GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 2007 Airbag Wing and I want to install some fog lamps on the bottom cowling. I have seen OEM Honda ones and also Electrical Connection fog lamps, like in Fred's pictures. I am leaning to the more expensive OEM ones because of the easy and neat switch install. I mean, OEM stuff should fit correctly, shouldn't it? I know EC has Amber lights available but Honda does not. EC airbag bike light kits need a special switch and a separate hole, which I am not keen on. Any thoughts about which is best for visibility, so people in cars can see me? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I installed the 55w EC Bright White lights with the OEM switch on my non-airbag bike last week and I have had several Goldwing riders comment on the brightness and color of the lights. I don't know how they compare with the Honda lights but I do think they are very good. They were 'plug and play' on the non-airbag and the OEM switch fit right into the panel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Steve, thanks for your thoughts. The only thing I face is on the airbag wing, I have to use the EC switch and drill a big hole somewhere to mount it. I cannot use the OEM switch like you did with the EC lights. But I can use the OEM switch with the OEM Honda lights.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Yeah I understand. Having the OEM switch was something I wanted too. I wanted it to fit in and look factory with the other switches. If I couldn't have gotten the OEM switch with the EC lights I probably would have gotten the Honda lights.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
The EC lights are a better setup than OEM. EC uses a relay to handle the current, OEM sends it through the switch. For visibility to others on the road, put the amber covers on.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I'm on my 3rd wing and have had the Honda fog lights on all them, no problems with any of them.
I rode with DDking this weekend and he added some PIAA riding lights which are very bright. I may do this as well, I think they go between the headlamps and fog lights. You can never have too many lights.
Similar to these from Hals though I don't know anything about these:

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6499&str=4
Steve

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Can't really speak to a comparison but I installed the Hondaline LED Foglamps on my '09 Airbag Wing. Those I ride with say the lights are very intense are are VERY suprised when I tell them they are LED.

I too wanted a "factory like" install. I wasn't expecting these to help me see much. I wanted them to be seen. But they do a very good job at flooding the area between the bike and where the headlights start with very white light so I've been very pleased.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Can't really speak to a comparison but I installed the Hondaline LED Foglamps on my '09 Airbag Wing. Those I ride with say the lights are very intense are are VERY suprised when I tell them they are LED.

I too wanted a "factory like" install. I wasn't expecting these to help me see much. I wanted them to be seen. But they do a very good job at flooding the area between the bike and where the headlights start with very white light so I've been very pleased.
I second the Honda LED fog lights..............expensive but they are well worth the money IMHO. Look nice and sure make you get noticed.

·
Registered
19,314 Posts
I have the ECs and am happy with them

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have the Honda LED's as well. I didn't realize LED's could put out so much light. Expensive, but I shouldn't have to change bulbs for a very long time.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Ok Brian. Do you have a carpeted garage or are you keeping the bike in your living room? :shock:

·
Registered
466 Posts
I had the OEM fog lights for some time but have decided to install the EC driving lights instead. The lights are quite low and should do a good job of filling in the dark spots. I also liked the relay operation and ability to turn them on and off regardless of hi/lo beam selection.

A fellow rider has the LED version of the fog lights. We both agree that the color and solid state design are nice but the OEM lights put out more power.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts