GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Which belly pan protection?

• Traxxion Dynamics

Votes: 37 62.7%
  • Wingstuff

Votes: 22 37.3%
41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Based on previous threads many people were basing it on the price......
When it comes to protecting an engine that can cost many thousands of $$ to repair, plus downtime, plus unsatisfactory repair........basing a decision on less than $100 difference seems silly IMHO.

If you feel the WS pan is more robust.......good on you, I don't.
I never said I thought it was more robust, I understand the Traxx is more robust I just did not like it.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Based on previous threads many people were basing it on the price......
When it comes to protecting an engine that can cost many thousands of $$ to repair, plus downtime, plus unsatisfactory repair........basing a decision on less than $100 difference seems silly IMHO.

If you feel the WS pan is more robust.......good on you, I don't.
If you're not installing the Traxxion and putting the WS on your bike you would be better off gluing empty beer cans to the engine as it would offer the same protection. The deal breaker for me on the WS is the asinine brackets and slots with "Wingstuff" cut into the metal, which weakens the structural integrity. Sorry, no thanks.

·
Registered
Scarlett aka The Crimson Couch (2018 Tour DCT)
153 Posts
If you're not installing the Traxxion and putting the WS on your bike you would be better off gluing empty beer cans to the engine as it would offer the same protection.
Do they have to be beer cans? I have empty Coke Zero cans and they go better with the colors of the bike.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
if it has give , it is probably going to ALLOW damage. think about what youre saying. I ordered the traxxion based off of reviews and I'm glad i did. that thing is solid. The posts about the pan being attached to the case being ripped off is nonsense. I have never heard of an engine case being ripped off. I think the traxxion is overpriced, but then so is everything these days.
Actually, the Traxxion one has exactly the same amount of give as does the Wingstuff one, save for where it is mounted to the engine.They will both have virtually the same amount of protection. The protection that they both offer is to allow the lower engine case to slide over obstructions rather than having the obstructions grab a protruding part of the engine and break it from the bikes forward momentum. If you decide to pop a wheelie with your GoldWing and you come down on a 10" diameter rock your engine case is toast with either a Traxxion pan, or a Wingstuff pan, or a home made pan. Your mileage won't vary on this one!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Until there are some real life examples, the differences in protection is just speculation.
Both will convert a transverse sheering action to a vertical load which would likely cause less damage.

Many cars have plastic shields underneath to improve airflow. They also probably have prevented some damage, as I see scratches on mine.

I once bought a Honda PC-800 from a guy who could no longer ride the bike. He ran over an rubber “alligator” and the ends flipped up and broke toes on both feet, as he rode over it. No belly pan would have helped in that case.

Lots of variables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Chard Member
13,417 Posts
Not sure when the Cruiseman video came out but that is not the belly pan that I got from Wingstuff. You can change the oil without removing the belly pan with mine. Just need a screwdriver and the front comes right off. Here is the video of the one that I got...
The BEST Belly Pan for HONDA GOLDWING! - YouTube
You’re talking pre 2018. These guys are talking 2018+

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
I can’t really recall the brand. But it’s aluminum and it’s saved my A$$ more than once. An advantage to the aluminum is that I’ve been able to remove, reshape and reinstall it a number of times with a medium size hammer. It ain’t purty anymore, but it works just as good as new.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I bought the Wingstuff. There is no doubt the Traxx unit is stronger and likely better built. My last 2 GL1800s had belly pans, and both showed evidence of impact, in the form of small dents and deep scratches. Neither was as thick and stout as the thinner Wingstuff. A 1/2” plate steel would be even better than the one Max built (Traxx). At some point we have to decide how much is enough. The much thinner one on my ‘08 was plenty adequate for everything it encountered.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,619 Posts
I once bought a Honda PC-800 from a guy who could no longer ride the bike. He ran over an rubber “alligator” and the ends flipped up and broke toes on both feet, as he rode over it. No belly pan would have helped in that case.

Lots of variables.

Wow it would be interesting to know what type of footwear the guy was wearing..I would bet he had sneakers on and not a boot built for a crash such as a Daytona boot...still a freak accurence, no doubt very painful.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
How many documented engine case damage reports are known? I have insurance that covers damage like this. Why would I want to invest in something that will protect against a very minimal risk?

Not starting a fire here...just curious. :unsure:

.....................Ummmm....................'cause you don't want it to happen in the first place/at all ??

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
In terms of documented cases, I don't think we know because the market for Goldwing is quite small and it may not attract money to do a study on it.

If we consider strictly only about insurance, I agree with you that you can claim it when it does happen.

But, I think most of us are thinking about the major disruption to our traveling plans and trips when it happens; sometimes, even a small dense pebble can puncture the oil filter and leave behind an oil trail.

HELLOOOOOO !!! Of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I thought the same, as I've been riding all sorts of bikes for 45 years and have never heard of such an issue. However, the problem with Honda is parts. And the access design. I can strip and remove the engine on my Harley in a couple of hours and parts are always available. Not so with these Honda's. So in the event of a catastrophic problem like this, knowing that the cases were thinned in this weight saving attempt on these 2018+ models, you are facing many months of down time, which insurance probably won't cover. For me with other bikes, it's not the end of the world, but for those with one bike, it would be pretty tough to loose their bike for a good chunk of the riding season. That is what you are protecting.

Of course !!!!!

And, It IS the end of the world...........for the bike in question no matter how many bikes one owns. Yes. Lose the bike for a riding season ??? If our GWs get hit in that area, the bike is toast. Done. Finis. Get it repaired ?? NO WAY. It'll never be the same.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I never could understand this logic. Sure, we all have insurance to cover these types of road hazards, but why go through the misery of filing a claim and not having your beloved Wing for whole riding season. And on top of that, will your bike ever be the Same again. I'll pay a couple hundred dollars for cheap insurance and put the pan on

DING DING DING DING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean really........................of course !!

41 - 60 of 102 Posts