GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read a post and a switch ( Hazard switch ) was now unobtainable. I saw further in that post another member offered a remedy which is great.

That got me thinking. I wonder which parts are known to be getting a little hard to obtain?

I intend to ride my current Wing forever and will admit I can be a bit anal and fussy with the servicing and overall maintaining of my Wing. I would like to hear suggestions on what is known to fail and what bits are getting harder to get.

I would like to make a list of those items.

I would also like to make a list of tips and little gems like blowing out the alternator as part of the service.

Then apply that to my service package for my Wing.

I will update the Bits and Tips lists along the way.

My Wing is one of the last US builds, a 2009 nav/ comfort. bought new here in New Zealand in 2011 and currently has 60,000k on the clock.

Please come down and play.

Kiwi
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BITS:

Rear drive unit.
ECM
OEM alternator
Nav screen - replace with LQ065T9BR54U

TIPS:

Lever pivot points - lube
Alternator - blow out dust and crap
Remove battery box to access that alternator bolt

·
Vendor
17,822 Posts
I read a post and a switch ( Hazard switch ) was now unobtainable. I saw further in that post another member offered a remedy which is great.

That got me thinking. I wonder which parts are known to be getting a little hard to obtain?
For 5th gens, never has there been any individual switches available in any of our switch assemblies or panels. It is true for the radio panel also. However, there are 2 exceptions to that. The first is a kill switch repair kit as shown in SB-2, and the 2nd is a fog lamp switch. Honda sells an individual fog lamp switch for the left switch panel. In both cases, these switches are still available.

As for actual discontinued parts. The list continues to grow. Some that come to mind are engine covers. To my knowledge for some years they've been on indefinite backorder for years. The clutch oil pressure relief valve on 2001-05, and an internal engine gasket for those years is also no longer available.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grieg, first cab off the rank. Welcome.
Some good info there.

These engine covers, are they the chrome or painted?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts