GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that not everyone here reads Wing World but I was reading mine today and there was a article on safety procedures.

In the article it stated the best thing to do when stopping at a light was to have transmission disengaged, left foot on ground, right foot on brake with hands covering levers.

I agree except for having transmission disengaged. I have always been told have transmission in first and clutch disengaged, watching rear view mirrors for quick get-a-way if needed.

What are your feelings?

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I always have the trasmission in gear with the clutch disengaged. I probably most frequently have both feet on the ground with the hand (front) brake on.

I think it is important to have the bike in grear in case it becomes necessary to get the hell out of the way if necessary.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Verdayne aka Wingnut said:
When at a stop light, I always have both feet on the ground. The tranny's in 1st, with clutch & brake levers pulled in.
Rickster said:
I always have the trasmission in gear with the clutch disengaged. I probably most frequently have both feet on the ground with the hand (front) brake on.

I think it is important to have the bike in grear in case it becomes necessary to get the hell out of the way if necessary.
+1

Also, unless I have a cage or two behind me "covering my 6," I will periodically release and reapply the front brakes just to keep my lights going. Might not do much good, but it makes me feel better while I keep a roving eye out.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
If I am alone or two up , I do it differently.

Alone , the left foot is down , right foot on / near the brake pedal.

Two up , I have both feet down, right hand on brake lever

During either of the above actions..... the tranny is in 1st gear.

:sparkplug:

·
Registered
626 Posts
I think that in gear with the clucth disengaged is what he meant.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
66plus said:
I know that not everyone here reads Wing World but I was reading mine today and there was a article on safety procedures.

In the article it stated the best thing to do when stopping at a light was to have transmission disengaged, left foot on ground, right foot on brake with hands covering levers.

I agree except for having transmission disengaged. I have always been told have transmission in first and clutch disengaged, watching rear view mirrors for quick get-a-way if needed.

What are your feelings?
I don't read Wing World and would cancel my subscription if they gave out that kind of lame advice. #1. Never shift the bike into neutral when coming to or at a stop sign or signal light. That little bit of time it takes to decide and put it into gear could make all the difference between having or not having an accident. #2. Although I do this occassionally I would not recommend it. Balancing on your left foot alone makes it easier to lose your balance and dump the bike (if you followed they're first tip about being in neutral to stop) it would put you totally in the wrong position to shift it into gear when you pulled away. My best method I recommend for you when coming to a stop is: Downshift sequencially until your are in first gear sometimes enginebraking depending on speed and or conditions while using the front lever and rear pedal similtaneously to brake. Just before stopping put down both feet and finish stop with front brake lever alone then hold it until your ready to take off. Terry

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
That's ditto for me too Arn Butt.
In the MCC instructors tell you to put the left foot down only, right foot on the rear brake and in 1st gear, ready to go.

Shadow1
Hal

·
Registered
455 Posts
I come to a stop using the front brake, tranny in neutral, place my right foot down, keep the levers covered, and watch the mirrors.
I can get into gear as fast as I can twist the throttle to get out of trouble.
Oh, by the way, make sure you leave enough room between you and the car ahead to manuever around if the need arises.
Try not to bump the car ahead of you with your front tire just because they fail to advance entering a traffic circle and because you anticipated they were going to go and didn't. Oh, thats another story. :oops:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Normally I stop with bike in 1st, both feet down and pump hand brake if cars are still approaching from rear.

BUT

A couple of weeks ago I was waiting to make a left at a ‘left turn goes first’ light. For some reason, maybe an itch, I just don’t remember, I put the bike in neutral and took my hands off the bars. The green arrow came on and I quickly grabbed the clutch and put it in first. About that time, a car to my left in the closest lane to me ran the red light.

Normally I look both ways, making sure traffic is stopping before proceeding. Would that have been the time I didn’t look??? I don’t know. I’m not a religious man, but I believe HE was watching over me that day.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
The police (at least in this area) teach coming to a s top with the right foot remaining up on the footpeg, covering the rear brake lever. It makes for a quicker start from a stop.

Personally, I gradually gear down to 1st, when coming to a stop, using both front and rear brakes, and extend my left foot the last few feet, touching down just as the bike comes to a stop. I leave the tranny in 1st gear unless it's necessary to do something with both hands while stopped. When stoppping, I use the rear brake, the last few feet, in case there is sand in the intersection. Lots of sand and gravel trucks in this area. I normally put both feet on the ground while stopped. It just seems more stable that way. And I wait a second before proceeding when the light turns green, just in case some dolt does run the red light, as mentioned above.

·
Registered
19,065 Posts
Verdayne aka Wingnut said:
When at a stop light, I always have both feet on the ground. The tranny's in 1st, with clutch & brake levers pulled in.
Ditto unless the car behind me has already stopped and there is a long wait or a train coming etc...

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Do whatever you want. I do all the things mentioned depending on traffic conditions, surface conditions, whether I'm stopping on a hill, how much drinking is going on (holidays, late at night), etc. The best advice in this thread was about leaving an out. I see people pull up close to the stopped car ahead and negate any little gear tricks they might have in mind.

I say don't get locked in to any habit. Remain flexible and aware of your surroundings. But that's just me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts