GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I don't know about a GPS will fill volumes! I'm wanting to get one for the basic stuff. I don't need all the bells and whistles, and I don't want to spend BIG $$$$ for one either. Ideally I want something the wife can work with while on the back of the bike, and can easily stow in her coat or in the pouch. We run a GPS called a MAP and have covered the entire US many times with no problems. You GPS experts give me some ideas of what I should look in to. 2720, NUVI 260W, or what? I gues I'm wanting a general GPS with POI, eateries, hotels, and so on.

Thanks,

Bash.

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
MAP = Mobile Atlas Program?? :joke:

Bash, do you remember the 2820 I have on mine? Simple, easy to use, able to upload from a computer (a must have), tunes, and blue tooth. A Zumo is the best, but I am really happy with mine, and now you can get them at refurbed prices. Good luck with what you decide.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Sir,
We recently were in the same basket with you. I've never gotten lost since I've been born. If I were out at sea, that might be different but, here on land and where we've been, a maps done quite well. Anyway, we thought we'd get one just to learn about them and play with it to see if it has any real value. So, being cheap minded as we both are, we're off to Costco.

We got the Garmin 260W and so far, it's cool little toy. It does have some bells and whistles that I don't and never will need like picture viewing. It doesn't have a couple of items I'd like to have in a GPS and that's the option to load routes that have been plotted by someone else or, I did myself. It has no communication port to tie into the Wings audio system so, hearing it tell me to turn here or there is pretty much out the window. But, it's got a pretty bright little screen with highlighted routes so, when we've programmed it for a particular route, street-wise, it's pretty easy to follow even in pretty bright daylight.

It was $169.00 but, you use the store coupon and it drops it to $149.00 and it's got a lot of "POIs", that is, points of interest like, gas stations, hospitals, FOOD, and others. All in all, it's a good starting point and learning tool to see what if any, I'll look for in the next model, when ever that situation comes about. Good luck and ride safe but, ride.
Scott

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Lot of good GPS units out there,I would make sure it's water proof...I have had a Garmin 2820 for several years now and really like the unit...
I use it on my motorcycle,also in my vehicles for work :thumbup:

·
Registered
855 Posts
Garmin Zumos have internal batteries so you can carry wih you on foot. Lots and lots of POIs. 6 million they say. You might find some good deals now that the new model is out. I had a 450 and for basic GPS stuff it was superb. The built in battery is really handy and charges as you ride so it's always ready for use off the bike. Pretty slick!
The refurbished units are a great buy. Just Google "refurbished GPS".

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Fire up.. costco is a great place to buy a gps.. GPS units are known to have a dud or two now and then and Costco backs them like no one else. My zumo died and I returned it today-- no questions asked. Then I ordered the nuvi 855 for 300 on sale through costco online. If it dies 18 months from now or 2 years its covered. Can it get any better.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Do a search for Garmin 2720 on ebay, there's a company that's selling refurbished 2720s with up to date maps and a 1 year warranty for around $115 including shipping. I bought one for the SO, it's a great GPS (no MP3 or XM) at a price that won't break the bank.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Garmin's Nuvi 255W is what I use in the cage. It fits easily in a pocket. It has the "where am I" feature which is really nice. Shows nearest hospitals, gas and police. I think I paid 150 for it new this year. For the bike I just got the Zumo 660 in and hope to have it mounted this afternoon, replacing my 2720.

·
Registered
858 Posts
MAP = Mobile Atlas Program?? :joke:

Bash, do you remember the 2820 I have on mine? Simple, easy to use, able to upload from a computer (a must have), tunes, and blue tooth. A Zumo is the best, but I am really happy with mine, and now you can get them at refurbed prices. Good luck with what you decide.
+1...Love my 2820, does a lot for $230!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a question about gps units. Do you have to pay for map updates etc? I currently use my vz navigator in my cell phone and it works pretty good. Theres a 10.00 monthly fee for it, which makes me consider buying a gps unit, unless theres costs for that too.

·
Registered
632 Posts
According to three people at Gamin customer support:

All firmware and voice updates are free.

If you buy a NEW Garmin, you are entitled to a free map upgrade to the latest version. After that you must pay for them. There is a lifetime update and a per year update charge if you choose.

Maps are updated four times a year.

If you buy a REFURBISHED unit, you still get free firmware and voice updates but map updates are not free. You must pay for them.

My new Streetpilot SP7200 and Streetpilot 2820 were bought new and I received a free upgrade to the 2010 maps. However, a friend of mine bought a refurbished 2820 unit and he was not entitled to the free upgrade. He had to pay for it.

There is no monthly fee. I do not know about manufacturers product pricing.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I have no clue but I did borrow my daughter's friend's Zumo 550 for a quick run to the Smoky Mtns. It never missed a thing, did everything I wanted and got me right to the front door of every place I wanted to go down there. I think it or the 660 is one I would look at carefully.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
the nuvi 500-550 is weather proof, its 4.3 inch screen is decent sized, and its in the $250 range

a very decent alternative to the high buck ones

almost all nuvi versions are not waterproof.......keep that in mind

also note, there are lots of 2720, 2730 refurbs out there

smaller screen , but still functional

stay away from any hard drive models for sure

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
My first GPS was a Garmin Quest. Waterproof, battery operated, clear screen and pocket sized. Held enough map data to cover Nevada, Utah, part of Colorado and Arizona and most of California. It was just a basic, good GPs which worked VERY well.

After it got stolen, I bought a Garmin Nuvi for my wife.

Now I'm thinking of picking up a GPS for me again. The geeky side of me wants realtime weather radar, bluetooth cell phone integration, etc, etc.

Honestly, I'll probably just pick up another Quest. You can get factory refurbs on eBay for under $100 for the Quest and about $115 for the Quest 2 (preloaded with all the maps.)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Garmin 2820

For $199 new, the Garmin 2820 has to be the best buy...hands down.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What about the Nuvi 205W? Wally World for $189? Anybody?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Simple and inexpensive Tom-Tom One
:agree:

Once I tried the TomTom I dumped my Garmin. I have 2 and the TomTom One V3 is what goes on the bike. My 910 is used in the car and when I travel to Europe since it came with both N.America and European maps.

I picked the One unit up for $125 last year at RadioShack on black Friday, best $125 GPS on the planet. You can pick up refurbs for less than the price of a new map on http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?s=A-StorePrice-RSK&categoryId=3158547&pg=1&searchSort=TRUE&retainProdsInSession=1&x=4&y=11

The RAM base is $8 and it's powered with a USB cord that goes to a 2 port USB adapter in the left pocket that is also powering my iPhone (for music via AUX).

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Bash,

I think you will find the Nuvi 205W is not a waterproof unit...almost a necessity when installed on a motorcycle

I just today purchased a Garmin 2720 (newly refurbished by Garmin) on Ebay for $112 with free shipping...I wasn't interested in the bluetooth; lane choice announcements; mp3 music; and other electronic capabilities of the higher dollar units.

Allen Serviss Vernon, Vt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts