GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy my first ever GPS for a motorcycle, and not much experience with them in cars either. Trying to narrow down the candidates. Looking at Tom Tom 550, or V5 5th Edition. Also looking at Zumo 660 or 665. I don't really need a lot of extras, i.e. XM radio, but would like to make a one time purchase, instead of later having to add options or accessories.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
goldwing

Look at a Garmin 2797LMT. 7 inch screen with voice activation. The large screen allows you to glance quickly and see instructions easier. It's an older unit that I believe is discontinued but has the features I need.

The voice activation does not work on the bike, too much wind noise. Several years ago a guy named Greg Rice modified one to work with the factory wired headset and mic.. Here's the link.

http://www.gregrice.com/2012v2/2797/garmin2797.html

I have two of them and use them in my car, truck and motorcycle.

Bought both of them used. They work great!

Rayjoe

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the 2797 waterproof?
Thanks

·
Registered
880 Posts
No. Garmin Zumo models are for motorcycles and are water resistant/proof. Not sure if Garmin states waterproof or water resistant.The current models are the zumo 395 and 595. I can attest to the fact that the 595 will handle a lot of rain.

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
Looking to buy my first ever GPS for a motorcycle, and not much experience with them in cars either. Trying to narrow down the candidates. Looking at Tom Tom 550, or V5 5th Edition. Also looking at Zumo 660 or 665. I don't really need a lot of extras, i.e. XM radio, but would like to make a one time purchase, instead of later having to add options or accessories.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Hi Joe. I don't know about other GPS units. But I've used a Garmin Zumo 660 for many years now, and it's been great for my needs. As well as standard GPS function, I use it for Bluetooth connection to my cell, and also music. I rarely use my cell while riding, except to maybe make a hotel reservation as I'm nearing the end of the day on an overnight trip. (I can do this through the hotel POI's on the Garmin.) Or communicating something like ETA with others I'm meeting. I listen to music often, downloaded onto a mini SD card inserted into the Zumo. The Garmin mapping software Basecamp or MapSource more than meets my needs for creating routes. Which can be emailed to other Garmin users for them to upload to their units. I use the unit in my car also.

Probably the newer Garmin Zumo (595 I think) has more bells & whistles. But I've been happy with my 660. (Which is discontinued). If I was just starting, I'd go with the Garmin Zumo 595. Which is rated #1 motorcycle GPS at https://bestmotorcyclelife.com/ and https://www.outsidepursuits.com/best-motorcycle-gps/ and https://theeliteproduct.com/12-best-motorcycle-gps-reviews-guide/

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have used Garmin devices since 2006 or so. Started with a 2820, then a 550 and then the 665. I have not used the Tom-Tom device so I don't have any information on it.

I purchased a Zumo 660 a few years back to act as back up for my long road trips. I did not want to get stranded on the road with just my paper maps and don't like using a Cellphone for navigation. Since it fits the same mount as my 665 it was the only real choice I had unless I wanted another 665.

The Zumo 390 and 590 are the current versions of Garmin products for sale., however you can get a 660 on eBay if you wish.

There was a Zumo users forum but it sort of when out of business and was replaced by a Zumo Users forum out of the UK. You can review information on the various Garmin products there from a wide variety of users.

https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk

There is one more option, its called Chinavision. I am not recommending it, just letting you know it does exist. There are several threads on the STForum regarding the units. https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/setting-up-a-chinavasion-5-gen2-gps.146980/

I am very happy with my Garmin 660 and, if you don't need the latest Garmin products, that is the unit I would recommend. Mine is mounted on my left handle bar as you can see in the attached picture. There are several on eBay right now.

If you are concerned about making repairs to an older unit like a used 660, there is gentlemen that does that sort of repair for a very reasonable price. Its http://www.palmdr.com

I have used him to repair my 550 and the price was good and the repair has held up.

Once you get a GPS, while you can program routes directly on the GPS, there are computer programs that you can use to program routes and download them to your GPS. The Zumo forum also discusses their use.

Garmin also offers lifetime map updates for their devices. My 550 and 665 still get map updates after I initially purchased the lifetime subscription. To update the maps you will need to add Garmin Express to your computer. Until recently I have never had a problem with their map updates but the first one last year (2019.10 I think and yes the year is off but thats the way Garmin puts them out.) caused some issues. It was quickly corrected but, just an FYI that there is a potential for problems. The Zumo Forum also has feedback on this type of issue.

Attachments

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
Reactions: lgjhn

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Is the 2797 waterproof?
Thanks
Not to my knowledge. I do not ride in the rain unless caught. I would probably just disconnect the GPS and put it in the trunk. Other guys have put plastic bags over them and rode on.

I forgot to mention it's Bluetooth compatible. It has a lot more features than I'm listing here. It really is nice in a car. You can use voice commands to control lots of features.

Love that big screen!

Rayjoe

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
Just bring a ziplock bag with you. Instant water proofing.:smile2:
Even though the Zumo 660 is waterproof, that's what I've done for years. Why not? It's cheap insurance.

I would probably just disconnect the GPS and put it in the trunk.
I'd be concerned about the GPS mount getting wet.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
129E8B7A-0EA1-4D8F-8B8E-C84CEB96C214.jpg

I’m still able to make my old 2757 non-waterproof gps w/lifetime maps work. I have gotten creative when it comes to rain, by grabbing a zip-lok bag from the left rear cubby and slipping it over the running GPS.

If I am to replace it, it will be the biggest screen zumo made at the time. I need all the help I can get with eyesite, and big screens are a godsend. I’ve seen static-cling cheater lenses for regular sun glasses put on the helmet shield before, that would help with smaller models too, maybe.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I used a Garmin 765T for a number of years (with the optional zip-lock waterproofing accessory) until my wife and son bought me a Zumo 590 about 3 years ago. The Zumo works great and since it’s waterproof I no longer need the zip-lock bags. I’ve been in some very heavy rain storms with it and never had an issue.

·
Registered
774 Posts
If you like backroads TomTom 550 is far better than Garmin. Online route planner is the best however you can simply say go here and select fastest, no interstates or winding roads and it creates a route. I have used Garmin since 2003 and now the far better TomTom 550

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
If your bike is equipped with it, then why not use the factory GPS first, before buying a unit ? I always liked mine and felt it did a great job. I think that a lot of it is a matter of what your use too, which made it hard for some people to adjust to the GW version after using others.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Hi Joe. I don't know about other GPS units. But I've used a Garmin Zumo 660 for many years now, and it's been great for my needs. As well as standard GPS function, I use it for Bluetooth connection to my cell, and also music. I rarely use my cell while riding, except to maybe make a hotel reservation as I'm nearing the end of the day on an overnight trip. (I can do this through the hotel POI's on the Garmin.) Or communicating something like ETA with others I'm meeting. I listen to music often, downloaded onto a mini SD card inserted into the Zumo. The Garmin mapping software Basecamp or MapSource more than meets my needs for creating routes. Which can be emailed to other Garmin users for them to upload to their units. I use the unit in my car also.

Probably the newer Garmin Zumo (595 I think) has more bells & whistles. But I've been happy with my 660. (Which is discontinued). If I was just starting, I'd go with the Garmin Zumo 595. Which is rated #1 motorcycle GPS at https://bestmotorcyclelife.com/ and https://www.outsidepursuits.com/best-motorcycle-gps/ and https://theeliteproduct.com/12-best-motorcycle-gps-reviews-guide/
Ditto

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have the Tom Tom Rider. It was especially designed for motorcycles. My cell phone connects to it and phone calls received or made are easily done on the screen. The only negative is you have to Bluetooth it to whatever. So, I have it connected to my Sena 20S. I also have the Sena Freewire for all bike audio outputs and also connects to the 20S. I use to use a Ram Mount for the Tom Tom but recently purchased the EZ-GPS Mount which is great. It fits over the Windshield Vent with out making holes, etc. This puts the GPS centered in my line of vision. At first, I thought it sat a bit high although ok. So, I bought an aluminum strip from Lowe's, cut a couple 2 1/2 inch strips, drilled the proper size holes at each end and attached the GPS mount bracket to lower the GPS enough where I can still full see the Speedometer but give more windshield view for those close up parking views.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Hey Joe.....I see you have a 2008 Wing. I don’t believe it has a TPMS.
I use a Garmin Zumo 395.....it has TPMS built in......you have to buy the sensors to make it work....but it works pretty well and the batteries are replaceable
It’s nice to be able to check your tire pressure without laying on your side with a gauge in hand. It will alarm if pressure is lost

1 - 20 of 42 Posts