GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Regarding rear suspension's ride quality, smoothness and generally ability to absorb road damage. Which is better? The new Gen6 2018-21 or the previous Gen5 2001-17 ?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Easy. Traxxion Dynamics! Was on my ‘08, will be on my ‘18.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the rears are similar. I think the ride mode adjustability on the gen 6 is handler.

The front on the Gen 6 is a game changer in my opinion. Just superior for a smooth ride for my relaxed riding style.

If you want to go racing I can‘t advise.
I'm just concerned about the rear suspension comfort. The gen6 front is obviously better.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
The rear suspension is the same on both models…….
The way they are activated are different…….you had more control on the 1st gen, rather than presets on the 2nd gen.

Front suspension is night/day better on 2018+

·
Registered
257 Posts
The front suspension is smooth up until you hit that first pot hole.
What happens next is Shocking! 😳

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Wind protection is better on gen 5. Ride is better on gen 6.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have never ridden a 2018+, but I believe others when they say the front is superior. I can tell you that the front end ride and handling on my 2016 is significantly better with Traxxion fork springs compared to stock. I would love to try a 2018+ to see if the stock front end is better than my set up.

·
Premium Member
19,799 Posts
Tough question. Overall the 18+ handles bumps smoother out of the box. Both generations can be made to soak em up though

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Both fresh out of the box (as it were)..... 2001-2017's are better until the springs start collapsing; front go long before the rear, but both give out eventually. My 2018 was OK on the little stuff, but just horrible with bigger more pronounced bumps sometimes being launched off the road.

After both get "traxxionized" front and rear....... That gets to be a tougher call; except the deciding factor is in twisties with bumps. Getting the suspension under control on the 2018 really starts letting that front end shine for getting rid of the traditional telescoping front fork..

1 - 20 of 71 Posts