GL1800Riders Forums banner

Which octane of gas to use ?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Regular

One of the things I like most about my wing after years of riding beemers that required premium.

Reactions: yellowrex

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
878 Posts
Any - just not the green handle pump (diesel)...

Although a little diesel engine, turning a generator for a hybrid setup would be pretty darn slick!

Reactions: flevy1

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Nothing says you can't use the higher, more expensive, octane. It's your bike and your money.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Lately I've been using gas with no ethanol and many of the stations around me with that have only 89 or higher. If there is 87 non-ethanol then I'll get that. Otherwise, it's the lowest octane non-ethanol they have. If all they have is gas with ethanol then I'll get 87.

I really don't care about the cost of gas and never choose based on price.

·
Registered
16,978 Posts
Whatever is "regular" in the area I am riding. Octane ratings tend to change with local altitude, higher altitude requires less retarded fuel (lower octane).

prs

Reactions: charleetho and laen

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Colorado regular is 85 octane. That is what I use in my vehicles that call for 87 or lower. Wife's car, turbo 4 cylinder, calls for 91 and that is what it gets at Costco.

Id be curious how many insist on pure gas aka E0 vs E10. When we lived in Nebraska E0 was plentiful and not a lot more then E10 which ironic considering all the corn they grow.

In Colorado E0 is rare and at least $1.00 a gallon more. Last time I check it was $4.10 / gallon for 91.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
I always use what the manufacturer recommends, the cheap stuff. No benefits paying more for less.
There are macro-economic benefits to using more-expensive gasoline than the motorcycle requires. Think of it as contributing to our overall economic health.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts