GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking to pick up a gen 1 GL1800 shortly. Want to keep the price ~<$8k for budget reasons. I sold a 2016 Roadmaster whose payments (and HEAT) were making my life unpleasant. So I'm looking in the '06-10 range for a good deal and came across these two, both with nav:

'08, 58K miles, about 425 miles from me. $7200:

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcy/d/vancouver-goldwing/6973253562.html

'07, 40k miles, 850 miles from me, $6600, with bad nav screen (looks like about $315 for the part)

https://rapidcity.craigslist.org/mcy/d/rapid-city-2007-gl1800-honda-goldwing/6947562084.html

So, does anything jump out at you between the two that would lean you towards one? I'm leaning towards the '07, love the blue, but the maroon isn't bad; more miles but a year newer.

My thought is to buy now when prices are down, then unload my current ride (an M109R) in the spring. Just got back from a 3600 mile trip on it-quite bearable, but miss cruise, stereo and all the wind protection of a true touring bike. That one has Corbin, Rifle shield and mini-floorboards; the actual riding position was as comfortable as the Roadmaster-but my right wrist was sore on 650 mile days and the wind noise is surprisingly tiring. Looking for a 2-week trip next summer that will be around 8k, so comfort is a priority.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
476 Posts
which would you buy

I would go with the '08 myself. Trailer hitch is nice to have and you don't want to be repairing the navi screen. Forget about the 6 disc changer, most are trouble and I get the newer and not worry about mileage.

Billy

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Neither ad is giving me enough detail... BUT... I'd go for for the 2007 simply because it is an ABS bike and the 2008 is not.

The NAVI screen can be replaced - the whole unit is several hundred dollars from Honda but you can order just the LED panel itself for around $100 and replace just that. There is information on this board how to do that.

I think they are both decent deals but the 2007 with ABS and that low mileage is a steal.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
The '07 has a lien on the title. The seller may need your cash to free up the title from a finance company. That could cause a delay in obtaining the bike and will require you to trust the seller with your cash while you wait. I would steer clear of that unless the seller was a close friend or trustworthy relative.
I would not buy a bike without ABS brakes. I would contact the seller of the '08 to inquire about the ABS.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Neither ad is giving me enough detail... BUT... I'd go for for the 2007 simply because it is an ABS bike and the 2008 is not.

The NAVI screen can be replaced - the whole unit is several hundred dollars from Honda but you can order just the LED panel itself for around $100 and replace just that. There is information on this board how to do that.

I think they are both decent deals but the 2007 with ABS and that low mileage is a steal.
I missed it-didn't notice the ABS emblem-pretty much seals it for me. The nav screen is about $315 online IIRC, I'll have to look harder for the $100 one.

The '07 has a lien on the title. The seller may need your cash to free up the title from a finance company. That could cause a delay in obtaining the bike and will require you to trust the seller with your cash while you wait. I would steer clear of that unless the seller was a close friend or trustworthy relative.
I would not buy a bike without ABS brakes. I would contact the seller of the '08 to inquire about the ABS.
Yeah, I saw that as well. My intent would be to transfer the money to the lean holder rather than the seller, given the distance involved. Need to call about that. I'd plan on greyhound there on a Friday night, seal the deal and ride back sat/sun to avoid taking any more vacation time. The '08 is a lot simpler logistically-could rent a car and pay the dropoff fee and be back same day on the bike. I'm kinda liking that the '07 hasn't been "worked" as much hauling a trailer. Need to contact both sellers.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Another vote for the 07....lower mileage, ABS, cheaper price. I don’t believe the year means as much in the 06-10 model range. Same body style and features,09 started the satellite radio

Reactions: Brian Dunham

·
Registered
222 Posts
So all bikes with nav have ABS?

Brian, example of the market.
I bought a '06 with 36K miles recently for $8K.
Has Nav-ABS, Baker Built-Wings, Fog Lights, rear rack, skid plate, Highway pegs, and rear spoiler with those flashing rear brake lights.
I took off a bunch of chrome stuff, just not a fan. .
I did install new tires, brake pads, ABS sensor and fixed sticking switches.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
So all bikes with nav have ABS?

Brian, example of the market.
I bought a '06 with 36K miles recently for $8K.
Has Nav-ABS, Baker Built-Wings, Fog Lights, rear rack, skid plate, Highway pegs, and rear spoiler with those flashing rear brake lights.
I took off a bunch of chrome stuff, just not a fan. .
I did install new tires, brake pads, ABS sensor and fixed sticking switches.
No, not all NAVI bikes have ABS. Both of those bikes in the OP's post have NAVI but only the 2007 has ABS.

2001-2005: ABS or Non-ABS

Early 2006:
Level 1 (P): Premium Audio
Level 2 (HP): Add Comfort Package
Level 3 (HPN): Add Navigation
Level 4 (HPNA): Add ABS

Late 2006-2008:
Level 1 (P): Premium Audio
Level 2 (HPN): Add Comfort Package, Navigation
Level 3 (HPNA): Add ABS
Level 4 (B): Add Airbag

2009-2010:
Level 1 (HPM): Premium Audio, Comfort Package, TPMS
Level 2 (HPNM): Add Navigation/Weather/XM
Level 3 (HPNAM): Add ABS
Level 4 (BM): Add Airbag

2012-2017:
Level 1: Premium Audio, Comfort Package, TPMS
Level 2: Add Navigation/Weather/XM/Trip Planner
Level 3: Add ABS
Level 4: Add Airbag

My 2006 was a Level 4 when I bought it... Airbag wasn't available yet. So if you know GoldWings all you need to know is the top level item and year to know everything that is on a Wing. But most don't know so it's better to forget about the "levels" and just list the items on the bike.

2006 added bigger radiators and fans, bigger alternator, bigger front speakers (losing the small vents under the speakers).

2006-2008 had the first NAVI version with CF Cards, 2009-2010 had a improved version with SD cards, and 2012-2017 had an even better version where you could load your own routes via a second SD card.

2012 had improved front suspension (debatable), cosmetic changes, better GPS. I believe the CD player was no longer an option and there was a USB connector for playing songs from a thumb drive (or a Crapple Ipud).

2014 had improved transmission with 4th and 5th gears having improved dogs. GoldWingrGreg is a better source of info on that.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Both bikes are too old for 1 year of age difference to mean much.

I’d go with the lower mileage, assuming both have decent service records. If one has better records than the other, that would be a factor in its favor. ABS is worth something too, especially on these super heavy bikes. Modern ABS is so good, I’d hate to leave home without it.

Reactions: Brian Dunham

·
Registered
851 Posts
Hey Brian, did you see the beautiful red 08 on Spokane CL? $10,000, 26,000 miles, navigation. It’s over in Colbert, just a stones throw from you. I’m willing to bet he would take less at this time of year. Good luck. We should meet up for coffee sometime.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hey Brian I'll be up there the end of the month at my property ( Vay road ) if you want to meet for a coffee and show me which bike you chose? Maybe we can get Beckhardt to join us?

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
I must have missed were it said that the 07 have ABS, don't see it in the ad anywhere. I also don't believe that the color on the bike in the 08 ad was available on a 08 model.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Brian I'll be up there the end of the month at my property ( Vay road ) if you want to meet for a coffee and show me which bike you chose? Maybe we can get Beckhardt to join us?
I'm just around the corner from you-by Jewel Lake! Go down Vay Road all the time (though usually on the KTM). Would love to meet up with another Winger.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I must have missed were it said that the 07 have ABS, don't see it in the ad anywhere. I also don't believe that the color on the bike in the 08 ad was available on a 08 model.
If you're on the puter instead of a phone and zoom in on the front fork you can see the ABS emblem. I missed it too until William posted and I really zoomed in.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
ABS is something I never wanted, and all the vehiicals I've ever owned that had it over time I wish didn't because makes working on the brakes and keeping the system working a constant struggle. If you can buy a non ABS you are better off. I would look at the 08 first. I love my 08 without ABS, and glad it doesn't have it.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
If you're on the puter instead of a phone and zoom in on the front fork you can see the ABS emblem. I missed it too until William posted and I really zoomed in.
I see it now, it still wouldn't be the only deciding factor for me. I still maintain that the pictures represented in the 08 ad is wrong, the pictures in the ad is likely a 09 or a 08 with 09 skin. It warrants further investigation.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts