GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Which Operating System (OS) do you use?

• Windows 98

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows 2000

• Windows XP

• LINUX (Which LINUX version, specify in thread)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering which Operating System folks use to access this forum. Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Linux (which one?)...etc

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vista is still in Beta...so I didn't include it...lol

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Mac OS X on the MacBook, Windows XP SP2 on my Gateway and Sony machines. All connected via wireless. Nice.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I've heard some bad vibes from my computer friends concerning the Vista. It is supposed to be twice as fast and half the size of XP. They are finding it twice as large and slower than XP. What is your take?

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW...I should have included MAC...Didn't think folks were using alot of MAC/Apple....hummmmmmm

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dicepilot said:
I've heard some bad vibes from my computer friends concerning the Vista. It is supposed to be twice as fast and half the size of XP. They are finding it twice as large and slower than XP. What is your take?
I have played with the Beta...my take...lol...it's Microsoft...

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
dicepilot said:
My take is that it's BETA. That means not done. Still testing. Don't even bother with it.

It will be out for at least a year before I even consider using it. They call it being on the "bleeding edge" for a reason. :lol:

It will be great when the real world testing is complete.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mac

We use Mac OS 10.4.8. Four Macs in our home all effortlessly networked. WiFi is easy on a Mac. How could you leave Mac OS off the survey?

Sherrel D

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Your list barely covers what I use. :lol:

Here at home, we have the following running and in use, right now:

Master Bedroom: Two 12" Apple notebooks running OS X
Linda's Office: PC running XP, Mac Mini running OS X
My Office: PC running Windows 2000, PC running Mandrake Linux 2006, PC running Fedora Core 5, Mac running OS X, 15" Mac notebook running OS X Server.

That's nine computers, 1 XP, 1 Win2000, 2 Linux and 5 running OS X If you're keeping score. And if it counts, several of my machines have Virtual PC or VMWare on them with multiple client OS virtual machines at my beck and call.

I currently have four other servers/desktop machines that aren't powered on but run Linux or XP. Plus three older pc notebooks, one with Windows XP, two with older versions of Fedora Linux.

Oh yeah, forgot the Quantum Snap file server and the TiVO Series One DVR, both running Linux.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
gwlrhfarm said:
WOW...I should have included MAC...Didn't think folks were using alot of MAC/Apple....hummmmmmm
You (and much of the rest of the world) would be surprised if folks new how many computers were running OS X or Linux.

It's still a drop in the bucket compared to Windows. But that's because 99.8% of non-Apple, store bought personal computers come with a "free" copy of Windows.

Linux is probably heavily undercounted because those that report this stuff only counts retail sales. One can download one DVD of Linux and legally install it on a thousand machines that came with Windows XP. But the official figures would show those as one thousand XP machines.

94% of clients hitting my webservers identify themselves as running some flavor of Windows. Then again, from looking at those log files, a large number of those are bots or trojans trying to exploit my server. (You can tell because of the commands they issue.) So it's probably more like 80% of the REAL people visiting my servers are running Windows. The rest use OS X, Linux, Playstation and even WebTV in that order I think.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Mac OSX on 4 machines.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts