GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't normally buy chrome exterior parts for cosmetic reasons. But they do sometimes have functional purposes.

I am on my second lower cowl in 10 years. The painted OEM cowls take a real beating from stones, tar, and other debris. My second one is now pretty much pulverized, and needs to be replaced again.

Do any of the aftermarket chrome cowls stand up well to the abuse? I will break down and buy one if it will hold up better. I know there are differences in quality, but since I never pay attention to bling threads, I have no idea which one is best.

The LIMICS guys are going to have a field day with this one. ;)

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

Larry, my experience in general with that one-atom-thick stuff they call "chrome" is that it is no more abrasion resistant than paint - and usually less.

If I can offer an alternative idea, how about something that is easily renewed when it gets chipped? There are chip resistant paints for automobile rims that can be easily retouched if they get chipped. Try Eastwood Auto or Duplicolor.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Larry I saw a thread about having Line-X sprayed on it. Have no idea how it looks but it's pretty tough in my pickup bed.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Larry I saw a thread about having Line-X sprayed on it. Have no idea how it looks but it's pretty tough in my pickup bed.
Just bought a used one for $25 on ebay. Plan on removing the chome one that's there and doing the "home style" spray on bed liner with Plasti-Kote or Dupli-Color. It isn't as good as the commercially applied stuff, but I'm hesitant to spend $50 to cover a $25 part :).

jason

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
A friend of mine uses the Dupli-Color spray on bed liner on his V-Strom. It holds up well to stone impacts and he just touches it up if needed.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I bought a chrome cowl several years ago; so far it is holding up better than the OEM one did. I think it is big bike parts?-- I picked it up at the honda dealer when they were having somewhat of a sale.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bedliner stuff would certainly stop the chipping problem. But I don't want my bike to look like a pickup truck. Bedliner is a great idea in a pickup bed because the alternative is rust. But the stuff isn't very attractive looking. It was a nice idea however.

Ronab, when you say it is holding up better, does that mean it is still chipping, just not as bad? I am hoping to eliminate the problem, not just reduce it.

If the chrome ones on the market are cheaply made, I would probably be better off just doing what I have been doing, which is buying a takeoff for $25.

I'm just hoping that somebody make a durable, high quality one.

There is also the possibility that maybe I should invest in a fender extender that is longer than the Showchrome one that I have. It really isn't very effective. Obviously!:lol:

·
Registered
791 Posts
I was under the impression the Goldwing plastic has the chrome plating on the inside surface, not the side that's exposed.

Pete

·
Registered
810 Posts
The bedliner stuff would certainly stop the chipping problem. But I don't want my bike to look like a pickup truck. Bedliner is a great idea in a pickup bed because the alternative is rust. But the stuff isn't very attractive looking. It was a nice idea however.
Yea... I'm going through a bit of an anti-chrome phase and bedliner is about as far as I can get from chrome :).

Maybe next I'll replace my chrome battery covers with steel wool:joke:.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Honestly, I think the best choice, is to just replace the piece when it gets so beat up that you can't stand it anymore.

Chrome plated plastic will flex, chip, and do the same the stock piece is doing.

We have used 3M Rubberized Undercoating Spray, on Alum. Splash Panels in Racecars, but it just slows down the process of beating them up. And Linex would look about the same.

Other option would be, a longer Front Fender Extension. I have 30,000 miles on mine and the Cowl looks fine.

Of course, your roads are worse than ours, but I have been over most of the USA. with mine.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I don't normally buy chrome exterior parts for cosmetic reasons. But they do sometimes have functional purposes.

I am on my second lower cowl in 10 years. The painted OEM cowls take a real beating from stones, tar, and other debris. My second one is now pretty much pulverized, and needs to be replaced again.

Do any of the aftermarket chrome cowls stand up well to the abuse? I will break down and buy one if it will hold up better. I know there are differences in quality, but since I never pay attention to bling threads, I have no idea which one is best.

The LIMICS guys are going to have a field day with this one. ;)
Answer to your question (hondaline) makes a nice one I bought one in 09 $108. on sale from are host, held up well, but like anything else if you don't clean it it's going to look like s--t. Kur. is terrible if you don't buy from a dealer, you don't get any where with them, it seems everything from them peels off in time,

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I don't think I have any places where the chrome has actually peeled off, but gunk from the roads will get on it. I periodically wash and clean my bike b/c I do like the looks of a clean bike, but I am not a fanatic cleaner and polisher like some guys are.
If you wash the cowl regularly and keep a good polish/wax/? on it, I think it will last well. I will say that mine is not as pretty and shiny as when it was new--I am too lazy too clean it that well. But I like the looks better then the OEM color.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
That's your ticket to repairing the lower cowl. I believe the Auto Parts store sell it in spray cans.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I'd go with the Hondaline chrome cowl.

I bought the Hondaline one for my '03 that year, and am still using it on my '10. It still looks like new. I keep it cleaned and polished. No signs yet of fading, chipping, peeling, etc.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I should have known asking this question would not make the decision any easier. :lol: But at least now I won't be stabbing at thin air. Good info to chew on.

Enough people are advocating the bedliner, which makes it compelling to at least think about it.

I did not know that Honda made a chrome lower cowl. Their chrome has always been much more durable than anything in the aftermarket. That makes the chrome choice easier if I go that route.

I am going to go price the Honda cowl compared to OEM takeoffs.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks James.

I noticed that when I started digging last night. My first reaction was.. :22yikes:

But after thinking about it, I tempered my surprise. Honda chrome is high quality, and you have to be willing to pay for it.

I am leaning towards asking Santa Claus for the Honda cowl for Christmas. Then I am going to replace the Showchrome fender extension with something that adds some real protection. It's looking pretty ratty anyway. The chrome is fading, which happens to all their products. The trouble is going to be finding a replacement that can use the holes I drilled for the current one.

Thanks to everyone for all the ideas. I will keep monitoring this. So if anyone has any more suggestions, let me know.

·
Registered
728 Posts
GOOD LUCK with Santa Claus!!!

Thanks James.

I noticed that when I started digging last night. My first reaction was.. :22yikes:

But after thinking about it, I tempered my surprise. Honda chrome is high quality, and you have to be willing to pay for it.

I am leaning towards asking Santa Claus for the Honda cowl for Christmas. Then I am going to replace the Showchrome fender extension with something that adds some real protection. It's looking pretty ratty anyway. The chrome is fading, which happens to all their products. The trouble is going to be finding a replacement that can use the holes I drilled for the current one.

Thanks to everyone for all the ideas. I will keep monitoring this. So if anyone has any more suggestions, let me know.
Good Luck with asking Santa Claus, last I heard he had laid-off several elves and it doesn't look like he'll be replacing them anytime soon. I also heard he'd applied for a "hardship" tax break from the Goverment and they told him to shove his request where the sun don't shine. Last I heard, he had buried it somewhere just south of the North Pole. :roll:

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
E-Gads! I hope not, or I may end up spraying bedliner on my existing cowl.

I may have to step up the treats I give Santa. :lol:

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Larry, I went back to just dealing with the scratches and grunge on the cowling ... after replacing 3 back fender pieces and 2 caliper covers in 2 years. Those were entirely due to wanting a fender extension ... and buying one of the very first ones put out by Bushtec and then exchanging for a color-matched. The unsupported length just flexed too danged much and I ended up thinking that replacing the cowling would be much cheaper than the fender parts.
At the cost they can be picked up on eBay ... it's hard to beat putting a new(er) one on every 4-5 years. On the OrangeCrush, after 58,000 miles it was starting to look like I should think about that ...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts