GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had it all to do again, which heated grips would you get and why?
I want to add heated grips to my 03, and I'm looking at the Honda OEM's or get the EC kit with new Iso grips. Pro's and Con's of each? Ease of instalation?

TIA
Steve

·
Registered
567 Posts
I'm sold on my EC grip heaters. They do what they say, as a matter of fact they get hot enough that it softens the adhesive and I have to be aware of the fact that they will rotate............it'll be easy to get 'em off when the time comes, though!

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
Steve -

I went with the E/C heated grips......about $200.00 less than Hondaline :shock:

Installation was easy.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
EC and Isogrips here.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
EC for me.

The price was right and they work very well. Why pay more.
I put mine on and then re installed the stock grips.
Warm hands are happy hands.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I bought the Honda grips early in 2001 when I took delivery of the bike, so the grips were sold significantly below retail, but still expensive. They work in keeping my fingers warm, and the system has not caused me any problems in six years of ownership.

I installed them myself; the installation is straightforward. I would probably buy them again, simply because if I have a personal positive experience, I don't shop around later.

·
Registered
824 Posts
EC all the way.... I had OEM on the bike when I got it but they were to narrow... I like the EC's under the grip of my choice... In my case I too have the ISO grips...

Melissa

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
EC w/ ISO grips... Didn't like the supplied switch so just wired the "high" elements to a single switch.. Never used the "low" setting with the ISOs...

·
Registered
628 Posts
I bought the Honda brand but only because of an extreme bargain on E-Bay. I don't know if I would pay them full price for a set of them, but they work great!! They will get so hot that you can't hold them with your bare hands. The install wasn't too bad except for having to remove the shelter but I saved my air filter change for the same time. My only complaint is that the control should have been illuminated for the huge price. All in all, though, I am very happy with them.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
EC and stock grips here. Would definitely do it again.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I bought Hondaline so I had the thermostat control, on the 2001 bike and transfered them over from the totaled 01 to the 04.

They work well as has been posted above.

Have no experience with the EC units and do not know if they have thermostats or what.

Do know that Lewis is a good guy, though. :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have the Honda Line heated grips. I like the many temp settings. I think EC grips only have lo and hi, if lo isn't hot enough and hi is to hot what do you do? With Honda grips you have your choice of temps and can find one that for you. I also think the temp control looks so much better than the pep boys style switches that come with the EC grips. Just my opinion.
Pap

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
I went with the Dual Star and Iso grips.

I also went with the controler as opposed to the Hi /Lo setup.

·
Registered
20,952 Posts
just Hi-off-Lo switch works fine for me, about the only time i use Hi is when my hands get cold at a fuel stop, then i switch to Hi for about 10 minutes untill my hands are nice and warm again

if money was no object i would go for the Honda heated grips but for me money is a big object

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
EC DualStar kit under Drag Specialties foam grips for me.

Heattroller variable controller mounted under the RH ram base gives me full adjustable control. During the winter, I have them on all the time and still ride with my lightweight gloves.

·
Registered
756 Posts
EC under Grip-Tek foam slip ons. I stuck the EC heating units right over the factory OEM grips. No problems as yet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm probably not the handiest guy on the Board. How bad is the EC installation and where is the best place to find a variable control instead of the switch? Thanks for the help.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
7thwing said:
I'm probably not the handiest guy on the Board. How bad is the EC installation and where is the best place to find a variable control instead of the switch? Thanks for the help.
Installation is pretty straight forward. You will have to pull the meter panel and the wire covers along the bottom of the handlebars. You also will need to pull the right panel (with the lock) in the top shelter, just where your right knee would hit.

You can get a variable controller from here

1 - 19 of 19 Posts