GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I'm ready to order a spoiler but also want to put a luggage rack on in conjunction with the spoiler.

I've browsed the racks at Hal's but they often do not say if the rack installation is compatible with installation of a spoiler. I don't like the looks of the Kury rack - prefer simple and effective.

Which rack would you guys recommend to go along with a lighted spoiler?

Rick Bailey
Tuscaloosa, AL
04 Candy Red

G

·
0 Posts
I have the Big Bike rack and the lighted spoiler.....work well together.

Ron
:blw1:

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Personally, I do not recommend any rack for the GL 1800. I prefer the spoiler all by it's self.

Lots of controversy in another thread on here about the pros and cons of a rack. Functionality of a rack is severely limited.

But then again, it is all about taste, and if you like it, I love it on your bike.

Dawg

PS: I have a rack on my machine!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Here is what I have. It is patterned after the Kury, but a little different. I liked the extra rubber pads. It is made by the same company that makes the fork brace.

As you can see, the spoiler and luggage rack work together. I have almost 1" of space between them so cleaning is easy.

I usually don't put much weight on the rack (a small bag with rain gear). No problems yet. :?

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
The (worthless) Hondaline trunk rack was already on the bike when I bought it. It makes a nice handle for the trunk lid... but that's about all it does.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
that was an easy choice for me. the kury.

it looks great, very strong, and works with the spoiler

loren

·
Registered
584 Posts
Pilch,
Where DID you get the rack? And I really hate to be nosy, but do you mind me asking what it costs, (more or less)?
Thank you very much.
Steve

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
rack

The best rack for me was the one on top of my bushtec trailer.
The box lid is pretty thin, plus the rack makes the lid pretty heavy.
I left the rack off my 1800.
JD :biker: :yw1:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Truck Rack

I have the (worthless) Hondaline rack on my wing and have found it to be very worthwhile. We have a bag we carry on trips and are able to put our frogg toggs and a couple of towels in the bag.(along with other small, lightweight items) The bag can easily be net strapped to the rack and is light enough that the truck can be raised and left open with the bag on it. It doesn't overload the hinges or the trunk lid and yes, when we are not carrying a bag, it works great as a handle. I looked at numerous racks and found this one to suit my needs.. I just didn't want a rack large enough for a suitcase on the back that would very easy to over load. TD

·
Registered
379 Posts
Feel free to be as nosey as you want BLUE.
I'm happy to tell you what I can :chat:

I bought the luggage rack from my dealer, Ace Powersports (Kenosha, WI). It was priced about the same as the Kury rack, $ 195.00. I saw this rack in the Products Preview section of Wing World last summer. Told my dealer about it and he tracked it down for me.

I don't know anywhere else to buy it though, sorry.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree with the Kury. Goes with the spoiler and works well. I have done a lot of traveling and used the Kury matching bag in conjunction with the rack and it works great. Have had as much as 25-30# in the bag and all you need to do is snap the hold downs around the rack and go. Take it off and into a motel or Bunkhouse camper. Everyone has an opinion and I am sure there are others as good and maybe better.
Ron

·
Registered
584 Posts
RACK

THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT FRIENDS, I'LL JUST HAVE TO CLOSE MY EYES AND PICK ONE. (I think i just might stack the deck with Kury's tho)
STEVE

1 - 12 of 12 Posts