GL1800Riders Forums banner

Which peg are you more likely to scrape?

• Left

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Right

• Equal

• Neither

• No acorn nuts left to grind

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Last Sunday, I not only scraped the pegs but tore the lower air deflector up and scraped the lower cowl and belly pan. :shock:
Ridin 2 up comming down 276 from Caesers Head State park I went into a hard right hander way to fast, first heard plastic bustin then metal scrapin that casued me to pull up a little and shot across the line towards the other side of the road. I then Laid hard to the right and finished the curve, did not stop untill I got home about 30 miles away. That gave me time to calm down and pull the jeans out of my butt. The wife did a great job staying still and quiet. My buddy behind me said he saw much sparking and plastic flying and was fixin to call 911......But I made it,...... I let him lead the rest of the ride at a slower pace.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KC has the better half shown you what a rolling pin is for now that she is home and safe? Hope she doesn't put knots on your head. Glad you made it O.K.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
I've scraped a few pegs.

I had the Baker foot wings on the 1800.... the first day after i installed them I scraped the Bakers on a left turn in town. THe noise of the plastic scraping really got my attention

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I like that. No nuts to grind! Story of my Wings.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if I am driving the same bike
as you grinders. I have to really try hard to grind
my added on highway pegs. And it takes several tries,
it is not like I can grind every time (on the wing).

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't mind dragging pegs when I expecting it but I don't like it when a dip in the road drives the pegs hard into the pavement. If you roll out of the throttle and stand it up the bike runs wide into the oncoming lane. That's a bad thing if there a car coming. I'm trying to train myself to stay in the throttle and keep the bike in my lane.It's hard to overcome instinct but more throttle seems to be the answer to finishing the curve in hte correct lane. Has this worked for you?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
That's the right idea. Stay on the throttle. The worst thing you can do is back off the throttle in a curve. Even without the dip in the road a sudden deceleration could cause the bike to ground out. Steady or increasing throttle will smooth out most turns.

That said I still hate when I did not see a dip in the turn. It usually means I screwwed up and did not read the turn very well. But at least I've learned not to back off.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Peg grinder survey

The numbers do not surprise me. For the not frequent grinders, the left will be more often unless you are in England (or other left side country). The larger turn radius makes for a faster turn and easier to get to the contact point without realizing it. I have less of a left peg than a right but not by much. Now for my real surprise is a couple of slightly ground down bolts holding on my muffler tips (one on each).

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Of course, I think I've only scraped twice in the 14 months that I've had this bike. It's got such a high clearance compared to the 1100, that it's not as easy to scrape as it used to be. I seem to be taking corners a lot faster and with more confidence too! It's quite a feisty ride!

Barco lounger, my eye!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I know right where I will do it too. The top of route 8 between Raparius and Wevertown, NY going east only. Right side preferance.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Scraping Pegs?
I'll have you know that I've scraped my handlebars weights more than once. Now that's real scraping!
O.k., I scraped the wall once or twice pushing the bike into my garage!

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
The comment about engine guards bothers me. Seriously. If you are scraping hard parts on the bike other than the foot pegs (which fold up when scrapped) then you are only a few millimeters from levering a wheel off the ground and loosing control of the bike. Hard parts that are fastened to the frame of the bike, do not give when they contact the road, unlike the footpegs.

There is a reason why there are feelers on the pegs. They serve as a warning that you are near the limit of your available ground clearance. If you continue to push the bike over further after the pegs touch down, you are asking for touble. Folks who drag highway pegs in corners are also taking a big risk. I know of one rider on the GL1800 that lost his life in a corner and the highway pegs were a contributing factor to him loosing control in a corner he took too fast, as the evidence from the crash scene revealed that they had drug just before the front wheel was levered off the ground and he went off the side of a mountain.

You also should replace the acorn nuts on the footpegs when they get worn. If you want more ground clearance, I suggest you invest in a Works Performance shock. It will just about elimante all dragging of parts in corners, unless you are extremly aggressive.

As for the question about which side drags more frequently, I can tell you for certain that most riders will drag the right peg more often than the left. Because the radius on a right hand turn is tighter, and it requires less speed to acheive a steeper lean angle. Also, you lean away from oncoming traffic on a right turn, so your bike is not hanging out over the centerline like in a left turn. This also makes it easier to lean further right than left.

Take a look at this picture of the remains of a highway peg mount that contacted the ground and contributed to the death of the rider. There is a lesson to be learned here.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The poll needs a 6th option

I havn't scraped a peg yet but I am on my second pair of boots.........the sole at the toes keep waring out!
:oops:
Al

·
Chard Member
12,965 Posts
The comment about engine guards bothers me. Seriously. If you are scraping hard parts on the bike other than the foot pegs (which fold up when scrapped) then you are only a few millimeters from levering a wheel off the ground and loosing control of the bike. Hard parts that are fastened to the frame of the bike, do not give when they contact the road, unlike the footpegs.
Thanks for being concerned Fred! LOL... Just Kidding! You have alot of lean left after the pegs are dragging.

If you never test the limits, you'll never know what those limits are! :shock:

The exhaust covers seem to drag first after the pegs fold up. Then the chrome covers on the front of the mufflers. The brake pedal will drag also before you get to the crash bar on the right.

I've been riding Wings since my late 20's, 24 years ago. I'm probably a little more comfortable throwing a Wing around than most. I knew what the limit was with each model and I didn't try to pass that threshold. The 1800 handles like a jewel. If people want to ride them like a two wheeled car, that is fine with me.

I agree with the way some people have highway pegs mounted. They scare the heck out of me! :(

If I crash & burn in a corner, you can be guaranteed I'll be going down with a goofy grin on my face! :D

Different Strokes.....

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would have thought that it would have been left, but having just crawled under a couple of nights ago and looked around for cracks in subframe members, I can say that mine are equally ground down. It's definitely time to replace the acorn nuts (I'm not sure there's enough left to get a wrench on, so it could be interesting), and I really should put some clear polish or something on the engine guards -- the flat bits are starting to rust.

Pax,
MMe
with Kury highway wings on the vertical bars rather than the horizontals out of fear of just what Fred H. describes above

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have scraped both of my Tulsa wing mirror deflectors, :yes: now I have to order more from wingtoys. :yes2:

:1st: :rw1: :1st:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts