GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are thinking we want to give the MC Camper a try. I've been a tent camper forever but now that we have the Wing we want to do some traveling and my wife says she is willing to give camping a try. I want to do everything I can to make this work so I'm sure a camper is in order.
My question is what features / designs do you find important to consider and what brand / model are best to solve those concerns?
I know questions like "what trailer is best" will get as many suggestions as responses so thought I'd narrow it down. Lets leave costs out (for now) just designs and what to consider. Ones I can think of are:
1)tow ability 2)storage space 3)ease of set up 4)accessability to stored items 5) do you have to unload all stored items to set up camper? 6) AC
So all you who have campers...............what would you look for if you replaced it? Thank you.

·
Registered
487 Posts
My wife and I are thinking we want to give the MC Camper a try. I've been a tent camper forever but now that we have the Wing we want to do some traveling and my wife says she is willing to give camping a try. I want to do everything I can to make this work so I'm sure a camper is in order.
My question is what features / designs do you find important to consider and what brand / model are best to solve those concerns?
I know questions like "what trailer is best" will get as many suggestions as responses so thought I'd narrow it down. Lets leave costs out (for now) just designs and what to consider. Ones I can think of are:
1)tow ability 2)storage space 3)ease of set up 4)accessability to stored items 5) do you have to unload all stored items to set up camper? 6) AC
So all you who have campers...............what would you look for if you replaced it? Thank you.
I have a used Travelite camper that I've only had since April. I love it but if I was going to get another one and money was no object I would probably go with a Leisurelite because of the simplicity of setup. I can set my Travelite up in about 10 minutes which is not a major concern unless it's raining. The Leisurelite sets up in about 1 minute plus you should be able to set it up the way it's built and nothing get wet inside while setting it up in the rain. Other than that my Travelite does everything I need it to do.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankx MLSA, We'll do some research. As of now we're looking at the Aspen Classic. They are made within 100 miles of us. Wondering what the members here think about those.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Aspen

We looked at both the Aspen Classic and the Bunkhouse and we went with the Classic, one reason why was the way Peggy at Trailmaster was willing to answer all of our questions plus she was willing to come in on a Saturday so that I would not have to miss work. Plus the customer service with them have been great.

We picked up our Aspen Classic in March of this year. So far we have spent over 35 nights in it, with temps from the mid 30's to the mid 90's. We pull it behind our wing and love it. Just got back from six days in WI Dells, the camper has been all we could have hoped for. It has been in wind and rain both set up and while towing it. We have kept the stock mattress and it has done fine. (I am on the North side of 50 and she is in the mid 40's)

We did buy the screen room with the camper and it has been a great addition to the camper. We have added an AC to the unit and took it with us when we went to Branson in July. We can set it up in under 10 mins with no trouble at all about 15 if you count the screen rooms.

If you have any questions just let me know.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We just went through the same process. It came down to three campers. Roll-a-home, bunkhouse and aspen classic. Remember "to each his own" and I'm knocking anyone of the three. I had concerns about the roll-a-home design, with the back part of the box filpping over with the top, and leveling such a ridgid set-up. The bunkhouse and aspen are pretty close to the same. The aspen classic was our choise because 1) it has a complete frame 2) leveling jacks on all 4 corners 3) the "basement" adds more storage space. All are personal preferences. All three are probably excellent campers, we just decided on and got the aspen classic
Mike

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We just went through the same process. It came down to three campers. Roll-a-home, bunkhouse and aspen classic. Remember "to each his own" and I'm knocking anyone of the three. I had concerns about the roll-a-home design, with the back part of the box filpping over with the top, and leveling such a ridgid set-up. The bunkhouse and aspen are pretty close to the same. The aspen classic was our choise because 1) it has a complete frame 2) leveling jacks on all 4 corners 3) the "basement" adds more storage space. All are personal preferences. All three are probably excellent campers, we just decided on and got the aspen classic
Mike
Thank you Mike, I assume you are happy with your Aspen Classic. Have you had the chance to use it much? We are leaning tward the Aspen Classic as well. Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
607 Posts
If you get the Classic with a basement you might consider adding the electric brake option because of the trailer's weight.

·
Registered
513 Posts
We (wife and I ) have the Aspen Classic 8 years now and are pretty happy with it. It comes with a California King size bed and a 6' X 6' room. I like that you can open all of the windows to the point where it is almost a screen room. Setup and teardown can be a little tough with one person because you have to be careful not to get the tenting and screening material pinched but it is do-able. Our cover could use replacing as it is starting to crack and one day we might replace all of the tenting. When new we left it outside and the ants got in and created a few holes in the screen so we patched them but we've learned that lesson the hard way.

I bought the chrome package and that looks nice as well as the swivel hitch, tongue stand and the electric brakes. The canopy option too but in all these years we have never attached it to the camper. I guess we just pack up the camper and go.

I think the ease of the Leisurelite would be nice but the bed is only 54" wide and that would be a little tight for me.

I have the Prodigy brake controller mounted in the right front ferring compartment, the one with the key lock.
http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx

Good Luck!

Bryan

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with either a Bunkhouse, Aspen or Roll-A-Home. They are all great campers and are similar in design and features. It just comes down to your personal preferences. You will enjoy any of them! :thumbup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a rolla home in 03, Have pulled it about 48000 miles. We (wife and I) love it. Easy setup, lots of storage, I carry my TV,A/C,Ice chest, Heaters both gas and elect. stove ,pots and pans and still have plenty of room for clothes food ect.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'm not really a very good shopper, in the sense that I research every detail of all the options. My wife and I saw some pop up campers @ the Tulsa Wing Ding a couple of years ago. We decided on the Aspen Classic based on the size. I've found out over the years of my camping larger is better for me. I like having lots of room. I hate being cramped in a tent, and knew I wanted plenty of room in my pop up.

I was looking for a trailer for my GW and was not really aware of all the cargo space with the pop-ups. I love to camp so the pop-up trailer was the answer as it killed 2 birds with one stone. I can still use it as just strictly a storage trailer and/or go camping as well.

I didn't research the other campers too much. I did see about 5 different ones at the wing-ding and it appeared to me the classic was the largest. I love having a large bed to sleep on. The storage area is quite large and when I first got it, I thought there was going to be a lot of extra room. I was so wrong. I still didn't have enough room for everything. That is my fault as I always try to bring too much stuff; but the storage area really is big.

I'm not sure if any of the other campers were as big, but it seemed like the classic was biggest one I saw at the time, so that was pretty much my deciding factor.

One other factor to me is where the poles are located. A couple of other campers had the poles on the outside. I didn't particularly care for that. Not sure why, but I pefer the poles to be on the inside. Just seems like it is easier to work with and they stay out of the weather.

As someone mentioned earlier, working with Peggy at Trailmaster makes things so much better also. She really takes care and pays attention to all the details.

I haven't done this yet, but you should definitely consider a brake controller. I've already found out that there is an additional weight pushing my bike when I stop that I would like to have some help with.

Bottom line for me was basically size. I wanted the most room I could get.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Ease of setup and breakdown plus light weight were most important factors for me. I chose a Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate and am very pleased with it. After unhitching from the Wing it is setup in under 3 minutes and that's taking your time. Breaks down just as fast. Weighs 260 lbs. and when ready for the road it is a hard fiberglass cover all the way around.

My girlfriend and I use it to travel and rarely spend more than one night at a campsite so for us it works well. It has permanent cushions so you are not dealing with an air mattress(which I dislike) 15 CF of storage also.

We have taken it on 3 sustained tours now and getting ready for a fourth. I see no reason to change units. It has already more than paid for itself.

Good luck on your search. We all have different needs and all the above units mentioned are fine campers.

Fred

·
Registered
51 Posts
So all you who have campers...............what would you look for if you replaced it? Thank you.[/QUOTE]

i bought an Aspen Classic this year after looking at most of the campers out there and i am very happy with it. To answer your questions: 1) The Aspen tows great. the "basement' keeps the weight low for a better center of gravity. They can do this because of their full tube frame and straight tongue with no welds or bends. ( They are the only camper manufacturer that brag about the frame.) 2) The Classic has the largest storage space. 3) The inside poles on the Classic make a one person set up easy and allows for a seamless roof. 4) You can get to the storage easily when towing or set up. in a Rollahome you can only get at one end of the trailer once set up. 5) You can set up the camper without moving any of your storage. The tent goes on top of the storage area. The A.C. is a good idea and works good. If I replaced the Classic, I would buy another Classic. It has the largest windows, it is very well built, and Trailmaster is a great company to deal with. Call Peggy at 800 398 9090 she is a wonderful person and can answer any question you have about the camper. Take a ride over and see one you will be glad you did.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Wing'nit...

After you get a pop-up be sure to ask for pointers and advice. Actually, there is already a lot of advice here.

Not sure if you've pulled trailers before, but one thing I want to point out is to get the load adjusted just right. The trailer will fish tail on you while driving down the road if the trailer load is balanced correctly.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Wing'nit...

After you get a pop-up be sure to ask for pointers and advice. Actually, there is already a lot of advice here.

Not sure if you've pulled trailers before, but one thing I want to point out is to get the load adjusted just right. The trailer will fish tail on you while driving down the road if the trailer load is balanced correctly.
I don't get this statement and I have read this before as to loading, I guess I've just been lucky with the loading because I have never noticed any fish tailing. My wife and I usually have the trailer pretty loaded down though.

I just checked out that Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate on line video and I really like it but, we'd have to downsize our camping operation to move into one of those. It would be quick and easy though.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I don't get this statement and I have read this before as to loading, I guess I've just been lucky with the loading because I have never noticed any fish tailing. My wife and I usually have the trailer pretty loaded down though.

I just checked out that Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate on line video and I really like it but, we'd have to downsize our camping operation to move into one of those. It would be quick and easy though.
Yep the Mini-Mate is a fine camper and I love mine, but ya do have to travel a little lighter, which works for me. If you and you SO like a lot of room this one won't work for ya.

Fred

·
Registered
279 Posts
I when with the ease of setting up leesurelite looked the easies . but you
maybe give up space. being lite is also what I was looking at.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you for all the help. Going to look at the Aspen for starters. (Nice and close to us).
John

1 - 20 of 28 Posts