GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally had some time to make some short snippets with the GoPro and I'm feeling more confident with using it. I'm curious as to which resolution level everyone is using and what your satisfaction results are.

I have a wonderful 4 day trip beginning Thursday up into the beautiful south western roads of Wisconsin. I know I'm not going to shoot in r5 and will most likely use r4 (default resolution), I would be most interested in your opinions. I want to make sure I am using the best resolutions before our Lake Superior trip in August and Rockies-Gold in Sept. :thumbup:

After using it for the last several days I've actually found that it is less intimidating than I thought and the directions are helpful. It's all about practice, practice, practice.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine mainly stays on the R5. There is times when I change to R3 for the higher frame rate.

·
Banned
1,911 Posts
Hey any of you guys know why mine ( i bought it off a member on here:cry:)
only records for about a min then stops. I have to hit the record again to get another minute???

·
Registered
33 Posts
I like R2 it gives me a better view of the sides and not so much the road, what I have learned is that if you go into any elevation or tempter change and don’t have the open back your inside lines will fog up. We just got back from our trip to CA Hwy 1 and Creator Lake and it started fogging up on our way up the mountain.
They make inserts that go into the sealed box to prevent this and cost around 14 bucks for 3 sets. When I got home I looked up the cause and found that they now make these inserts for that reason.

Ride safe

·
Registered
250 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
That's interesting. I've ridden on some roads that varied quite a bit in elevation. Up and over the Big horn mountains, gone from Yellowstone to Cody back up the Chief J Hwy to Beartooth and then down into Redlodge. I've ridden through the La Plata, San Juan, and West Elk Mountains in Colorado and never had any fogging inside the sealed case of my GoPro. I wonder why you had issues and I didn't. :shrug:

...what I have learned is that if you go into any elevation or tempter change and don’t have the open back your inside lines will fog up. We just got back from our trip to CA Hwy 1 and Creator Lake and it started fogging up on our way up the mountain.
They make inserts that go into the sealed box to prevent this and cost around 14 bucks for 3 sets. When I got home I looked up the cause and found that they now make these inserts for that reason.

Ride safe

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I prefer the R5 setting for 2 reasons. The high resolution and the narrower field of view. I like the reduced distortion of the narrow field. I can shoot video all day on a 32G card without coming close to running out of room. I normally shoot 5-10 min segments of interesting areas.

I've finally had some time to make some short snippets with the GoPro and I'm feeling more confident with using it. I'm curious as to which resolution level everyone is using and what your satisfaction results are.

I have a wonderful 4 day trip beginning Thursday up into the beautiful south western roads of Wisconsin. I know I'm not going to shoot in r5 and will most likely use r4 (default resolution), I would be most interested in your opinions. I want to make sure I am using the best resolutions before our Lake Superior trip in August and Rockies-Gold in Sept. :thumbup:

After using it for the last several days I've actually found that it is less intimidating than I thought and the directions are helpful. It's all about practice, practice, practice.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That's interesting. I've ridden on some roads that varied quite a bit in elevation. Up and over the Big horn mountains, gone from Yellowstone to Cody back up the Chief J Hwy to Beartooth and then down into Redlodge. I've ridden through the La Plata, San Juan, and West Elk Mountains in Colorado and never had any fogging inside the sealed case of my GoPro. I wonder why you had issues and I didn't. :shrug:
I bought the new view finder that plugs in the back of the GoPro, I wonder if that has anything to do with it, but the seal looked like it was good.
1. The inside of my housing lens keeps fogging up.
· Temperature differences between the air inside and outside of the housing, can cause condensation to occur on the inside of the lens. Here are several things you can do to prevent fogging of the lens.
· If you are not using the camera in an application where the closed back door is needed, use the open back door. The open back door will allow the outside in inside housing temps to be equalized so that no fogging will occur.
· Close the housing in a dry atmosphere.
· GoPro has developed it’s own Anti-Fog Inserts for the HD HERO camera. The kit includes 3 sets of desiccant inserts, and retails at $14.99. Each set lasts 4-5 uses and can be dried in an oven (3 minutes) to be reused.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
My trip out across the the big horn mountains and Yellowstone area was without the LCD plug in.

My trip across the CO mountains and the up and down elevation changes I saw from Phoenix to the GC, to Zion and Bryce NP was with the LCD back attached.
I bought the new view finder that plugs in the back of the GoPro, I wonder if that has anything to do with it, but the seal looked like it was good.
1. The inside of my housing lens keeps fogging up.
· Temperature differences between the air inside and outside of the housing, can cause condensation to occur on the inside of the lens. Here are several things you can do to prevent fogging of the lens.
· If you are not using the camera in an application where the closed back door is needed, use the open back door. The open back door will allow the outside in inside housing temps to be equalized so that no fogging will occur.
· Close the housing in a dry atmosphere.
· GoPro has developed it’s own Anti-Fog Inserts for the HD HERO camera. The kit includes 3 sets of desiccant inserts, and retails at $14.99. Each set lasts 4-5 uses and can be dried in an oven (3 minutes) to be reused.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts