GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friends 2001 Wing sputtered and died in the Oklahoma Panhandle. It shows trouble code # 16. I have found here that is injector trouble on cylinder # 5.

Bike won't run, had to trailer it home. If only 1 injector is bad shouldn't it run on the other 5?

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Back right is number 5.

Maybe, but why would you want to take that chance? You did the right thing by trailering it home. Could be the injector, could be the ECM. Hard to say.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My understanding is that it will run with a bad injector until you turn it off.. Then it won't start again until its fixed.

Bill

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My understanding is that it will run with a bad injector until you turn it off.. Then it won't start again until its fixed.

Bill
He was running about 65 mph, it sputtered and died. Wouldn't restart. Blink code says 16.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,593 Posts
There is a test for the injector, if it and the wiring checks out, then it's the ECM. Usually a bad injector won't cause the ECM to shut it down, but it will keep it from starting if the code is in memory. It dying like that, makes me think it's going to be the ECM. The injectors are fed power from one branch of the power that comes from the fuel injection/ignition relay and feeds power to the fuel pump relay. You can test the injector by unplugging the ECM harness connector and the fuel pump's relay and ohming out the wiring and the injector's coil resistance from the ECM connector's pin to the fuel pump relay's connection on the brown wire. Normal injector resistance is stated as 11.1 - 12.3 ohms @ 68F. The wiring will add a little ressistance to that. This would be the easiest way to check it. the other way is to remove a bunch of stuff to get to the injector's connector down at the fuel rail. If you check it from the ECM's connector's pin and the relay and it measures a little out of whack, compare it to another one that isn't throwing a code. Here is the wiring for the injectors and the ECM's connector, power is on the brown wires and the ECM grounds the injector to energize it and turn on the fuel:

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
These guys are trying to complicate things. With my vast experience in mechanics I'd guess no. 5 is in there between 4 and 6. Just trying to help here.:tools1::sparkplug:

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 02 just had the similar problem on #6 cylinder and they replaced the fuel injector assembly.

Same question...why shut the bike down if you lose a cylinder? I heard Honda does that to avoid an emission problem?? Really? Don't quite buy into the theory that's its better to leave a rider stranded on the road, than putt home with your emissions out of compliance? I hope that's bullshot.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,593 Posts
It's not supposed to kill the engine if it's already running, because Honda wants it to at least let you limp home. It's only supposed to keep it from restarting in case the injector is stuck open. This would cause the associated cylinder to flood with gas and possibly cause damage to that cylinder or head. That's why I'm thinking this could be a bad ECM, but only testing will tell.

Well, forget all of that! I was just poking around in the service manual and came across this:

"FAIL-SAFE FUNCTION
The PGM-FI system is provided with a fail-safe function to secure a minimum running capability even when there is trouble
in the system. When any abnormality is detected by the self-diagnosis function, running capability is maintained by using
pre-programed values in the simulated program map. When any abnormality is detected in the injector(s), crankshaft position
(CKP) sensor and/or camshaft position (CMP) sensor, the fail-safe function stops the engine to protect it from damage."

So, the ECM can shut it down, even if it's running, if one of those sensors is showing a failure. See, even old farts like me learn something every now and then.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hey Techdude,

I learned something today too... I learned you're an "old fart", you said so yourself?...:lol:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,593 Posts
Thanks for all the replys.

Where is the ECM and how do we test it?
You can't really test the ECM, you have to just replace it with a known good one. To test the resistance of the injectors and wiring you have to pull off the meter panel and shelter to get to the ECM and it's connectors. Here's a good set of pictures and directions from Fred Harmon's web page.
http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/airfilter Thankyou Fred!

The ECM sets right in front of the gas tank with the 2 connectors on the left side of it that you can see in a couple of the pictures about half way thru the airfilter change. NOTE: Keep track of where each shelter screw comes from because they are different lengths.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again! ....This is very helpful.

This is a buddies 2001 with only 25,000 miles on it.

I have changed the air filter on mine (2007), so I have a little bit of knowledge on taking it apart, but I like to know as much as possible BEFORE I start working on something.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,593 Posts
You're welcome. Keep in mind the 01's meter panel comes off alot easier than your 07's. Let me know if I can help with measuring the resistance when you get it all apart. :thumbup:

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
These guys are trying to complicate things. With my vast experience in mechanics I'd guess no. 5 is in there between 4 and 6. Just trying to help here.:tools1::sparkplug:
Take your meds and the hallucinations should stop:eek:

Close, but 4 and 6 are on the left side of the engine and 5 is on the right.
Which would put it right between 4 and 6 as stated:thumbup::joke:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know it sounds like folks are pointing him toward the ECM but early on he was talking about it might be a bad injector on #5 cylinder. Correct me if I'm wrong but the GL1800 doesn't have individual injectors for each cylinder does it? I think it has 2 main injectors that are attached to a throttle body. Am I wrong on that?

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
6 required at a cost of $102 ea. from our board sponsor.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts