GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get turned around easily and can't afford a GPS, as I'm saving my pennies to trike my wing. I don't really need a GPS, just like to know what direction I may be headed at any given time. What is a good compass and where can I find it? Also, where is a good place to install on GL1800? Thanks, Harry

·
Registered
533 Posts
Boat store

I would suggest that you drop in to a West Marine, Boaters World or go on-line with a boat supply outfit and check out their compasses. You will find some that can be mounted on the dashboard and others that con be mounted on one of the front pocket doors.

Try to get to such a store, because when you have one in your hand, it will be easy to decide where to mount it.

Secondly: its not my business, but are you sure that you want to trike it? You can get a nice convertable for less.

2,732 Posts
Compass comment

I've tried a compass on the Canyon Dancer and the magnets near the front end of the bike will not leave the needle on the compass register true north, either that or I'm going too fast and the compass needle can't catch up to the bike......suppose that could be it :shock: :wink:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have heard that before Canyon, thats why was hoping someone had an idea.

S

·
0 Posts
Any compass will work - I have a digital unit which I purchased on eBay. Only problem is the speaker magnets up front makes them useless. What I did is removed the speakers and mounted them in the rear speaker area.
They are a perfect fit and now the compass works perfect.
I only use the speakers when I am in the garage or washing the bike and use headphones otherwise so I have not intent on ever installing front speakers again. If you don't move the speakers than a gps is the only other option.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I got a cheap $70 dollar garmin gps to use as a compuss works great.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I got a cheap $70 dollar garmin gps to use as a compuss works great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts