GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a front Stones 709.
Now which rear should I buy?
I can get my hands onto another Stones 704 or a Metzs with the G on the sidewall.
Both rears will be a 60 series.
I am heavy into the twisties with the full front and rear Traxxion suspension. Touching peg feelers is not uncommon :lol:

I don't want to open the can of worms too, far BUT should I look at a 70 series rear with my riding style. I don't think I should but I always have an open ear or two eyes to read and get educated.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
An expert I am not, but I would think that the fatter 60 series would be better grip in the twisties. It seems that would be better than the extra clearance you'd get with the 70 series.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
If you like the twitchy feel of a 929 or big Gixxer, you might like the 70 with Traxxion.
Otherwise, I'd go Metzeler 60. If you're scraping too much hard stuff, raise your suspension and learn to hang off better. Now that I have Traxxion I hardly scrape any more, even 2-up.

·
Registered
411 Posts
After running through a Metz 70 on the rear in 6500 miles I am going to the 70 Z rated Stones and giving them a try. I prefer the 70 series my self but there was a slight feeling of twitchyness which went away or I got used to it in a short time.

The Traxxion front and rear brings the bike to such a high level of handling that the tire mileage goes down as a result.I think that the bike hooks up so much better that this is the price that one pays for the increased pleasure.

Redeye

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
If you like the twitchy feel of a 929 or big Gixxer, you might like the 70 with Traxxion.
Otherwise, I'd go Metzeler 60. If you're scraping too much hard stuff, raise your suspension and learn to hang off better. Now that I have Traxxion I hardly scrape any more, even 2-up.
Ditto

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
ddking said:
Arn Butt Bill said:
Ditto
Yep...I gotta admit...the Traxxion FULL suspension (front and rear) is SOMETHING ELSE... :yes:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THANKS FOR THE QUICK RESPONES

B4 the suspension upgrade I wore down two sets of peg feeler and the rubber foot grips on the bottom side of the pegs.
Once on the Tail and only made about 4 passes and the last time was following Yellow Wolf (or trying to follow him :roll: ) at WingStock.
My stock rear shock starts at about 2 to 3 setting and I had it on about 18 if I recall correctly.
At the gap the pegs were dragging so bad I was lifting my foot off the pegs to keep from wearing down the pegs so quickly. That was including hanging off the seat also.
At WingStock I had to really lay it over in one turn to keep it in the lane and I scrapped the paint off the right header cover. PoleCat and RRIXX were behind me and they both said they stepped out. :lol:
Last weekend I was up in the NC Mtns and got to try the new suspension out. I had the shock setting on 20. Peg drag was greatly improved but not eliminated.
I know the Wing is not a sport bike and I'm trying to ride it like one. I am just so impressed with its handling.
I have a brand new Kaw 600 seating in the garage and not riding it. I got the new 05 Wing in early Aug of this year and it has 6000 miles on it, the Kaw I got in late March and it only has 3000 miles on it, go figure.
Being smoother is key to not dragging. This is what I need to get better at. On a sport bike you have so much more clearance that you can toss it down anywhere in the curve and come on out. You can't get away with that on the Wing when your are riding aggressively.

My last question on this post.
Please describe how the bike handles differently between the 60 and the 70 in hard riding turns. thanks Mike

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
My impresisions - been thru 7 pairs of 60s. Went thru a pair of 70 metzs. Now part way thru a pair 70 Stones.

70s are taller. More cornering clearance. Not as stiff. Higher load rating. Less tread plies. Little more flex, so you could say 'twitchy'. Wear out faster. Make you shift a little sooner on the hills or for passing. Increase lean angle on sidestand. Not much road to tire clearance on the centerstand. Stick better in corners.

After 7 pair of 'normal' GL tires, I will not go back to 60 again. I liked the 70 Metz, but tried a G850-G851 Stone because of the Z speed rating. Just ordered a second set of Z G850/G851 Stones. Half gone, still stick like glue, still super smooth, and do really well in the water. Good enough for me. But we all have our likes and our styles.

Just for info, while I was playing with the handling limits of the tires, I had the bike leaned over so far that I felt if one plug did not fire, I was going to be all the way down. It was over so far I could taste Naugehyde, but the tires did not even twitch, even when I hit a tar spot. Decided right there test was over. And twenty minutes later, my pulse rate was back down, too.

Besides, HDL has them on sale and in stock for $240 delivered. Beat that.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
HI some people have no trouble but I had a new metz (G on sidewall ) come apart 2500 miles!!! Sheila (motorcyclemomma40) had a metz come apart & metz will NOT waranty it!!! (I have not had time to take care of mine!!) ......so take your chances...I dont like dealing with companys who dont fix thier problems (& metz has had alot)......chuck

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now that's what I was looking for:

IR Harry said:
My impresisions - been thru 7 pairs of 60s. Went thru a pair of 70 metzs. Now part way thru a pair 70 Stones.

70s are taller. More cornering clearance. Not as stiff. Higher load rating. Less tread plies. Little more flex, so you could say 'twitchy'. Wear out faster. Make you shift a little sooner on the hills or for passing. Increase lean angle on sidestand. Not much road to tire clearance on the centerstand. Stick better in corners.

After 7 pair of 'normal' GL tires, I will not go back to 60 again. I liked the 70 Metz, but tried a G850-G851 Stone because of the Z speed rating. Just ordered a second set of Z G850/G851 Stones. Half gone, still stick like glue, still super smooth, and do really well in the water. Good enough for me. But we all have our likes and our styles.

Just for info, while I was playing with the handling limits of the tires, I had the bike leaned over so far that I felt if one plug did not fire, I was going to be all the way down. It was over so far I could taste Naugehyde, but the tires did not even twitch, even when I hit a tar spot. Decided right there test was over. And twenty minutes later, my pulse rate was back down, too.

Besides, HDL has them on sale and in stock for $240 delivered. Beat that.

Not biased (But we all have our likes and our styles.) and plenty of good detailed info.

Was anything dragging (It was over so far I could taste Naugehyde, but the tires did not even twitch) when you were leaned over so far?

thanks for all of the comments but please keep them coming!

·
Registered
24 Posts
70 series tires

Hi WeKneeDragger,

I have Traxxion both front and rear with the E3 70 series tire. Last week with suspension set at 14, and two up, dragged pegs in West Virginia chasing a few FJR'S in the mountains.
Otherwise I absolutely love the 70 series and will not go back.
CAUTION. Tires may have to be rebalanced about the time they are half worn or else it's WOBBLE time when you exceed 100 mph.
Traxxion makes it all different.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: 70 series tires

Another wing said:
Hi WeKneeDragger,

I have Traxxion both front and rear with the E3 70 series tire. Last week with suspension set at 14, and two up, dragged pegs in West Virginia chasing a few FJR'S in the mountains.
Otherwise I absolutely love the 70 series and will not go back.
CAUTION. Tires may have to be rebalanced about the time they are half worn or else it's WOBBLE time when you exceed 100 mph.
Traxxion makes it all different.
Thanks Another wing
Why the wobble, tire just out of balance ater usage?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts