GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty simple question this time :grin2:
What is the best GPS and mount for the '18/'19 bike?

Please share your experiences and preferences.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Let’s see. 99 waypoints. A large screen you can see in all light conditions. A thief can not walk off with it. It gets you from where you are to where you want to go. It might not be the most intuitive GPS but I have managed to input addresses I want. Only thing I’d like to see in curvy route function.

So why?

DA>:)

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
It my not be the best GPS but learn how to use it and do your homework the night before. I study the route the night before if I am unsure of where I am going. I also write the turns on my windshield with a dry erase marker.
I thought about adding my BMW Nav VI but decided I could use the mount as a water bottle holder.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It my not be the best GPS but learn how to use it and do your homework the night before. I study the route the night before if I am unsure of where I am going. I also write the turns on my windshield with a dry erase marker.

I thought about adding my BMW Nav VI but decided I could use the mount as a water bottle holder.

I mounted the Garmin 395. Much easier than onboard gps

·
Registered
19,254 Posts
I get by with the stocker. But if you want the best Garmin Zumo 595LM a close second would be the Zumo 395

·
Registered
440 Posts
I get by with the stocker. But if you want the best Garmin Zumo 595LM a close second would be the Zumo 395

I have the Zumo 390 on my GL1833 Airbag and the Zumo 595 on the Africa Twin. The Zumo 390 has much better readable screen colours and contract then the 595 with its vague colours, I would recommend the Zumo 395 for that.

I bought the 595 for the Africa Twin under the assumption that it was larger brother of the 390 (which I also used on my previous 2013 GL1832Airbag) with larger screen and ability to also have music on the AT. I was really disappointed in the colours and contrast of the 595 and learned from Garmin they use other screen technology between them. I regretted the purchase of the 595, but learned to live with it for my travels on the AT.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Honda and it's free ;)

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have the Zumo 390 on my GL1833 Airbag and the Zumo 595 on the Africa Twin. The Zumo 390 has much better readable screen colours and contract then the 595 with its vague colours, I would recommend the Zumo 395 for that...

I took a look at the 395 but stumbled on the 396. If I was purchasing a GPS, I think I would go with a certified refurbished 396 as it has all the capabilities of the 395 but also adds free traffic and weather via a smartphone app. Both have lifetime maps. I found it at GPS City for $329 which is only $4 more than the 395.

https://www.gpscity.com/search/q=motorcycle/&p=1&c=3&t=motorcycle+gps

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
The Zumu is best. Best mount depends upon if your bike is DCT or has clutch. Ram has a mount that replaces the Honda spacer where the clutch would be, if you have DCT. Works quite well.

prs

I use the stock gps and augment that with the iPhone aps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts