GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its time to replace my 3 year old MIO GPS and upgrade to something new. With the myriad of units on the market and endless articles and opinions asking here to those of you who ride the same thing I do.

I would prefer something I can upload/download routes. I dont do long rides but want the ability to plan/route the entire US.

I want some bells and whistles but I dont want to have an overly complicated monster thats impossible to use.

I love gadgets but not over kill

So with that being said. What do you use or recommend?

Comments? Suggestions? Laughter? Smart Remarks?

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
How much do you want to spend including the mount and hard wiring to the bike?

If you're looking in the $200 range, one of the Garmin Nuvi 7XX or 8xx models. They're not waterproof so you have take it off or cover it in bad weather.

For $300 to $400, I would consider the Garmin 2730 and if you want bluetooth capability, the Garmin 2820. They're waterproof and have most all of the bells and whistles (i.e. MP3 player, audio book and the capability to do XM radio, weather and traffic).

The Zumo 550 is a good choice, but they're pricey...$600+ no including the antenna to receive all the XM stuff.

My personal recommendation would be the Garmin 2820, Jon's dash mount and the Kennedy wiring harness and ISOset. If you have multiple AD's (Alert Devices) like a GPS and a Radar Detector, then a DualSet from Kennedy. Then, if you want to pair the GPS with your Bluetooth cell phone and make and receive calls while riding, get the EdSets Microphone Spliter/Isolator Cable. With that setup, you can do it all. This complete setup will run about $600 to $650, brand new everything.

Garmin 2820 with GXM30 antenna for XM: http://www.getfeetwet.com/products/SKU-010-00517-05-B1-EXCLUSIVE--Garmin-StreetPilot-2820-Bundle-(with-GXM-30)__010-00517-05-B1.aspx

Jon's Dash Mount, wiring harness and IsoSet: http://www.goldwinggadgets.com/GL1800_2730_older.htm

Edsets Mic Cable for making and receiving calls: http://www.edsets.com/micsplitter?category_id=74

This is MY personal choice. Enjoy and have fun!

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
:agree:

That 2820 bundle is a great deal with all the functions and a very attractive price.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Talked to a Garmin guy today when out riding. He said that there is a new Nuvi model out for MC. It's waterproof and I thought he said touch screen. Not sure about that. Anyone know about it.... Cheers...:doorag:

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I checked the garmin site, and the Streetpilot 2820 and 2730 are discontinued.

If you can get a good deal on a refurbed one, might be worth considering. The zumo is a touch screen unit. Surprised that the 550 hasn't come down much yet, I guess the 660 is still hard to come by.

·
Registered
9,113 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I ordered the Zumo 660 on 3/13/09 and they have just started shipping them. I got mine last Friday 4/24/09 It was 639.00 thru the AMA membership and you get roadside service to boot for joining AMA
I dont have it fully installed on the bike yet but have tried it out in the car and work van and like it

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have a Streetpilot 7200 mounted on my '06 NAV bike and a Streetpilot 2820 on my other bike.

V

·
0 Posts
I ended up going with a 2720 and use a ram mount on the clutch side. I decided to use XM seperately. I bought mine on Ebay for 112.00 shipped from bobwv203. They are listed as refurbished but the two I have bought were in new condition and have the same warranty. I actually think they are new. If you JUST want route planning this is the cheapest way to go. If you want moe bells and whistles look at getfeetwet.com as other posted. Here is a different seller on Ebay but I have not bought from them. http://cgi.ebay.com/GARMIN-STREETPILOT-2720-AUTO-GPS-VOICE-REMOTE-TALKING_W0QQitemZ190303758730QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGPS_Devices?hash=item2c4efce98a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
the Garmin 885T is supposed to show NexRad

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Looks like there are a number of Garmin Nuvi's that will support Doppler Weather through MSN Direct. Not too bad or $50/yr or $130 for a lifetime subscription.

More info here: http://www.msndirect.com/data-compatibility.aspx

The sad part is the 885T and the new Zumo 660 are almost identical, yet the Zumo 660 doesn't support the Doppler feature through MSN. On top of that, none of the Nuvi's that support Doppler are waterproof.

What can't Garmin create a great all in one unit? Motorcycle friendly, XM, MP3, Bluetooth, Doppler, touchscreen and waterproof. :?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hey, BikerTrash......I have the Garmin Street Pilot 2820 Bluetooth. Use it on the 'Wing and in the 18 wheeler. The 2820 is waterproof, has great capabilities, and Garmin support is hard to beat. If you can find some still in stock, maybe getfeetwet.com, or even a refurb wouldn't be bad. Hafta use a little common sense in the 18 wheeler though. It doesn't acknowledge low weight limit roads and bridges. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if mine was ripped off.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
I've been without "waterproof" since day 1 (old iPAQ)
... never been a hugh problem for me,
I just pop it off and put it in the side pocket.

Re the 885T
... between the NexRad, Voice Recognition,
lane guidance, and input for an external video source,
I think it would be a good combo unit for the
bike and truck towing the 5th wheel.
(if I can get a camera on the rear of the 5th wheel
to push the signal that far.)
Price is ok at under $500 ...
... and NexRad for about $50 a year?
... that's the cheapest I've seen.

anyone else got one?

Dennis

Looks like there are a number of Garmin Nuvi's that will support Doppler Weather through MSN Direct. Not too bad or $50/yr or $130 for a lifetime subscription.

More info here: http://www.msndirect.com/data-compatibility.aspx

The sad part is the 885T and the new Zumo 660 are almost identical, yet the Zumo 660 doesn't support the Doppler feature through MSN. On top of that, none of the Nuvi's that support Doppler are waterproof.
What can't Garmin create a great all in one unit? Motorcycle friendly, XM, MP3, Bluetooth, Doppler, touchscreen and waterproof. :?

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Don't confuse the weather provided in the MSN Direct package with the XM Nexrad weather radar. The MSN Direct service is only available in certain major cities and once you get out of these coverage areas, you get no data.

The 885T does not provide Nexrad weather radar data unless you are in one of the major cities in the current coverage area:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Probably because it is easier to listen to some rocket scientist in their market department than to listen to the demands of their customers.

You know we don't know what's good for us; they do! :coffee1:

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Don't confuse the weather provided in the MSN Direct package with the XM Nexrad weather radar. The MSN Direct service is only available in certain major cities and once you get out of these coverage areas, you get no data.

The 885T does not provide Nexrad weather radar data.
Ah ha! Didn't see that Jon. Thanks for the heads up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts