• My choice isn't listed - add to your comments

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you could only attend one rally this year, which one would it be?

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Wings over the Smokies. All of the vendors are there, great riding within 10 minutes, the vendors are not on top of each other and it isn't so packed you can't take time to talk to any of the vendors.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
Wingstock/Catscade.
Americade would be runner up.
Arn Butt Bill

Bulldog will correct me if I am wrong or he will say if I am correct. I don't think that Catscade was really ever intended to be a "Rally". I helped get it started so it would be a place to meet new people, and get to ride some of the prettiest country in the North East. Kind of lay back, ride and have fun, no pressing time allotments to anything in particular except when and where to eat.

Just my thought on it.

I don't do rallies that much myself. I have gone to WOTS two times and never set foot on the grounds. Rode down with some great people and then rode the backroads and came back home.

Ross

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sturgis, one day in Sturgis and the rest of the time riding the area.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
5Ross said:
Arn Butt Bill said:
Wingstock/Catscade.
Americade would be runner up.
Arn Butt Bill
Bulldog will correct me if I am wrong or he will say if I am correct. I don't think that Catscade was really ever intended to be a "Rally". I helped get it started so it would be a place to meet new people, and get to ride some of the prettiest country in the North East. Kind of lay back, ride and have fun, no pressing time allotments to anything in particular except when and where to eat.
Ross
Same with Wingstock; that's what I like about them.
Throw in a couple of vendors and, oh my gosh, it turns into a rally. A victim of its own success.

Big rallies are too commercial and attract too many knobs. The wheelie crowd and the show me your t*ts crowd aren't for me anymore.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Any long distant (LD) Rider get together is what draws my attendance. It is made up primarily of IBA members so you get to see all the neatest farkles installed on bikes set up specifically for long distance riding/rallys. I just went to an LD Rider RTE in Guadalupe, CA just last weekend. It was 248 miles one way from my house. The rider who came from the longest distance rode 293 miles, and most were between 230-250 one way miles from home to get there. There were only 20 bikes in attendance, but it ended up being a good number for a lunch and B.S. session.

It is interesting how rallys are a big draw for people from the East coast but people on the West coast are more likely to do their own thing, riding alone or in small groups of 2-3 riders. Maybe it has something to do with there being so many great roads all over the west and the fact that we can ride almost year round. Being spread out also makes getting together for a ride a little more difficult. Either that or the people on the East coast are so starved for anything to do with motorcycles that they are drawn together like bears to honey. Another possibility is that people from the East are really friendly and sociable and us on the West coast are anti-social SOBs. :shock: Naw!

I am a member of the Southern California Motorcycle Riders Association (SCMA). They only put on 12-14 rides a year and their attendance is dropping little by little. Heck, I often put on more miles getting to the start and returning home from the finish of an SCMA ride than I spend on the official ride!

Yes, we have the charity rides that are really big with the H-D crowd. What we do not have are rallys the size of Americade, Bike Week, or Sturgis. Several years ago, John Dutcher, the organizer of Americade in New York, thought he would start an Americade West and choose Estes Park, CO at its site. It started out well and attendance grew for the first couple of years, but then it dropped off.

Those kinds of rallys have a certain inertia to them. If they are growing, the vendors come, the sales go up, and they tend to keep attracting more attendees, up to the point it becomes a logistical nightmare because there are too many people to be supported by the local resources.

On the other hand, if attendance starts to wane, the vendors tend to opt out, and the attraction for attendees is reduced, and it dies on the vine. That is what ended up happening to Americade West. On the last year, the city of Estes Park took it over and their pandering of local businesses drove a stake through the heart of the rally.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Sturgis

Sturgis for the riding hands down! Best riding I've been on and not just one ride. Several are really nice but Needles Canyon is best because only bikes can ride it all the way through. If you've been there you know what I mean.

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
". . . . the show me your t*ts crowd aren't for me anymore."

You can get them fixed if you've got a problem in that area Bill!

Bradford

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I have never been to Sturgis.... as of yet.. but if the creek does not rise I plan to attend this year...we have room reservations in Rapid City... so right now..I would have to say Daytona...
I like it because its lots of motorcycles.. and I really enjoy the races..

cosmic

·
Registered
19,050 Posts
Good question. I did the Wing Ding last year,it was OK. Looking for more riding than it offers. (with the Ding for most the riding is done just to get there)Plan on the Honda Hoot for the riding and vendors in 2007 . I would like to do a different one each year.

Variety is the spice of life

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sturgis - going up the week before, staying in Keystone, riding the area before the big crowds, going into Sturgis on Mon, heading home Tue.

CCR - the organizers always hold it in great locations with great accomidations. This year, Tan-Tar-A Resort in Missouri.

regards

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
I'm not into the 'Rally Scene', ( OK, I lie :oops: ) but I really enjoy the get-togethers this Board has offered.

It's sitting down and shoot'n the bull with the folks I have met on this Board that I enjoy !!!! I've made some strong friendships over the past few years that can not be replaced. I have been fortunate to learn alot from others, and have enjoyed contributing to benefit others.

so........................when is the next gathering in the parking lot??? :beer8:

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
So Hedo, that was a Rally in the parking lot up in the Dells? Then that is my kind of Rally.

Like your avatar....

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I like the smaller get togethers like catscade and this year were gonna hit Rockies Gold. From there were headinf to Sturgis. We'll be there monday 7/30 and leave the next day around noon. Staying in Deadwood. From there, Yellowstone and glacier national park. Tim

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I've been a winger for only three years, was with HRCA for one and GWRRA! If you want to have a collection plate handed to you, go to theirs! I'm no longer a member to either, I just like to ride with others or Solo and enjoy the experience by myself or with my wife! We're going to Rockies-Gold to enjoy our experience and meet some good people. If I were to answer your ? It would be Rockies-Gold or Cats-Cade. I would like to go to visit Cats-Cade but can't do Both!

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I prefer get togethers. Can't stand the rallies, unless I am just in a parking lot like the RRI and watching the folks that are coming and going to the rally. Real Fun. :lol:

I prefer Cats-Cade, but unfortunately I won't be able to make this one...LOL

Dawg

·
Registered
393 Posts
Minnesota Patriot Guard Rally. June 23 2007...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts