gear unless it means something to me, or there is hard evidence I should have it. It's my personal preference. In addition, I'm fully capable of fixing my own rides when they break. Parts well, can't do anything about that. At the mercy of the parts fairy. ;)

Reactions: remoandiris

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,619 Posts

So you don't have to go thru the hassel of finding a competent mechanic who has the skill to remove your engine from the bike and then tear apart the engine and then put it all back together like it's came from the factory without scratching and breaking taps with the plastic....all while you wait 6 months, if your lucky, for your bike to be repaired.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I have other bikes in the garage. I don't worry about downtime. Very good points, nonetheless. I just don't spend money on bike gear unless it means something to me, or there is hard evidence I should have it. It's my personal preference. In addition, I'm fully capable of fixing my own rides when they break. Parts well, can't do anything about that. At the mercy of the parts fairy. ;)
I can respect that point of view, but changing an engine case is something you or I really don't want to do. And if a "professional certified Honda mechanic" did it I still wouldn't want the bike back. Oh, and I fix my own rides as well, even designed and made my own accessories too. That doesn't mean I'm not going to protect my ride from catastrophic damage if it is as simple as bolting on a piece of aluminum that nobody can see.

·
Registered
Scarlett aka The Crimson Couch (2018 Tour DCT)
153 Posts
Forget the merits of whether you should add one or not, OP just wants to know which to buy. Maybe he should add a "None" option to the poll.

I don't currently have one and am also debating getting one when the budget allows. I believe my DCT filter cover (15411-MKC-A00) has road debris damage and will compare when FedEx drops off the new one.

·
Registered
'22 Goldwing DCT
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My own. Just a heads up, the bottom of my bike took a very hard hit on this trip (I'm still on the road) in Utah. There is no doubt in my mind that it absolutely saved my engine case!
I applaud you for voicing out as a first-hand witness of debris-encounters! Thank you.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts