GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Which belly pan protection?

• Traxxion Dynamics

Votes: 37 62.7%
  • Wingstuff

Votes: 22 37.3%
81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
9,230 Posts
Actually, the Traxxion one has exactly the same amount of give as does the Wingstuff one,
Not even close to being right. The Wingstuff pan is made of 5052 aluminum and the Trax pan is 6061. And those machined slots in the Wingstuff pan contribute to it's weakness. The two pans are not even close to the same. The strength of 6061 is FAR superior to that of 5052. On top of that, the Wingstuff pan is 3.2mm (0.125 inches) and the Trax pan is 4.8mm (0.1875 inches).

Although something is better than nothing, the ultimate protection is from Traxxion.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,618 Posts
In this application the different types of aluminum used is not really the factor...it's the thickness of the plate that makes the Traxxion case guard more protective against something pentrating the case guard..the Wingsuff pan is certainly better than the old models sheet metal pans, but not up to the level of Traxxions .1875" thick plate.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
is the newer generation wing stuff pan any easier to install? ive read in reviews that the brackets still need to be bent in order to fit. is that true?
Good question.

I ordered mine in June, 2 weeks before my Alaska trip. Followed the instructions and the brackets that came with mine did not fit with out a bunch of bending. I actually had to install the left bracket on the right side and visa versa, I got it installed, but was not happy.
I went onto the Wingstuff site and posted a negative review of the pan because of the brackets. That afternoon I got a phone call from Wingstuff apologizing about they brackets and the overnighted me a new set.
The new set fit right on with minimum effort. I told WS to remove my review. Great product, great price and great service.

·
Registered
303 Posts
this one, home made for 50 bucks, a copy of the wingstuff pan, happy with the protection it gives and i think it is stronger than their one, i wasn't crazy about how removing engine bolts, i know that at least here in Australia if i punched a hole in the motor they would not repair the bike, it would be an insurance wright off, so i would be getting a new bike anyway, but this will provide some protection against minor damage

·
Registered
2018 DCT Tour, Several Valks
36 Posts
Traxxion.

I use my Wing for work and work puts me on unimproved roads. Not a big deal, as I ride my bikes and don't worry about minor cosmetic issues. I put Max's guard on and was impressed with the fit & hardware.
A month goes by and I cross a small dirt berm in the road, small enough it seemed. To my surprise, she bottomed out on the berm. No issues, but when I got home, I checked it closer and could see shinny gouges. Dropped the plate and found this.
Hood Automotive tire Wood Tire Automotive lighting

bottom of plate
Helmet Grey Automotive exterior Rectangle Bumper

No damage except to the plate, as designed. Cleaned it up and reinstalled. I believe that damage would have been to the pipes if the plate wasn't there.

Thanks Max, keep the quality parts coming.
Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,618 Posts
I stuff some 1/2" round foam insulation in the gap at the front of the plate to seal off that gap...should keep the small pebbles and other debris out between the pan and the engine.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,618 Posts
would you mind posting a pic of what you done?
I get a picture the next time I'm out in the garage but it's just some 1/2" to 3/4" round foam insulation that you cut to lengh and stuff in the gap between the case guard and chin fairing to seal it...any home depo store has it where all the insulation is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have you installed a belly pan protection for your Goldwing?
If yes, which one did you select and WHY?

For starters, here are some initial reasons:
  • costs
  • ease of installation steps
  • perceived protection when it does hit a debris
  • influence from YouTube videos
  • hearsay from owners' crashes
  • bolted to engine case vs independent brackets
  • other independent studies of crash tests over debris
I made my own using 3/16" 6061 aluminum (same as Traxxion). I used an independent bracket for the front attaching to the lower bolts where the factory tip-over bar attaches to the frame. In the rear I currently have a similar set up like the Traxxion. I also shaped it to protect the shifter boss (6M) and I extended mine to prevent stuff from flying up (it has helped tremendously with the dirt and dust under the seat).
The pics attached are not that great, it was after a trip in the rain and there was a lot of grime. The left front edge is scraped from "spirited" riding on TOTD, suspension compressed tight left hander.
I have already have it save me from road debris, nothing big, but still worked.
If I would have purchased, it would have been the Traxxion Bellypan, Max makes quality stuff IMO.

Attachments

·
Registered
'21 DCT Tour
1,628 Posts
I made my own using 3/16" 6061 aluminum (same as Traxxion). I used an independent bracket for the front attaching to the lower bolts where the factory tip-over bar attaches to the frame. In the rear I currently have a similar set up like the Traxxion. I also shaped it to protect the shifter boss (6M) and I extended mine to prevent stuff from flying up (it has helped tremendously with the dirt and dust under the seat).
The pics attached are not that great, it was after a trip in the rain and there was a lot of grime. The left front edge is scraped from "spirited" riding on TOTD, suspension compressed tight left hander.
I have already have it save me from road debris, nothing big, but still worked.
If I would have purchased, it would have been the Traxxion Bellypan, Max makes quality stuff IMO.
Good job! You ought to make them and sell them.

81 - 100 of 102 Posts