GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased the HF Tag-a-Long trailer and I am going to get the Rivco hitch, it comes with the 3" drop or optional 6" drop or no drop. Which one is going to work with the HF trailer? Also, since the hitch comes with the isolator harness I think I will only need to only get the 4 to 5 converter, however I am also going to get LED lights for the trailer so is there another item that will be needed to get the lights to work propery? Thanks for any info on this.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I use the 6 inch drop pulling a Aluma trailer with 12 inch wheels.

·
Canuck
2,826 Posts
I had a similar question and I emailed Rivco. Found them to be quite helpful. Here is what they said (plus their contact info):

Hitches ship standard with the 3 Drop. Which is for trailers that have a tongue height from 11 to 14 inches. This is compatible with 90% of all trailers. The 6 drop is for trailers with a level tongue height of 8-11 inches. The 0 drop or straight out tongue will give a level trailer height, 13-16 inches. The 0 drop is very uncommon. The weight of the trailer does not really have alot to do with the drop tongue as they are all rated the same.

I hope that this will help with your question. If there is anything else that we are able to assist you with here at RIVCO please feel free to contact us back here at RIVCO.

Ride Safe,

Stephanie Warner
Sales Asscoiate
RIVCO Products, Inc
Phone: 1-262-763-8222
Toll Free: 1-888-801-8222
Fax: 1-262-763-8949
Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I don't know what your trailer requires but I needed the 6" for my Kwik Kamp with 8" wheels and my Breeze cargo trailer with 12" wheels. I would recommend getting the 6" drop, the 3" drop are much easier to come by used.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
We started building trailers and trailer hitches for motorcycles in the fifties. When the /5 Beemers came out, we had to raise the hitch a little because of the mufflers, and we set the ball height at one foot to the center.

When Marklan and others started making hitches, they also had a ball height of about a foot. As the motorcycle trailer industry grew, that seemed to become a standard, a foot to the center of the ball.

Trailers built for autos are typically set at about 15 inches to the center of the ball from the ground.

For GL 1800s, the bottom of the ball is roughly at the height of the bottom of the fender. The Bushtec hitch ball plate emerges from below the fender and so is about that height.

The Rivco with a 6 inch drop also is about even with the bottom of the fender to the top of the ball plate.

Trailers and trailer frames meant to be pulled by cars are a few inches high for the motorcycle ball height of a foot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts