GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading west this July,and i will be packing light 2 up.Was wondering what type of jacket would be preferred.My thinking is that it will be very hot in lowlands but at higher elevations at glacier and rocky Mt's. it will be much cooler,not sure whether to take textile or mesh.Also if it gets too hot i was thinking about putting 2 jackets above rack bag and securing with one of those web type of bungees.I know that i should wear jackets at all times but sometimes i like to ride in a t shirt.No good way of folding jackets tightly with armour etc, a trailer is not an option.Don't want to pi** anyone off but i just don't seem to think I could get into the idea of pulling a trailer,old school i guess,but i probably should not knock it until i try it though.

·
Registered
563 Posts
weather is very funny out that way, if I had room for only one jacket it would be a cold weather jacket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
lots to think of for that type of trip. we did ks. co. ut. nv. az. nm. last sept early. 41 deg on monarch pass and 97 north of grand canyon. medium weight jacket can get you by in july but dont forget a long sleeve shirt for the sun. we used columbia omni shade and they really work. uv protection and they actually keep you cool. good luck and enjoy the trip.:yes1:

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I think it's hard to pack light when traveling in the west during the summer. Chilly mornings, hot daytime temps and always the threat of afternoon thunder storms.

A mesh jacket with a WARM H2O proof liner might be the ticket.

·
Love The DCT
11,795 Posts
Heading west this July,and i will be packing light 2 up.Was wondering what type of jacket would be preferred.My thinking is that it will be very hot in lowlands but at higher elevations at glacier and rocky Mt's. it will be much cooler,not sure whether to take textile or mesh.Also if it gets too hot i was thinking about putting 2 jackets above rack bag and securing with one of those web type of bungees.I know that i should wear jackets at all times but sometimes i like to ride in a t shirt.No good way of folding jackets tightly with armour etc, a trailer is not an option.Don't want to pi** anyone off but i just don't seem to think I could get into the idea of pulling a trailer,old school i guess,but i probably should not knock it until i try it though.

Scorpion XDR commander jacket. It has two removable liners, a waterproof one and a thermoliner.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Joe ROcket Super Tour Goldwing jacket can convert from a very warm jacket with liner, to a cool jacket w/o liner, to a mesh jacket with zip out areas for hot weather.

Its a bit pricy, but essentially 3 jackets in one. Also has cool GL logos!

I got it form Hal.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I have an Olympia mesh and always take it along with the liner. The liner can be used as a free standing jacket, and easily slides into the mesh. The liners folds small so it's easy to store, but light weight and pretty much waterproof. I would be uncomfortably hot wearing a non mesh textile jacket, but to each his own:lol:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
First Gear Kilimanjaroo is the way to go. With the liner in and all buttoned up works down into the 30's and with the liner out and the vents open it works well into the upper 80's. Plus it offers protection in the event of a fall. Also it is waterproof if properly buttoned up. Yes that can be hot if the temps are in the 80's+.

You can find the older ones on sale for cheap prices. I just got a new one at a great price, but if I were you I would look for a price on the 4.0

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I always have a semi waterproof fleece lined jacket on those trips, if it gets too cold I just put my rain jacket on over it,same for the pants, that rain suit is not just for rain, works for me and not much bulk, has worked at tempuratures below 34 degrees.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Leather is out since you will likely run into rain. However, it's still a good choice.
Textiles could be a good choice. Could be because if you choose wrong fabric and go down it is not a pleasent experience picking out melted polyester out of your tissues. With that said, serious LDR choose Aerostich products. But they can be a little hot when stuck in traffic. for other materials the thicker the fabric (denier) the stiffer it is. Reasearch your choices by web surfing textile jackets, lots of information!
Next up is layering and many other have written about this subject. With textile's being wethertite or rain resistant you won't need to pack raingear. I have, do and never use the stuff. It's getting trown on the rest of the heap in the corner of the garage. A good termal pull over will keep you warmer than just the zip out liner(s).
Add the fact you'll most likely find armor that's a good thing, just another layer.
Color, choose something that stands out. Around here there are many senior people driving around, like me, I might see you and I might not. That's why so many use the modulators.
Buying, see what Hal has and price shop. Let Hal know (or who you choose to buy from). Some institutions have price matching plus another 10%.
Finally, I bought a Tour Master, Transistion II, Yellow. Here in the south, Arkansas, it is comforatble in warm (when I have the liner out) and hot in below freezing riding 70mph (with liner and fleece pull over). It's dry. And I stick out like "Big Bird" as many have commented on this fact.

Freedom Rings,
Bobalou

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I like the textile jackets. And do have several of them. I got a new one last year made by Scorpion. It is a mesh outer shell, with armor in it and has a rain liner and a quilted liner for colder weather also. Liners are easy to roll up and store for when you need them. The mesh outer jacket is okay up to about 90 degrees, then you have to wear a cotton t-shirt or something and wet it down, leave the jacket unzipped 2/3 of the way. Lasts awhile, then time to wet it down again. Tried the cool vests, but in the high humidity we have in the south all they do is warm up to your body heat and keep you hot and humid, so a wet t-shirt works well. I think the cool vests would work better if they were vented, so air could flow through them. And the textile jackets are easy to keep clean, just throw them in the washing machine and let them drip dry, do not have to dry clean and in hot humid weather, keeping something you keep wetting down clean is a consideration. Mine are bright yellow too, for visibility, you can get them just about any color.

Kit

·
Registered
87 Posts
My wife and I both have the TourMaster Intake mesh jacket for warm riding, and I have the TM Transition textile jacket for cooler days. I absolutely love both of them. If I were to encounter the temperature extremes that you are expecting (and I will some day soon), I might consider the TM Flex Series 2 Jacket. This jacket seems like it might give you the advantages of both these other two great jackets. I would like to hear from anyone who actually has this jacket.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I live in Wyoming and have, over the years, seen snow in every month here. Be prepared for 30 degrees to 100 degrees. I have a Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 with a waterproof liner that is good to about 40 degrees with long sleeves underneath. I also have a rain suit that I have put over the top when it got colder and I wasn't close to home. It turns into a sweatbox after a while, but Im not cold!! Make sure you have heavy enough gloves and socks. The temps go down quickly out here when the sun goes down. Expect rain in the afternoons and in the mountains and be prepared to ride in high winds.

This is home for me but the riding can be challenging since the conditions change quickly.

Have a good trip:doorag:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Based on our experience my wife and i wear the mesh jackets and take some of silk thermal ski unerwear tops (that fold up real small) and a warm fleece to wear when it is colder. In the hot weather i personally find that wearing a short sleeve cotton button up shirt under the mesh is the coolest. You can even leave the buttons undone and the material is much cooler than a tee shirt and packs up smaller as well.

Weather is always the best guess.

Good riding

·
Registered
812 Posts
I have an Olympia mesh and always take it along with the liner. The liner can be used as a free standing jacket, and easily slides into the mesh. The liners folds small so it's easy to store, but light weight and pretty much waterproof. I would be uncomfortably hot wearing a non mesh textile jacket, but to each his own:lol:
This is the jacket I used last year on a trip from California to midwest and back again. It was all I needed for rain, wind, heat and cool mornings. I wore the jacket all the time and the liner was easy to pack.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was in Jackson Hole, WY on July 4th this past summer and rolled out of there around 7:00 am and it was 63 degrees as I rode up across Teton Pass into Idaho the temp at the summit was in the 20's. I took my Joe Rocket Phoenix w/liner and a Columbia Polar Fleece that packs down small when not wearing it and I was fine the whole trip. Out in the Rockies you could see snow in early July but then again after coming downout of the Tetons in Idaho it was 98 in Salt Lake City,UT the same day.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
This:
http://www.newenough.com/protective..._rocket/phoenix_5_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html

and this:
http://www.newenough.com/raingear/jackets_and_pants/tour_master/sentinel_motorcycle_rain_jacket.html

I have them both along with the Sentinel pants that I would wear over my BMW summer pants.

I also have a Killamanjaro that would stay home (I wouldn't wear it over 70).

The Joe Rocket Mesh even has a waterproof removeable liner and CE Armor which is why I got it.

Steve
+1 on the Tour Master Sentinel Rain Jacket if you are using a mesh jacket. My SO and I have used these through drizzle and downpour for hundreds of miles, and have stayed completely dry. My SO also puts hers on when she gets cold, and they warm her right up. They have the added advantage over the water-proof liners for mesh jackets in that they keep your mesh dry also. Before we bought these, I remember standing in a lobby after my SO and I rode through a deluge with the water just pouring out of our jackets. The proprieter was not amused, but we would not have had that problem if we had our Sentinel Rain Jackets at that time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts